For the "Just Go" crowd...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the problem with the just go? Depends entirely on where, how and who...
When we bought our boat we had no experience. We only had a 2h "training" with the PO.
We left Kingston, ON to carry the boat to Hawkesbury, ON through Rideau waterway and Ottawa river, a 7 days cruise, 48 locks.
This was the best experience and adventure of my life!
Were we prepared? Certainly. I spent a year reading all I could about the Rideau, the lake, the river, how to handle boats etc etc.
Was I experienced? Not at all, just theory.
But everything went well, first locks were a 3 locks stairs. Lockmaster were warned we were rookies and were very helpful and reassuring. They told us we were the first boat of the season to go through the whole waterway, this added to our proud to do it.
Like some says if you want to know how to swim you need to jump in the water, that was it. In everything I am a self learner and learn by experience and watching others, that may not be the case for everybody.
Would I try it if it was ocean crossing? No I am not a mad man, but I was just feeling capable of doing it that way, and did it.

Edit: If the boat would have looked like this one, I would just have ran far far away in another galaxy lol

L

Last edited:
Good luck to him. It's not my idea of a good time though.

"...it's gutted and in my price range..."

Wow... When I saw the light coming thru the fiberglass, I just shook my head. That thought was re-enforced by all the leaks. The look on her face when the boat was leaking like a sieve, was priceless...like, "Why am I here?".

God looks after drunks and sailors.

Train wreck.
Looks to be the next sunk derelict on the AICW. All they need to add is a Go Fund Me page for their YouTube reality adventure. :nonono:

Hope they don't kill themselves in the process.

Ted

Train wreck.
Looks to be the next sunk derelict on the AICW. All they need to add is a Go Fund Me page for their YouTube reality adventure. :nonono:

Ted
A good example of why states pass min boating education regs. Haven't checked VA but wonder if they require boater ed or not?

Funny, this popped up on my You Tube as a suggested video the other day. All I can say is..............<SMH>.

It’s only 200 miles, what could possibly happen??:D

Why not? It's not as if he's circumnavigating.

Far more people die waiting to buy a boat, than die on one that is inadequate.

Train wreck.

Ted

There is an explosion of you tube boat building projects, fixer upper and cruising adventures, all asking for donations (either via patreon or other). Some I follow with enthusiasm (such as Project Brupeg, Dangar Marine, SV Seeker, Building Mistress, etc and they are very good), but a lot of just “watch me” you tube videos are silly or too full of themselves...
It seems it is easy money for some.

There is an explosion of you tube boat building projects, fixer upper and cruising adventures, all asking for donations (either via patreon or other). Some I follow with enthusiasm (such as Project Brupeg, Dangar Marine, SV Seeker, Building Mistress, etc and they are very good), but a lot of just “watch me” you tube videos are silly or too full of themselves...
It seems it is easy money for some.

I was just talking to The Admiral about this. It seems quite the in-vogue thing to do, whether it be boating or home-steading or constant vacations. The “send money to me so I can live out some fantasy” crowd. Seems a lot of them, if not all, are millennials. I guess work is “hard”. They shall not get a dime from us...

I was just talking to The Admiral about this. It seems quite the in-vogue thing to do, whether it be boating or home-steading or constant vacations. The “send money to me so I can live out some fantasy” crowd. Seems a lot of them, if not all, are millennials. I guess work is “hard”. They shall not get a dime from us...

I patronize a few cruising channels. It's not a lot, but I know how much effort and time it takes to make the videos they post. I enjoy watching and following along, and I'm happy to pay for the pleasure in some cases. It's only the handful that I've really bonded with.

I patronize a few cruising channels. It's not a lot, but I know how much effort and time it takes to make the videos they post. I enjoy watching and following along, and I'm happy to pay for the pleasure in some cases. It's only the handful that I've really bonded with.
God bless, America. You have the freedom to do so...at least until the leftists say otherwise.

After watching the video, I came away trying to decide whether it was real or not. Have they never been on a boat before, or is this just acting? After thinking about it for a while, I decided it was just acting. You show up with almost nothing like an episode of Survivor, and finish the 1st episode with some above average drone footage while only being on a boat for the second time. Had to wait an extra month for the hottest week of the summer and what first episode would be complete without thunderstorms for some early drama.

Sad part is there will probably be some real "non boaters" following in their footsteps.

Ted

After watching the video, I came away trying to decide whether it was real or not. Have they never been on a boat before, or is this just acting? After thinking about it for a while, I decided it was just acting. You show up with almost nothing like an episode of Survivor, and finish the 1st episode with some above average drone footage while only being on a boat for the second time. Had to wait an extra month for the hottest week of the summer and what first episode would be complete without thunderstorms for some early drama.

Sad part is there will probably be some real "non boaters" following in their footsteps.

Ted

It could very well be acting and / or edited to look like whatever they want it to look like. In my opinion, most of these “cheap & adventurous” are in you tube for the cash they can make. It is most likely garbage adventure anyway (yes, their drone is far from cheap though...)

I think they are the young and are fairly adventurous types.. she looks along for the ride . The drone can be had for $ 300.. so not high dollar. Look at the other video of the houseboat they are working on.. its a P.O.S. but they probably get a lot of bang for the buck. Actors? not likely.. just millennial types out doing something a bit different. I watched it for the waterway stuff which was at least interesting.

As was mentioned previously there do seem to be a LOT of folks doing this stuff in boats, planes, campers, bikes, motorcycles that appear to make a living at it.. good for them.. might as well make something for having a camera stuck in your face all the time. Do I give money to any of them?? nope. But if they make a few bucks endorsing something or linking something to their site good for them
HOLLYWOOD

I think they are the young and are fairly adventurous types.. she looks along for the ride . The drone can be had for $ 300.. so not high dollar. Look at the other video of the houseboat they are working on.. its a P.O.S. but they probably get a lot of bang for the buck. Actors? not likely.. just millennial types out doing something a bit different. I watched it for the waterway stuff which was at least interesting.

As was mentioned previously there do seem to be a LOT of folks doing this stuff in boats, planes, campers, bikes, motorcycles that appear to make a living at it.. good for them.. might as well make something for having a camera stuck in your face all the time. Do I give money to any of them?? nope. But if they make a few bucks endorsing something or linking something to their site good for them
HOLLYWOOD

Some maybe make just few buck, but many don’t do only few. I follow Stewart, the guy at Dangar Marine (from Australia) every week. I love the boat work he does, but you tube for him brings good money, he actually quit his job for this (he explained this in one of the episodes). With a large number of followers You Tube pays more, then the Patreon and finally selling his T-shirt’s and mugs.
Good for them, it is a clever business and in the free market you pay if you want.

Our favorite youtubers are Sailing Catalpa, Sailing Nutshell, and the old Sea Dog.

But these two people are a hoot, We had to watch the rest of their journey.

I used to watch YouTuber/Patreoner, Sailing Doodles...but then the extremely hot girl left. It then became a middle-aged guy on a sailboat. Who would pay to watch that?:D

I never subscribed.

I’ve also watched Boatworks Today on YouTube. Since I know very little about fiberglass repair, boat painting, mold making etc, it’s interesting and useful.

Again, no subscription.

Last edited:
They are real. I've been helping them as much as I can, they are a great couple. Their journey should be "interesting" :^)

Hi RT!

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com

Its pretty sad to think that many think influencer and youtuber are an actual career.
More proof that the movie "Idiocracy" is a documentary, not a comedy as intended.

https://mobilemarketingmagazine.com...-youtuber-uk-children-career-aspirations-awin

Hello everyone,

Well they are real, they got the boat back in the water, and now they are underway on the 1000 mile journey with the PVC tiller.

The Albermarle Sound (crossing) video is great...

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.strathbelle.com

Maybe they can hit up their own church and the Salvation Army?

Hey, if everyone gives me money, I can become very popular at the local strip clubs.
I will put out a sign, "This night is sponsored by......"
LOL
I figure I stand a better chance of getting money from this crowd than the other will get money for boating.

Just Go - and the Darwin award goes too.....

Entertaining - I guess - right up to the point they run out of luck -

Example: https://youtu.be/nF1riozcme0

Was he enticed into nearly killing himself by the lemmings around him?

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree
than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Applys to boating too!

Last edited:
The question is "Who's the idiot?"

Doesn't seem to be the people making the videos/instagrams/whatever.

They will be when they lose their looks/edge and realise they have nothing to fall back on.

Does a "Go beg me" page work for a past their use by date YouTube has been?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom