Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Question Just a Few Questions about a Boat..

I've just started looking for a new (to us) trawler. I'm starting to like the Marine Trader 40' Sundeck La Bella but the decks are all covered with teak.

Are there any other similar boats in price, style & layout that doesn't have all of this teak?

I want to cruise not refinish brightwork...


Another thing, I saw a Defever 40' with a Perkins & Lehman engines. What were they thinking? Or is it just me? The boat is priced pretty cheap but I wonder what else has been butchered?

thanks,
Dave
__________________
Advertisement

beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,722
I think you were referring to a boat w one engine of each manufacturer.

I don't consider this a "butchered" boat at all. What would you do if one of your Lehman's or Perkins engines died and you had limited funds and a cheap but excellent engine turned up for sale but was a Perkins? If you were smart you'd put it in your boat.

Re this question we had a thread on it some time ago. Go take a look and after reading about it you may then see the "bastardized" boat as a very good buy. Only if it turns out to be of course. Play on the fact that others will scoff at it too. You could make a very nice deal on a good boat.
__________________

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. While I agree with you, mismatched engines should pose no problem, the issue of "spares" might.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think you were referring to a boat w one engine of each manufacturer.

I don't consider this a "butchered" boat at all. What would you do if one of your Lehman's or Perkins engines died and you had limited funds and a cheap but excellent engine turned up for sale but was a Perkins? If you were smart you'd put it in your boat.

Re this question we had a thread on it some time ago. Go take a look and after reading about it you may then see the "bastardized" boat as a very good buy. Only if it turns out to be of course. Play on the fact that others will scoff at it too. You could make a very nice deal on a good boat.
That's some good advice. Guess I'll give it a closer look. It also fits into my cheapness mentality...
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Be interesting to see what the props do in terms of thrust when the engines are synchronized. Will it be equal or not?

For many years American Diesel offered a new drop- in replacement for the FL120. It, too, was a marinized Ford of England six cylinder diesel but it was 150 hp instead of 120, and at the time Ford made it new. I don't know what American Diesel did to it but it was a direct drop-in when they were done. Same mounts, same height, mated up the same transmission, etc.

Several members of the GB forum had/have boats with one of these engines in place of one of the original FL120s and so far as I recall they did not present any operational challenges. I don't know if they had to use a different prop on the higher power engine.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
That's the $$$ question
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
RTF, so direct and to the point!!!!! A VERY VERY valid point!!! Two sets of spares would suck!!!

TO answer the OP's question and as an avid Yachtworld junkie.... Marine Trader also makes a "Tradewinds" model that is mostly free of teak. Now you may find some teak on the sundeck but that is it. I personally am not a fan of buying an older boat with teak decks but this would not bother me as much as most of the decking has been covered all of it's life(by the hardtop of the sundeck). Also the Heritage East sundecks. Again, usually only the sundeck is teak. Hyatt makes a completely teak free sundeck MY and in my opinion one of the best quality Taiwanese boats. I base that opinion largely on the fact that their windows don't leak like many of the Marine Trader types. Also Jefferson makes some good boats without much teak. And while they are built in Taiwan, they are commissioned in Jefferson(ville?) Indiana. So there are a LARGE number of these boats that have spent their ENTIRE lives in fresh water... Californian made some handsome sundeck boats in the mid 80s with Good ole American craftsmanship(they truly are well built). The Californians had some teak on them but nor decks. Hatteras also has some good looking well built Sundecks although they are powered for planing performance and I do not know if that is attractive to you.

That should get ya started!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Oh yeah....almost forgot. The CHB/Present would also be a good choice and in your size range. The Present 42 is HUGE for a 42ft boat.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chuck Gould's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I've just started looking for a new (to us) trawler. I'm starting to like the Marine Trader 40' Sundeck La Bella but the decks are all covered with teak.

Are there any other similar boats in price, style & layout that doesn't have all of this teak?

I want to cruise not refinish brightwork...


thanks,
Dave
According to popular usage of the word, your decks aren't technically "brightwork", at least they shouldn't be. Brightwork is teak that has been varnished, (although protected with epoxy, etc, would still be brightwork as the wood has not been painted out). You shouldn't ever varnish a teak deck. If they look like they have some finish now, and especially if it looks sort of orange, that's not actually varnish; it's Cetol.

We had teak decks on our 36 Sundowner. If you scrub the decks each time you wash the boat, they should stay in acceptable shape between annual "brightenings" with a mild solution of oaxalic acid.

If the boat you are interested in has teak decks, it quite likely has some actual brightwork as well. Yeah, it is a lot of work. Our 40 Eagle has teak quarterboards and a teak cap rail, a lot less exterior teak than the Sundowner had. Not being as young and ambitious as once was, I think less teak is better.

Some will say a boat without any teak looks like a Clorox bottle. However, if the alternative is totally neglected teak decks and trim, a well kept Clorox bottle is probably more attractive.
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,722
Marin RE post #5 .... Of course. The engines are slightly different in disp but otherwise just about exactly the same. I'm sure one will never notice the difference. The biggest difference is probably the name on the valve cover ..... If they were proud enough to put one there. They didn't on my Mitsu. Could be an advantage too if the service side of the engine was on the other side. Other advantages (not so obvious) may emerge.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
According to popular usage of the word, your decks aren't technically "brightwork", at least they shouldn't be. Brightwork is teak that has been varnished, (although protected with epoxy, etc, would still be brightwork as the wood has not been painted out). You shouldn't ever varnish a teak deck. If they look like they have some finish now, and especially if it looks sort of orange, that's not actually varnish; it's Cetol.

