John Wayne Harbor, Sequim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Well, We fell in love with Sequim Washington yesterday.

Pulled into John Wayne Harbor (via car), had a GREAT meal at the little place there.
This is a NICE small harbor!

Went upstairs and asked the harbormaster how long of a wait list there was for a 53' boat and he hold us we could have our choice of slips!

Then went to the town of Sequim and saw the "Olympic Rain Shadow" in effect. It was rainy everywhere except Sequim and Port Angeles. High overcast, 50 something degrees, nice!

The area is just right sized, the homes are reasonably priced...We love it!

Time to let all we've seen digest and take it from there.

I love the Sequim area. Interesting place under the Olympic umbrella. Also liked the John Wayne Marina other than once your out of the marina you are exposed to the Strait unlike the sound.

Sequim is a good location. Another plus is that you are not far from Port Townsend, which has great boatyards where you can also work on your boat yourself if you want to.

And you'll look like a tourist if you don't call it "Skwim."

OK my Canadian friend .... how would you pronounce it?

See Quim?

Probably showed my ignorance and stuck my foot in it both.

Well, We fell in love with Sequim Washington yesterday.

Pulled into John Wayne Harbor (via car), had a GREAT meal at the little place there.
This is a NICE small harbor!

Went upstairs and asked the harbormaster how long of a wait list there was for a 53' boat and he hold us we could have our choice of slips!

Then went to the town of Sequim and saw the "Olympic Rain Shadow" in effect. It was rainy everywhere except Sequim and Port Angeles. High overcast, 50 something degrees, nice!

The area is just right sized, the homes are reasonably priced...We love it!

Time to let all we've seen digest and take it from there.

If you mainly plan to cruise north Sequim is a good spot..not much happens locally though..just be forewarned..the most dangerous place on the area is the Safeway parking lot at noon..a good percentage of the gray hair's back up by feel!. It is also a VERY dangerous place to ride a bike or motorcycle
:eek:
Hollywood

If you mainly plan to cruise north Sequim is a good spot..not much happens locally though..just be forewarned..the most dangerous place on the area is the Safeway parking lot at noon..a good percentage of the gray hair's back up by feel!. It is also a VERY dangerous place to ride a bike or motorcycle
:eek:
Hollywood

Yes, it appears to be a retiree friendly town

and its OK, I'm a grey hair! :)

Skwim is correct. I had an old friend (he has shuffled off, sadly...) who lived there.

Friends bought a house in Sequim when the market tanked a few years ago. It's a great place!

OK my Canadian friend .... how would you pronounce it?

See Quim?

Probably showed my ignorance and stuck my foot in it both.

"Skwim" is correct. You don't pronounce the "e."

The Olympic Penninsula is nice but there's very little going on there outside of what's left of the logging industry. For retirees who are pretty self contained and don't have much desire or need for what "town" offers, it's great. Or for the person who wants a weekend or vacation getaway place away from town.

But it's a long haul from Sequim and Port Angeles to the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle-Everett-Mount Vernon-Anacortes-Bellngham-Vancouver "strip" on the east side of Puget Sound/Strait of Georgia.

There used to be a great restaurant near Dungeness Spit that made the journey from the Seattle area well worth the drive. But The Three Crabs is long gone and we've seen and done everything else over there so we've no more reason to go anymore.

Last edited:
And you'll look like a tourist if you don't call it "Skwim."

Kind of like South Dakota - if you pronounce the capitol "pee-air" we know you're not from here.

Kind of like South Dakota - if you pronounce the capitol "pee-air" we know you're not from here.

How do your pronounce it?

For two summers I worked on a ranch in the Colorado Rockies. It was in the southern Rockies up at the base of the Collegiate Range: Mt. Harvard, Mt. Yale, etc., all in the 14,000 foot range.

The town closest to the ranch is Buena Vista. Now most people would pronounce that Bu-ay-na Vista. But that would be wrong. In Colorado, it's pronounced Be-you-na Vista.

But it's a long haul from Sequim and Port Angeles to the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle-Everett-Mount Vernon-Anacortes-Bellngham-Vancouver "strip" on the east side of Puget Sound/Strait of Georgia.

Its a bit over 2 hours IIRC. Close enough if you need to get something. The whole point of the Olympic Peninsula is to avoid the ugly overpopulated mess in the "strip" you describe.

I live in a similar strip in SE Queensland, but I long for what it was like back in the 80's as far as traffic is concerned. The only viable solution, apart from moving somewhere with a lot less people, is to live very close to where you spend most of your time when not at home. I can ride my bike or walk down to the boat.....

"Skwim" is correct. You don't pronounce the "e."

The Olympic Penninsula is nice but there's very little going on there outside of what's left of the logging industry. For retirees who are pretty self contained and don't have much desire or need for what "town" offers, it's great. Or for the person who wants a weekend or vacation getaway place away from town.

There used to be a great restaurant near Dungeness Spit that made the journey from the Seattle area well worth the drive. But The Three Crabs is long gone and we've seen and done everything else over there so we've no more reason to go anymore.

The fact that its a log way away from the greater Seattle area is why we like it.

We are not big town people. Even Whidby seemed too close to the rat race for us.

We loved Port Angeles in general. Stayed at Port Angeles Boat Haven but we did go to John Wayne while exploring in our tender. It has less activity so more peaceful. But the people in Port Angeles are very welcoming and many involved in boating from building to maintenance. Also, Platypus is capable of handling any boat up to 120'. And if you want all the industry rumors, definitely the place to be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom