1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
What's the problem with the just go? Depends entirely on where, how and who...
When we bought our boat we had no experience. We only had a 2h "training" with the PO.
We left Kingston, ON to carry the boat to Hawkesbury, ON through Rideau waterway and Ottawa river, a 7 days cruise, 48 locks.
This was the best experience and adventure of my life!
Were we prepared? Certainly. I spent a year reading all I could about the Rideau, the lake, the river, how to handle boats etc etc.
Was I experienced? Not at all, just theory.
But everything went well, first locks were a 3 locks stairs. Lockmaster were warned we were rookies and were very helpful and reassuring. They told us we were the first boat of the season to go through the whole waterway, this added to our proud to do it.
Like some says if you want to know how to swim you need to jump in the water, that was it. In everything I am a self learner and learn by experience and watching others, that may not be the case for everybody.
Would I try it if it was ocean crossing? No I am not a mad man, but I was just feeling capable of doing it that way, and did it.

Edit: If the boat would have looked like this one, I would just have ran far far away in another galaxy lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Good luck to him. It's not my idea of a good time though.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
"...it's gutted and in my price range..."

Wow... When I saw the light coming thru the fiberglass, I just shook my head. That thought was re-enforced by all the leaks. The look on her face when the boat was leaking like a sieve, was priceless...like, "Why am I here?".
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Gene. GREAT to see you back. How ya' doin?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
God looks after drunks and sailors.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Train wreck.
Looks to be the next sunk derelict on the AICW. All they need to add is a Go Fund Me page for their YouTube reality adventure.

Hope they don't kill themselves in the process.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Train wreck.
Looks to be the next sunk derelict on the AICW. All they need to add is a Go Fund Me page for their YouTube reality adventure.

Ted
A good example of why states pass min boating education regs. Haven't checked VA but wonder if they require boater ed or not?
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Funny, this popped up on my You Tube as a suggested video the other day. All I can say is..............<SMH>.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
It’s only 200 miles, what could possibly happen??
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
It’s only 200 miles, what could possibly happen??

famous last words...
Old 11-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Why not? It's not as if he's circumnavigating.

Far more people die waiting to buy a boat, than die on one that is inadequate.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Alberta
Quote:
Train wreck.

Ted

There is an explosion of you tube boat building projects, fixer upper and cruising adventures, all asking for donations (either via patreon or other). Some I follow with enthusiasm (such as Project Brupeg, Dangar Marine, SV Seeker, Building Mistress, etc and they are very good), but a lot of just “watch me” you tube videos are silly or too full of themselves...
It seems it is easy money for some.
Dan_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_can View Post
There is an explosion of you tube boat building projects, fixer upper and cruising adventures, all asking for donations (either via patreon or other). Some I follow with enthusiasm (such as Project Brupeg, Dangar Marine, SV Seeker, Building Mistress, etc and they are very good), but a lot of just “watch me” you tube videos are silly or too full of themselves...
It seems it is easy money for some.
I was just talking to The Admiral about this. It seems quite the in-vogue thing to do, whether it be boating or home-steading or constant vacations. The “send money to me so I can live out some fantasy” crowd. Seems a lot of them, if not all, are millennials. I guess work is “hard”. They shall not get a dime from us...
Old 11-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
I was just talking to The Admiral about this. It seems quite the in-vogue thing to do, whether it be boating or home-steading or constant vacations. The “send money to me so I can live out some fantasy” crowd. Seems a lot of them, if not all, are millennials. I guess work is “hard”. They shall not get a dime from us...
I patronize a few cruising channels. It's not a lot, but I know how much effort and time it takes to make the videos they post. I enjoy watching and following along, and I'm happy to pay for the pleasure in some cases. It's only the handful that I've really bonded with.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I patronize a few cruising channels. It's not a lot, but I know how much effort and time it takes to make the videos they post. I enjoy watching and following along, and I'm happy to pay for the pleasure in some cases. It's only the handful that I've really bonded with.
God bless, America. You have the freedom to do so...at least until the leftists say otherwise.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
After watching the video, I came away trying to decide whether it was real or not. Have they never been on a boat before, or is this just acting? After thinking about it for a while, I decided it was just acting. You show up with almost nothing like an episode of Survivor, and finish the 1st episode with some above average drone footage while only being on a boat for the second time. Had to wait an extra month for the hottest week of the summer and what first episode would be complete without thunderstorms for some early drama.

Sad part is there will probably be some real "non boaters" following in their footsteps.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
After watching the video, I came away trying to decide whether it was real or not. Have they never been on a boat before, or is this just acting? After thinking about it for a while, I decided it was just acting. You show up with almost nothing like an episode of Survivor, and finish the 1st episode with some above average drone footage while only being on a boat for the second time. Had to wait an extra month for the hottest week of the summer and what first episode would be complete without thunderstorms for some early drama.

Sad part is there will probably be some real "non boaters" following in their footsteps.

Ted

It could very well be acting and / or edited to look like whatever they want it to look like. In my opinion, most of these “cheap & adventurous” are in you tube for the cash they can make. It is most likely garbage adventure anyway (yes, their drone is far from cheap though...)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I think they are the young and are fairly adventurous types.. she looks along for the ride . The drone can be had for $ 300.. so not high dollar. Look at the other video of the houseboat they are working on.. its a P.O.S. but they probably get a lot of bang for the buck. Actors? not likely.. just millennial types out doing something a bit different. I watched it for the waterway stuff which was at least interesting.

As was mentioned previously there do seem to be a LOT of folks doing this stuff in boats, planes, campers, bikes, motorcycles that appear to make a living at it.. good for them.. might as well make something for having a camera stuck in your face all the time. Do I give money to any of them?? nope. But if they make a few bucks endorsing something or linking something to their site good for them
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I think they are the young and are fairly adventurous types.. she looks along for the ride . The drone can be had for $ 300.. so not high dollar. Look at the other video of the houseboat they are working on.. its a P.O.S. but they probably get a lot of bang for the buck. Actors? not likely.. just millennial types out doing something a bit different. I watched it for the waterway stuff which was at least interesting.

As was mentioned previously there do seem to be a LOT of folks doing this stuff in boats, planes, campers, bikes, motorcycles that appear to make a living at it.. good for them.. might as well make something for having a camera stuck in your face all the time. Do I give money to any of them?? nope. But if they make a few bucks endorsing something or linking something to their site good for them
HOLLYWOOD

Some maybe make just few buck, but many don’t do only few. I follow Stewart, the guy at Dangar Marine (from Australia) every week. I love the boat work he does, but you tube for him brings good money, he actually quit his job for this (he explained this in one of the episodes). With a large number of followers You Tube pays more, then the Patreon and finally selling his T-shirt’s and mugs.
Good for them, it is a clever business and in the free market you pay if you want.