Old 09-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #42

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat.
By the time I'm ready to sell, at least 10 years of owning the boat, me thinks there won't be much left of significant value. Not to mention that by then I will have weeded out most of the unused and unneeded items. And let's not forget there won't be near enough room aboard an NT40 for all the things I can put aboard a DD492. Just Sayin'

Old 09-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #43
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
And yet no one mentions a Radar, GPS/chartplotter, Depth Sounder, Auto Pilot, AIS, VHF/DCS, paper charts, charting hardware, etc. etc.

Maybe some assumptions....
I did mention some of those things in post #12.

We don't all need all of those things. It depends on how, when and where we boat. Just the same as nearly all the things that have been suggested.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #44
FF
Guru

"Find a guy like Diesel Duck that wants to sell his boat, buy boat fully equipped, move all equipment aboard your new NT40, sell boat."

The point here is a dock/lake cottage and cruiser are outfitted very differently.

A boat advertised as a liveaboard may have little of use on board for cruising.

But the STYLE of boat you desire , the change over can take big bucks., years
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #45
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
You'll probably laugh at this one...

Don't know if your boat is big enough to have a vice in the engine room, but a small vice bolted to a 1.5' to 2' piece of 2x6 (so you can hold/brace it with your feet while squatting or sitting and have both hands free to work) can be real 'handy' when drilling or filing small things.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #46

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Toilet paper. All of the sockets and rode chain in the world doesn't matter if you run out.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #47
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.

The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores.
50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.
Good Stuff
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #48
FOG

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
You'll probably laugh at this one...

Don't know if your boat is big enough to have a vice in the engine room, but a small vice bolted to a 1.5' to 2' piece of 2x6 (so you can hold/brace it with your feet while squatting or sitting and have both hands free to work) can be real 'handy' when drilling or filing small things.
I'm not laughing ......

I have had a vice mounted to a 2x6 that fits into a Black & Decker Workmate for years and I don't have to hold it with my feet.

Also have a two wheel grinder & buffer and a cheap Harbor Freight drill press mounted on 2x6s. Everything breaks down and folds up for boat storage.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #49
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Do I need... Some buckets? A good knife in order to cut lines? Binoculars? Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. You get the point.

The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores.
50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.
Good Stuff
If you add vinegar to your wash down water it will remove the salt better.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #50
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
One thing I found helpful was a small portable fan to use in working in the ER. Cant remember the brand but it had a Lithium Ion battery that would last for a couple hours on high. About $30 at HD.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #51
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Another thing one might not think of. Vacuum sealing. Small sealer for food and parts and small things. Then the big storage bags for blankets or sweaters or anything you don't need at the moment. They're reusable and great for protection and for reducing the space requirements.

Vacuum sealing. Small and Dry. That's the plan.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #52

City: NJ
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug (NT40)
WOW... Thank you all for the responses! I took lots of notes and had a great time in Newport. In the end, I did indeed sign for NT40-05 and educated myself with both the Garmin and Raymarine electronics packages. (The last significant "option" I had to select). I won't dare ask you all which you prefer because even with as little experience as I have I sense that question is like asking "Donald or Hilary?". Anyway - Safe and Happy Cruising to you all. My wife and I are even more excited now as we transition from "armchair" to "actual". Hope to contribute regularly to TF as/when able.
TK
tomkallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #53
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Someone told me vinegar is awesome to have in a spray bottle for cleaning just about anything, etc. etc. The white vinegar goes into small buckets in the bilge areas to control odors and kill mold spores. 50/50 Bleach/Water cleans up any dark splotches of dirt and mold in hatches and storage areas without any scrubbing. Just spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse.
A long time ago I created my own industrial strength cleaner for the bilge. Mixed ammonia with bleach... boy was that exciting!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #54
Guru

City: Sydney
Learn to except one boat dollar in real life = $1000

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote