Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I was concerned about the 2 engines not being equal and one pulling more than the other creating a handling issue.
Just out of technical and theoretical interest, although I would be wary of a boat with odd engines, I must say, wouldn't the best way to counter the above concern be to put and mark exact mid ships on the wheel, then adjust the engines until the boat ran straight, for any given speed. Over time one would know what different conditions called for.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Peter--- That would work if you could put up with the God-awful thrumming and audible pulsing of a pair of engines running out of sync with each other.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: somewhere
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Just out of technical and theoretical interest, although I would be wary of a boat with odd engines, I must say, wouldn't the best way to counter the above concern be to put and mark exact mid ships on the wheel, then adjust the engines until the boat ran straight, for any given speed. Over time one would know what different conditions called for.
I'm sure that could be done but my mission is to relax and have fun and that sounds like far too much work...

BTW, after giving the images of the boat a good scouring, I realized that the whole boat was pretty much a hack job.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We don't need no stinkin' teak decks.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Guru

Any opinions on Kha Shing boats?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Any opinions on Kha Shing boats?
Standard Taiwanese boat. If I am not mistaken, they are loaded with teak???? Anyway, just one of those deals where it would be a boat by boat basis. There is nothing inherently wrong with them. The Heritage east, Hyatt, Jefferson I think would be the better choice simply out of consistent quality of build. They generally just show better on a consistent basis. Whereas the likes of Marine Trader and Kha Shing are little bit more like a box of chocolates. Please realize I am not ragging on the MTs and Kha Shings, I just think you will have to do a little more legwork to find the right one.

With that said, there is an MT owners assoc...MTOA. If you do think about going that route, the MTOA might be a good resource.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I think the Marine Trader Owners Association is now Marine TRAWLER Owners Association. Open to any and all. MTOA - Marine Trawler Owners Association
Hopefully posting this link is not against the rules....
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Peter--- That would work if you could put up with the God-awful thrumming and audible pulsing of a pair of engines running out of sync with each other.
Aha, we'll there yah go...another plus for single engines, no such dramas. No, I'm not starting another single versus twin thing...just say in'

Hey Marin, off topic briefly, but I noticed in that tranquility post of the canal narrow boat, you had no seat. That would throw a dampener on sitting out there, cruising along, flat out at 4 mph, supping a coffee, relaxing on a seat with the tiller under your arm. The one we had had a semicircular seat out back. Did you have stand to steer that one?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #29

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Beachbum, I would not be concerned with the higher HP trawlers, I have a 48 Californian sundeck with Detroit 6-71Ti's with 450 hp each. At 1100 rpms I am only burning 3.3 gallons per hour per motor. Some here may say thats alot but thats running 10kts. They burn 1.5 and are only doing 6kts. Not to mention when you need to beat a storm 16kts will get you out of it alot sooner, and at that speed I'm only burning 15-18 gph. As far as the mismatched engines as long as you can sync them to each other I wouldn't think it would matter.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #30

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
As far as the mismatched engines as long as you can sync them to each other I wouldn't think it would matter.
I've never operated a vessel with mismatched twins, but I'll advance a theory by which that would seem to make sense. Propulsion results from a prop of a given diameter and pitch turning a certain number of RPM. If the gearboxes are the same, and the load is obviously the same on each side, then the engine RPM would need to be the same. Developing that RPM will require X amount of torque and horsepower. The engine rated for slightly higher HP will simply be running at a bit less of its rated capacity in order to turn the prop X times per minute under the same load, but they should be running the same number of RPM.

Or, not. Somebody who has operated a boat with mismatched twins is encouraged to correct my theory if it doesn't apply.
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #31

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
I've never operated a vessel with mismatched twins, but I'll advance a theory by which that would seem to make sense. Propulsion results from a prop of a given diameter and pitch turning a certain number of RPM. If the gearboxes are the same, and the load is obviously the same on each side, then the engine RPM would need to be the same. Developing that RPM will require X amount of torque and horsepower. The engine rated for slightly higher HP will simply be running at a bit less of its rated capacity in order to turn the prop X times per minute under the same load, but they should be running the same number of RPM.

Or, not. Somebody who has operated a boat with mismatched twins is encouraged to correct my theory if it doesn't apply.
Pretty much what I was saying, there are factors involved, but a little math and some trial and error, a repitch of the props it can be done. Or if you want the ass pain, pull the one or both sell and put in a matched set. Talk to the PO he should be able to give insight.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #32
Guru

what about an engine(s) synchronizer?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
FF
Guru

what about an engine(s) synchronizer?

Probably would work lots better to match the shaft speeds , tho it might not always be smooth.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Too many good deals around right now to spend money on an orphan that you will have a hard time selling.

If he could not afford to do that part right, what else could he not afford.
I might take it if it was free and I had nothing else to do.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Too many good deals around right now to spend money on an orphan that you will have a hard time selling.

If he could not afford to do that part right, what else could he not afford.
I might take it if it was free and I had nothing else to do.
Agreed
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hey Marin, off topic briefly, but I noticed in that tranquility post of the canal narrow boat, you had no seat. That would throw a dampener on sitting out there, cruising along, flat out at 4 mph, supping a coffee, relaxing on a seat with the tiller under your arm. The one we had had a semicircular seat out back. Did you have stand to steer that one?
The boat we use in known as a "traditional" boat. In other words it has the exact same layout as the working motor boats of the late 1800s through the 1950s. The only difference is where the working boats had an open hold forward of the engine room, the "traditional" recreational boats have a cabin which contains one or more staterooms, the galley, one or two heads, a shower, and the main "saloon."

So from the stern, Willow has a totally authentic boatman's cabin, the engine room with a big 3-cylinder, air-cooled Lister diesel, and then the "recreational" cabin in place of the hold. Traditional boats have a very small aft deck, only large enough for the steersman to stand. Mo railings, seats, or anything else. In fact the steersman stands on the top step into the boatman's cabin. Great setup in our opinion, much better than the more modern recreational boats with big aft decks. When we have guests my wife and I "live" in the boatman's cabin and our guests get the stateroom.

When you're steering and it's cold outside you fire up the coal stove in the boatman's cabin, close the aft doors behind you and slide the hatch up to your stomach. The heat from the stove comes up around you and keeps you nice and warm even on frosty mornings or in a downpour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-206976213.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	16083

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote