Just curious... what instrument you play???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love banjo music. I still reckon "duelling' banjos" from that movie, (whose name escapes me right now, but someone will know), is the coolest thing. It was a rather violent movie, but the sound track was great. :thumb:

Here you go, Pete.

Guitar

Greetinggs,
Piano, guitar, uke, mandolin, Jews harp, harmonica, kazoo...All VERY sparsely and VERY poorly.

Yeah, I still honk on the old tuba in the stateroom, but no one appreciates it, especially the cats and my neighbor.:blush:

Attachments

• tuba in stateroom shadow.jpg
    tuba in stateroom shadow.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 44
Harmonica. One song. "Oh Susanna".

Yeah, I still honk on the old tuba in the stateroom, but no one appreciates it, especially the cats and my neighbor.:blush:

Wow a Sousaphone on a boat!!! I thought my 7/8 scale guitar in the case was cumbersome.

I am another radio (iPod) player, but played violin some years ago. I am usually way too far out to get radio reception so I am big on iTunes and podcasts. Funny that this thread would come up, I have been looking at taking up the mandolin to eat up some of those long autopilot hours in transit.

I actually went in and handled one, my poor old (61 years) fingers felt stiff and cramped on the frets but the desire is there. Probably shoeing horses isn't good for manual dexterity...

I play Drums in a local band. Hard to keep drums onboard, but I keep a Cajon onboard for jams and doubles as a seat :) Here is pic of me this summer on Merrimack River front...outdoor festival.IMG_5881.jpg

The first ten years of my adult life I was a professional full time musician playing electric bass mostly and some electric organ. I also sang lead and backup. After coming to my senses, I started a career in electronics and played bass and sang on weekends for the next 40 or so years.

The short answer is bass, guitar and organ along with vocals. I did play some tenor and baritone sax in my early years.

I haven't played in a couple years and don't carry instruments on my boat.

I haven't played in a couple years and don't carry instruments on my boat.

Wifey B: We carry my keyboard and some background equipment too in case we want to go into concert mode. That's the great thing about keyboards today is that you get so much function in a small and light one. Not like trying to pick up a piano and take it with you. :lol:

Music was the first thing (well, ok...to be honest, the second) that we found we had a mutual love for. We sang to each other the night we met. Hubby was trained with voice lessons starting at 7 years old and five years of piano lessons as a kid. I just started singing and then the school choir and stuff and apparently was decent even though couldn't read music, but that was pretty easy to learn for me. Then I was bored in my spare time. Young girl, my roomies just would go clubbing and that didn't do it for me so I decided a hobby. I'd played the piano in a friend's house as a kid by sound. I was thinking of taking up guitar, but bought a Yamaha keyboard and took a few lessons at the store and then drove my roomies crazy playing it every minute I was home. I've picked up other things and played with them but never really learned. We just don't want to be without our ability to sing to each other, and anyone else who wants to listen.

As a teacher I also used music when I could. Music is such a good form of entertainment but also communication. We said things to each other in song that first night that we just were too scared to say in plain words. I love when I hear someone singing with their guitar on another boat.

We also listen sometimes to music we can't stand. Some really wicked rap and stuff. It helps us understand the feelings and mood of many others. Some of it is hateful and disgusting, but that's real. Not the song that's the problem, it's that people have such anger. I wish the world was all love songs. Of course, country has a lot of "somebody done somebody wrong songs."

Maybe I should learn another instrument. Don't know what though. :)

Greetinggs,
Piano, guitar, uke, mandolin, Jews harp, harmonica, kazoo...All VERY sparsely and VERY poorly.

I half expected spoons to be on that list too.

Trying to relearn finger picking acoustic guitar (think folk scene 1960's) after 50 years away from it. Seriously suspect that I'll croak way before I become even a bit competent.

CDs. Jazz, Funk. Stuff like That. (That`s actually a Quincy Jones song title.)
I heard, "a gentleman is someone who can play the piano accordion, but doesn`t".
What about bagpipes,Andy?

Studied piano from age 6 through college, organ, guitar, bass, some banjo, clarinet. Wife wants one of my guitars on the boat but that won't ever happen as they are my babies and worth a good bit... Humidity and salt air would be a killer. Have thought about adding a carbon fiber guitar to the collection but haven't gotten there yet. Right now I concern myself more with being able to dock the boat stern in without taking out the 55' sportfish or the Gulfstar center cockpit sailboat right next to me...

Studied piano from age 6 through college, organ, guitar, bass, some banjo, clarinet. Wife wants one of my guitars on the boat but that won't ever happen as they are my babies and worth a good bit... Humidity and salt air would be a killer. Have thought about adding a carbon fiber guitar to the collection but haven't gotten there yet. Right now I concern myself more with being able to dock the boat stern in without taking out the 55' sportfish or the Gulfstar center cockpit sailboat right next to me...

Wifey B: Don't go guitarless. That's obscene. Get one that isn't your baby, that you're ok if it only lasts a few years and enjoy it. I don't take my best keyboard from our home on the boat, but I'm not about to go without. Your wife is right even if not about which guitar. You have a talent, something you enjoy and obviously she does too. Guitar for boat. Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:

Last edited:
Sue and I met singing in The Philadelphia Revels (now defunct, was a franchise of The Cambridge Revels.) We were cast as Lord and Lady of the Manor: agreed, married and bought the manor (actually just a big, old 19th c summer house on one of the high hills in NW Philly). She had a voice music major in college. She came by that naturally; her mother could play anything by ear or from music on a piano, including accompanying silent films, and directed a woman's barbershop chorus for many years.

I've been singing since high school in madrigal groups, choruses, Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. I still sing with 'a drinking club with a singing problem': The Orpheus Club of Philadelphia - Male Chorus, Men's A Capella Singing. I learned a great long time ago that there is NO connection between those shapes on paper, my eyes, my brain, and my fingers. So my silent instruments are the 15th c. Italian harpsichord that I built, two melodians (19th c. folding pump organs), a 19th c. pump organ, and the noisy one is 1920 Knabe 6'-4 grand piano w/an Ampico reproducing action.

Nothing better than great music!

Sue and I met singing in The Philadelphia Revels (now defunct, was a franchise of The Cambridge Revels.) We were cast as Lord and Lady of the Manor: agreed, married and bought the manor (actually just a big, old 19th c summer house on one of the high hills in NW Philly).

I've been singing since high school in madrigal groups, choruses, Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. I still sing with 'a drinking club with a singing problem': The Orpheus Club of Philadelphia - Male Chorus, Men's A Capella Singing.

Omg, my voice teacher and the choir director in our church, plus his wife who was the organist, were from Philadelphia. He was a Fred Waring disciple. He actually was stationed in NC during WW II and later returned having fallen in love with the state. Not that he didn't always love Philadelphia and still visited several times a year.

As a teenager I got to participate in a workship and sing one time with Robert Shaw, his protege, directing. That was an incredible experience.

Waring was before my time but I was sure immersed in the legacy of Philadelphia Chorales and Glee Clubs. I even sang in a group, my voice teacher formed and directed that was based on Waring's groups. I was often reminded that Philadelphia was the birthplace of singing in America. Now, admittedly the one telling me was a bit prejudiced.

My wife strums the guitar and my daughter plays the piano. They both sing like angels! Then there's me.... I'm the guy that gets to hang around with the musicians. I play now and then with some "old" friends. Our set list reads like a musical train wreck as we cover everything from Patsy Cline to Guns N Roses.
It's a lot of fun but I find that I play the boat a lot more than the drums anymore.

Attachments

• imageedit_2_5558839440.jpg
    imageedit_2_5558839440.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 40
I've been banging on this uke for the last few months trying to learn . My Uncle builds them . He gave me this one a couple years ago . This is one of his first builds .The ones he's building now are really nice .

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Have thought about adding a carbon fiber guitar to the collection but haven't gotten there yet.

Wifey B: Don't go guitarless. That's obscene. Get one that isn't your baby, that you're ok if it only lasts a few years and enjoy it.

Thought about the carbon fiber models, too... but was surprised at how proud they are of those things...

Another option I've looked at is the Martin Backpacker (something like that), but they don't appeal all that much just yet. Haven't played on one, though...

A third option might be a low-end (aka disposable) Ovation. There's still some wood involved, but the body is plastic and the neck adjustments are fairly stout. Some models are kinda large, though.

I'm having mixed feelings about playing guitar these days. Arthritis in my hands. On the one hand (pun), the exercise seems to help. On the other hand, the exercise sometimes hurts... and I can't actually form some of the easy chords well anymore.

-Chris

Last edited:
I play now and then with some "old" friends. Our set list reads like a musical train wreck as we cover everything from Patsy Cline to Guns N Roses.
It's a lot of fun but I find that I play the boat a lot more than the drums anymore.

We just mostly jam these days... with a play list all over the map. No lock on specific genre, everything from rock to folk to cowboy to whatever... I'd try barbershop again if we had a few more folks who could carry a tune and with some decent range...

Nice pic. My main kit is rack-mounted with 5 toms... so I can break down and re-set easily, no change in adjustments. Pain in the neck to actually move, though, so I've been experimenting with an electronic multi-pad thing.

Yamaha DTX-12 (12 pads) plus real hat/cymbals, relatively compact and easy to move. "Easy" assumes a sound system in place, though; otherwise I'd have to take our PA or at least an amp...

-Chris

None. Tone deaf and can't hold a tune. But I do enjoy listening, and to those of you who CAN play... Thank you!

But your question reminds me of a story:

On our way home after a long day, we didn't feel like making dinner. We also didn't want a drawn-out sit-down meal, or fast food. We found a small local restaurant where we knew we could get a quick burger or some similar comfort food.

The place was surprisingly crowded. There was one table, a high-top deuce (two-seater) near a small area that was apparently used for a stage. It was mid-week and early, so we didn't expect entertainment.

Here's where this story ties in with the subject of this thread:

We didn't really notice that people were bringing in instruments until the second time someone asked "what instrument do you play?"

Turns out it was a an informal open-mike night for local musicians. They all came here on a Tuesday night and just sort of randomly took turns jamming.

Now remember, we just wanted a quick burger and then to head home after a long day. But it would be rude just get up and walk out on a performance. Especially from the table right in front of the stage, with all the other musicians sitting behind us.

We were an audience of two, surrounded by performers.

We soon forgot all about wanting to get home. We were having a great time! It was a memorable night.

Very similar to what people always tell me when I say I can't dance. "Oh, everyone can dance! Just listen to the beat and sway along!" I listen as hard as I can, but eventually I'm like "what beat?"

I do love music and appreciate all of you musicians though. I'd love to be able to play acoustic guitar. I'd also like to be able to tomahawk dunk a basketball, sadly, some things just aren't in the cards.

I'm afraid of bring a new yamaha at my boat..
Still searching for "the" perfect tenor sax.. yamaha is high on the list but I'm afraid because I have so many yamahas on board (water sky, outboard, a bike..)
They're famous for been prolific (from tenor jump to a flute, then a trumpet...)
..I cannot afford an uncontrolled yamaha reproduction onboard... ;)

I'll second the suggestion to either buy a moderate priced guitar or go all the way to carbon fiber. I have a Taylor GS mini (7/8 scale) with a laminate back and mahogany sides and soundboard. It does fairly well as long as I keep it in the case when not being played. That runs around $500. You'll probably want to bring a truss rod tool to make sure the action stays good for long periods of time.

You can get into a carbon fiber for around $1,500.

The baja banjo at my wintertime place got wet during the flood from hurricane Odile a few years ago. The case was a moldy trashed-out mess, but the banjo survived just fine! I thought for sure the neck would be a twisted mess, but it remains arrow-straight.

New set of strings and it tuned right up! I wipe the strings with WD-40 once in a while; rusty strings suck! So I shop for nickle-plated strings.

I need to learn a few new licks, tired of hearing myself play the same stuff over and over. Summer boat-at-anchor project, until I drive the neighboring cruisers batty.

For guitar strings, the polyweb/nanoweb coating on Elixir strings goes a long way for protecting strings from salt air. I prefer Polyweb. It's a thicker coating and I also find there is less 'string talk'.

Back
Top Bottom