Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't worry Lurker...I have it on good authority that OFB is off reading for the 33rd time The Unabomber's Secret Treatise......

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I didn't mean you should post an add in the local newspaper.

Fires happen all the time.

If it is a HOA. Isn't there money for a new roof on the community building or for general cleanup.

Hire someone to cut it up and haul it away.
Who is gonna sue you. The kids? From the past posts it is a wonder they can read let alone file a law suit.

SD
I didn't mean you should post an add in the local newspaper. - True

Hire someone to cut it up and haul it away. - We're working that through the lawyers (big sigh) right now.

Who is gonna sue you. - The crack ho mom and deadbeat dad. This is exactly the sort of thing they thrive on.

We're dealing with a nuisance lawsuit right now. Pure shakedown. But, a lawyer took it, filed the papers and now we have to defend it at community/insurance company expense. They even asked for mediation and asked for a cash settlement. I'm doing everything I can to force a trial. We'll beat their brains out in court and they know it. That's why they're eager to settle and walk away with some free money. But I won't be intimidated - at least not while I'm spending insurance company money and not my own.

But, on a more happy note - our boat ramp is under construction as we speak! 3 years of county and state permitting hassles to get here, but we persevered. I don't give up easily.

Marin - your comments about the airport are spot on. See that enormous powerplant across the creek in the photo? It's been there much longer than the community. We get complaints from residents about the noise all the time. Noise? From a gigantic, coal fired power plant? Who woulda' thunk it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	11432  
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
85% under water and leaking fuel into the creek.

Here's the rest of the story - I'm the president of the homeowners association. People have been complaining about the 2 -3 boats tied up to shore in the "lagoon" as we call it. I asked "What's the problem?" Nobody could articulate. So the Board decided they could stay. Hey, we're a waterfront community and I love boats. So then the kids decide that they need to set up a camp on the shore by the boats. So we have piles of disassembled motors, busted up coolers, leaking fuel cans, tarps, miscellaneous trash scattered around, a broken down trailer dumped in the water at the shore and homeless drifter types spending the night. Did I mention this is private property?
I'm with you on the HOA and restrictive covenants. It's pretty much the only way your life's largest investment (your home) won't end up with a junk yard or rooming house next door.

If these people are making a mess on private property, you can exclude them from the property. If it's HOA property and they have a "right" to use it because they live in the community, you can impose rules of conduct and exclude them if they break the rules just like you might if there's a pool and they break the rules at the pool.

"Junk" boats are another issue because the HOA cannot lay claim to the water in most cases. You'll have to either deal with the owners or the government.

You may be able to find a clause in your covenents that prohibits anyone from being a "nuisance" and attack the problem that way.

I'm sure your Association has an attorney so consult with him or her on the matter. You'll get better legal advice there than from a boating forum.

BTW: Whatever you do, don't cut the boats loose or anything similar. You will be putting the Association in a position to be sued. John Doe might get away with it, but the Association won't.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
John Doe might get away with it,
Send me a plane ticket and pay my expenses. I'll change my name to John.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ya and this thread ia all about trawlers aint it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm not sure about what the debate is here. Lurker states the reasonable opinions and standards of a community just as do of the PNW membership equally. The vastly different tidal coastline in relation to the total square area of the individual State (not to mention the population density) would surely be the drivers behind the American "live and let live" limitations. Park those boats in Boston, Cape Cod, the Hamptons, Newport or even Sarasota or St. Augustine, FL and see how long it takes to move them out. I don't think they'd last long in Baltimore Inner Harbor either. More boats, more people, more complaints, more laws. Combine that with less space and less tolerance and you've got less freedom. (Wasn't it Davey Crocket that said that while keel-boating on the Mississippi)?
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Lurker--- I assume that's a coal fired plant across the way from the conveyors going all over the place.

It sounds like your HOA has a good case but one that will take its sweet time moving through the system. This might be one of those rare times when a big-ass hurricane could be a blessing. Move all that crap out of there for you. Or deposit it in people's yard where it then becomes "debris" and can be hauled off to the dump.

Anyway, while I've never had to deal with what you're dealing with I certainly have sympathy for your position and can totally understand the frustration of being held hostage by ********. I've always been a big fan of Chuck Darwin and I think his survival of the fittest thing is right on. The downside is that the unfit continue to live among us while they tread water waiting to evolve into nothingness so we have to put up with them. The silver lining is that the unfit do eventually go away.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Is that the Crane plant?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #30
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Lurker--- I assume that's a coal fired plant across the way from the conveyors going all over the place.

I've always been a big fan of Chuck Darwin and I think his survival of the fittest thing is right on. The downside is that the unfit continue to live among us while they tread water waiting to evolve into nothingness so we have to put up with them. The silver lining is that the unfit do eventually go away.
Yup, coal fired. Barges bring coal in nearly every day. Maybe every day, but I don't see them because the plant is on the opposite side of the peninsula from my house. I walk the hound on the boardwalk every morning and do occasionally get to see the tugs moving the barges around. Another cool feature is that across the Patapsco is the Sparrows Point steel plant. If I'm lucky when I'm out with the dog in the pre-dawn I see the horizion light up when they do a pour of the molten steel. Very impressive. It's a fireworks display from a few miles away - I can only imagine how awesome that is up close.

The problem with the lowlifes and Darwin is that the lowlifes have a tendency to reproduce at an alarming rate.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #31
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Is that the Crane plant?

Herbert H. Wagner Generating Station. Part of Constellation Energy. Just to the right, out of the photo, is the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #32
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Is there a local councilman you can call or local ordinance committee meeting you can attend? Are we getting to a point where the effort might be too great just to get a couple of boats dealt with? I mean, the kids will grow out of the interest soon enough when the next Twilight movie comes out or the next iPad released.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
Curmudgeon

We've tried to work a few other issues through our County Council and County Executive, Planning & Zoning, Health Dept., State AG, County Police, etc. We get great lip service and absolutely no action whatsoever. Our tax dollars at work, once again.

Hence, my complete and utter disgust with nearly every level of our elected Gov't.

I had to mount a coup and took over the Board in this community in order to get stuff straightened out and moving in the right direction. I don't know that I have the energy or inclination to make a run for political office. But, I don't know how else to get stuff done. Like my daddy always told me, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." It's actually worse than that - if you want something done at all you have to do it yourself.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
As a native Baltimoron, I'm intimately familiar with the surroundings you've described. Wagner's Point Station is not exactly a tourist attraction, nor is Sparrows Point. I sure hope your boat doesn't suffer from the chemical flora of Curtis Bay, coal dust from Wagner's or the famous ore silt of the Point. Heck, I thought the Point was a ghost town. Did somebody buy the place? Anyway, I sure empathize with your plight to keep that neighborhood from regress.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #35
Curmudgeon

Oh yeah, it's a nasty area, no question. North Anne Arundel has always been the poor, red-headed stepchild of the County. I would not be living here if I was trying to raise a family, but I'm past that stage of my life.

We have a chance to turn this community and peninsula into a little gem on the Chesapeake in this desolate area. We're slowly getting there, but it is an uphill battle

The Point has more lives that a cat. Russians, Chinese, Indians ... I don't know who owns the place now.

I'm pretty sure I've walked past your boat when you were tied up in the Inner Harbor. I should stop and introduce myself next time.

Will you be checking out the Blue Angels/War of 1812 show? I understand they will be flying over the Middle Branch of the Patapsco. West of Ft. McHenry, where the cruise ships dock? Do you have any suggestions for good places to anchor and watch the show?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #36

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
BL,

How about adding a regulation in your homeowners assoc rules that all boats must be seaworthy, or be subject to impound and disposal, charges billed to the owner? The same could apply to shoreline usage and cleanup. If no compliance, bill the offenders for the cleanup charges.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
BL,

How about adding a regulation in your homeowners assoc rules that all boats must be seaworthy, or be subject to impound and disposal, charges billed to the owner? The same could apply to shoreline usage and cleanup. If no compliance, bill the offenders for the cleanup charges.
Who determines seaworthy? I'll bet a close look and quoting some voluntary standards that some on here think are gospel... I'll bet I could flunk a lot of forum member boats...
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Who determines seaworthy? I'll bet a close look and quoting some voluntary standards that some on here think are gospel... I'll bet I could flunk a lot of forum member boats...

You talkin' to me?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
BL,

How about adding a regulation in your homeowners assoc rules that all boats must be seaworthy,
Back in the 70s or thereabouts in Hawaii the Ala Wai Yacht Basin, the official name for what then was the only public marina on the Honolulu side of Oahu and the biggest one on the island, was having a real problem with liveaboard boats that were total junkers. Floating slums, as it were. To deal with the growing problem the city passed an ordinance that stated that all liveaboard boats in the marina had to be "seaworthy" and capable of moving under their own power.

The ordinance did not define "seaworthy." Instead, it mandated a test that would define it. The test was enforced by the Honolulu Police Department, was monitored by the USCG, and was very simple. Once a year, every liveaboard boat in the marina had to leave the marina under its own power and cruise back and forth in the ocean off Waikiki for an hour, and then return to the marina. Any boat that failed this test had x-amount of time to make any repairs necessary. Like 30 days or something. If it failed the test again, the boat was impounded and destroyed.

At the time they implemented this ordinance I'm guessing there were 30 or 40 liveaboard boats in the marina. The first time they ran the test, over half the boats failed--- most of them could not even leave their slips--- and ultimately were destroyed. Over the next few years the liveaboard junkers disappeared entirely.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
You talkin' to me?
As Dirty Harry said..."Ya feeling lucky punk?"....

Naw...just pokin' fun... but a test like Marin discussed is close but not exactly fair either.... if my engine toasted itself....it might take longer than 30 days...even 90 days to get it out, clean/paint bilge and a new one in....all while busy with work and other "personal crisis"...just say'in..