We had teak decks on our 36 Sundowner. If you scrub the decks each time you wash the boat, they should stay in acceptable shape between annual "brightenings" with a mild solution of oaxalic acid.

If the boat you are interested in has teak decks, it quite likely has some actual brightwork as well. Yeah, it is a lot of work. Our 40 Eagle has teak quarterboards and a teak cap rail, a lot less exterior teak than the Sundowner had. Not being as young and ambitious as once was, I think less teak is better.

Some will say a boat without any teak looks like a Clorox bottle. However, if the alternative is totally neglected teak decks and trim, a well kept Clorox bottle is probably more attractive.
yea, you're correct. but there is plenty of teak everywhere else & I'm not a spring chicken anymore...
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin RE post #5 .... Of course. The engines are slightly different in disp but otherwise just about exactly the same. I'm sure one will never notice the difference. The biggest difference is probably the name on the valve cover ..... If they were proud enough to put one there. They didn't on my Mitsu. Could be an advantage too if the service side of the engine was on the other side. Other advantages (not so obvious) may emerge.
I was concerned about the 2 engines not being equal and one pulling more than the other creating a handling issue.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
RTF, so direct and to the point!!!!! A VERY VERY valid point!!! Two sets of spares would suck!!!

TO answer the OP's question and as an avid Yachtworld junkie.... Marine Trader also makes a "Tradewinds" model that is mostly free of teak. Now you may find some teak on the sundeck but that is it. I personally am not a fan of buying an older boat with teak decks but this would not bother me as much as most of the decking has been covered all of it's life(by the hardtop of the sundeck). Also the Heritage East sundecks. Again, usually only the sundeck is teak. Hyatt makes a completely teak free sundeck MY and in my opinion one of the best quality Taiwanese boats. I base that opinion largely on the fact that their windows don't leak like many of the Marine Trader types. Also Jefferson makes some good boats without much teak. And while they are built in Taiwan, they are commissioned in Jefferson(ville?) Indiana. So there are a LARGE number of these boats that have spent their ENTIRE lives in fresh water... Californian made some handsome sundeck boats in the mid 80s with Good ole American craftsmanship(they truly are well built). The Californians had some teak on them but nor decks. Hatteras also has some good looking well built Sundecks although they are powered for planing performance and I do not know if that is attractive to you.

That should get ya started!!!
giving me plenty of great homework! thanks!
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I was concerned about the 2 engines not being equal and one pulling more than the other creating a handling issue.
Eric is most likely correct in this instance. While the American Diesel drop-in replacement for the Ford Lehman 120 was 150 hp instead of 120, and it was a currently manufactured Ford engine as opposed to the ancient Ford engine that was the base for the FL120, the two engines are similar in displacement and rpm range. So while the 150 hp engine won't be working as hard, I suspect the difference will not be seen at the prop.

If you wanted both engines to be running at the same percent of load, then you'd have to re-prop the 150 hp engine to make it work harder at the same rpm as the 120 hp engine.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Eric is most likely correct in this instance. While the American Diesel drop-in replacement for the Ford Lehman 120 was 150 hp instead of 120, and it was a currently manufactured Ford engine as opposed to the ancient Ford engine that was the base for the FL120, the two engines are similar in displacement and rpm range. So while the 150 hp engine won't be working as hard, I suspect the difference will not be seen at the prop.

If you wanted both engines to be running at the same percent of load, then you'd have to re-prop the 150 hp engine to make it work harder at the same rpm as the 120 hp engine.
I just gave that one a good look on my 22" hd monitor & I'm not liking what I saw. Looks like a bunch of patchwork has been done. Just gave a Hyatt 37 sundeck a quick look & that's much closer to what I'm looking for. No outside teak & centerline aft queen berth. Wife loved the flybridge lounge. But it had 300 hp cats.
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,722
Marin says;

"If you wanted both engines to be running at the same percent of load, then you'd have to re-prop the 150 hp engine to make it work harder at the same rpm as the 120 hp engine."

Who cares if one engine is burning 5% less or more fuel? The important thing is to be synced w twins ... you can buy that can't ya Marin? ......... Oh I see where you are on that (I think) ... You're thinking the boat won't go straight and of course there will be a tiny bit more thrust on one engine but I'll bet that too is/would be fly stuff.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
I totally agree that running one engine under less load than the other one is no big deal. But some people on this forum--- including you I seem to recall--- get all wrapped around the axle at the thought of an engine running at 1 percent less than what Steve D'Antonio says they're supposed to be running at.

So the different prop comment was aimed at the anal loading crowd (have at it RTF). I personally wouldn't worry about it. The engine certainly won't, at least not in this case.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,189
It seems to me that there are enough good boats out there with matching engines and no teak decks, that I wouldn't give the boat a second thought. Baker has put together a nice list of potential candidates.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
It seems to me that there are enough good boats out there with matching engines and no teak decks, that I wouldn't give the boat a second thought. Baker has put together a nice list of potential candidates.
a Hyatt 37 sundeck really caught my eye but I can only find 1 for sale. it does have the 3208's though...
__________________

__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012