Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #41

RE: Just boght a 1984 Marine Trader Labelle 43'

Where in Boston?

Liquid Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #42

I am a member of Boston Harbor Yacht Club, in South Boston. The boat is in Rockland, Maine, though.
Are you in Boston?

7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Just boght a 1984 Marine Trader Labelle 43'

I sailed with my buddy on his Cape Dory 25 out of Quincy.* We had a great time sailing with the tall ships in Boston Harbor when they came to visit for the bicentennial.* Sailed a lot down by Cohasset also.* I raced on a friends Etchells 22 out of Casco Bay in Maine.* Good stuff.**** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 20th of January 2011 07:26:52 PM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #44
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

What is Marin's fuel polishing method?

Please pardon me, I mis-spoke.* Marin's method isn't really polishing as I'm guessing he has explained by now.* His method is to not let the fuel get dirty in the first place.

His method is like getting a flu vaccination instead of getting the flu and then taking plenty of fluids and rest.* It seems to me to be dang fool proof.* So wash your hands often and you won't need to deal with all the symptoms!

Woody

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #45
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

7tiger7 wrote:

What is Marin's fuel polishing method?
Please pardon me, I mis-spoke.* Marin's method isn't really polishing as I'm guessing he has explained by now.* His method is to not let the fuel get dirty in the first place.

His method is like getting a flu vaccination instead of getting the flu and then taking plenty of fluids and rest.* It seems to me to be dang fool proof.* So wash your hands often and you won't need to deal with all the symptoms!

WoodyWoodyYou are correct, but I will add one more element, and that is to be sure you are purchasing fuel from a source that turns over their inventory on a regular basis. Fill your tanks only at the busiest marinas. This has worked for me for fifteen years of diesel boating.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Just boght a 1984 Marine Trader Labelle 43'

What we do would not have been possible with the boat's original fuel tanks. They were much bigger and there were fewer of them. Plus I'm not sure if they drew off the bottom or via pickup tubes. So what we're able to do is credit to the previous owner. Having a lot of smaller tanks gives you more options than a few large tanks.

PS-- Just read Carey's post and he's correct.* We're lucky in that there is only one fuel dock in our marina so just about everyone, including the USCG, buys their fuel there.* They go through it pretty fast.* So the fuel we buy is not very old at all.* Plus they replaced their storage*tanks within the past ten or eleven years.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 20th of January 2011 09:09:48 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #47
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:

You are correct, but I will add one more element, and that is to be sure you are purchasing fuel from a source that turns over their inventory on a regular basis. Fill your tanks only at the busiest marinas. This has worked for me for fifteen years of diesel boating.

Hoorahh-- yes I do try to put my fuel through a filter funnel when it is in a low volume marina.*

So, if we all agree that if we can keep*all H20 and crud out of our fuel
And load them correctly
and change oil as prescribed

they would last forever....* right?*

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

We do the same Marin. We never get fuel on the island. We wait until we go to Ketchikan and get it at the higher priced Texaco fuel dock (float). The only downside is that since they service mostly larger vessels we are stuck w a hose and nozzle that is very difficult to discharge fuel at a lower rate. We have a new engine and new tanks (2) so I feel no need to "polish" or otherwise treat our fuel. Biobor and other additives are used and I put a copper sump tube (1/8") down into the lowest corner of the tank and pump out a quart or so of fuel to remove*ANY water from within the tanks. I do this every 3 months or so and most of the time I only find a few drops of water. I've never gotten any bad fuel so right now our fuel system is pristine and I intend to keep it that way.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote