Juneau Mechanic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpoppop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Long Time Dead
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 55
Hello everyone- thanks for the help- our water maker high pressure pump died on the way to Juneau from SoCal- anyone know a good mechanic in Juneau who might be able to help get the hp pump rebuilt? Thanks

Not able to assist from here, would suggest calling Juneau N.C.Cat, while it is not their venue, as with all of our small coastal towns, everybody knows everybody so they I would think, be helpful in pointing you in the right direction. I suggest N.C. as a name that comes to mind, too, contacting your engine make in Juneau (Deere? Cummings? Yanmar?) would provide the same helpful service, then on the other hand, you may have found the service you need already as most Alaskans are eager to assist.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Hello everyone- thanks for the help- our water maker high pressure pump died on the way to Juneau from SoCal- anyone know a good mechanic in Juneau who might be able to help get the hp pump rebuilt? Thanks

I was going to recommend the same. But if Juneau is much like Sitka right now it might be hard to find someone right away. The commercial king salmon season opens on July 1 and often times the mechanics are busy on the fishing boats.

What you need is a new High Pressure pump.

I would get one on the way from your watermaker company. It should then be easy to get it replaced.

The work you are asking for is not something an engine mechanic will probably be interested in taking on. It is more something that a general boatyard tech might do.

Again, I'd get a spare one on the way. Once you have that, if the replacement is not something you are comfortable with then it will be a heck of allot easier talking someone into doing the work if you have the replacement part in hand.

What I will guarantee is that here in Alaska you are very unlikely to find someone with repair parts in stock for something like a watermaker HP pump. Thats why I say to just order a new one

Last edited:
Big pop

There are many Ns cruising in AK this summer. More than normal because of a rally. Tanglewood on his N60 frequents this site. He would definitely know where and who could assist.

Also, call PAE Dana Point for specific advice on your RO model for suggestions on which vessel name you could chase down that has an on board water system expert. It is easy to fly in necessary parts once identified.

WMs can be a pain. Fortunately your vessel has water capacity to do quite well in SE Alaska without an RO. Good fresh water in SE AK is easy to find. Off hand I can think of a dozen locations no more than a two day cruise from any location. Of course, be water wise.

Quote:
WMs can be a pain. Fortunately your vessel has water capacity to do quite well in SE Alaska without an RO. Good fresh water in SE AK is easy to find. Off hand I can think of a dozen locations no more than a two day cruise from any location. Of course, be water wise.[/QUOTE]

This was my second thought after posting.:thumb: In additional reflection the option of having a replacement sent in by post is the best, on priority mail two or three day service can be expected into Juneau suggestion is the better move. SE Alaska repairs tilt toward commercial systems of necessity over systems that cater to comforts. Water sources as stated, are available and tasty to boot. Fine water from heaven in many cases.:flowers:

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket CRUISER

I would just get a new pump flow in. Order it from someone in Seattle, and have it sent via Alaska Air's Gold Streak Service. It's not cheap, but no more than regular overnight shipping. Most marine places in Seattle know the drill and how to get the part delivered to Alaska Air at SeaTac. It then goes on the next flight to Juneau and you go pick it up at the airport. I've actually ordered stuff in the morning and had it late afternoon.

Then as previously mentioned, you can swap the pump yourself or find someone local to do it. Any local guy is going to need to get the part anyway.

If you haven't seen it, there was a recent negative review on the Nordhavn owners group re a repair guy in Juneau. Contact me off line if you need to know more.

By the way, Hi again. We chatted on the VHF a couple of days ago.

Back
Top Bottom