Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #81
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
They do have their moments....

But we were around a few this morning in confined waters behind Myrtle Beach...well behaved....

On the other hand, just had 2 trawlers wake the marina pretty well....enough that the Dockmaster came out screaming.

There are no purist groups of boaters....

Only good and bad boaters no matter what they drive.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #82

City: San Diego
I think Jet Ski's are great.... once in a while!
merman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #83
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
................ we were around a few this morning in confined waters behind Myrtle Beach...well behaved......
Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is jet ski hell in season. There are a bunch of rental places along there and they rent to people who have never driven a jet ski (or boat) before.

There's nothing quite like tooling up or down the ICW at seven knots and looking up to see fifteen jet skis heading towards you and spread out across the waterway. At the last second they split up and half of them pass you on either side. And of course when their time is up they turn around and pass you again in the other direction.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #84
Guru

And that's a problem if you aren't in a kayak?

And probably no worse than a thousand other places....seen that before hundreds of times towing someone in NJ.

Point being is there are bad or truly inexperienced boaters driving all kinds of vessels.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #85
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Hi Scott

I imagine they must be a big part of your income towing in a moron who broke down. I've had a few ask me for a tow back from the Elliot Key area to Key Biscayne, I offer to call a towing service but they have no money to pay. Oh well.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #86
Guru

City: Northport
"We each have our own set of circumstances and our own solutions.
A jet ski could be adapted to carry groceries and supplies. One potential problem is, at least in SC, they cannot legally be run at night. I don't know if adding running lights would make one legal or not. Personally, I think a larger dinghy or even something like a Jon boat would have been a better choice. Between the jet ski, the crane and reinforcing the foredeck, he must have spent $10K or so."

Hello Wes, yes - back to the OP.
FWIW - we had been fortunate enough to cruise on many occasions where both our jet ski and RIB were along for the trip - as well as other boats that also had RIBs or jet skis. In every case both the adults and the younger crew would end up preferring the Rib or Ribs as opposed to the jet ski(s). When they were all around at anchor or a dock the Ribs would serve as a base or for long excursions where the jet ski would be used intermittently or eventually not at all.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #87
Guru

City: Northport
"I met a guy who had trouble getting in and out of a conventional dinghy (he was on the large side) so he bought a PWC. He had a Bayliner, perhaps 40' or so and he had the foredeck reinforced and installed a cradle for the PWC and a crane to lift it into and out of the water.
He used to be the dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach, SC."

That owners is pretty active on the Baylinerownersclub site and has done a really nice job setting up the larger jet ski on the bow of his 38 Bayliner. I tend to be cautious when telling folks about this set up as the extra weight both high and forward on the boat really affect the handling when you are talking about these sizes. If anyone were to consider this arrangement I would ask them to please consider the types of cruising they do in both speed and sea states and 'test' the affect of this amount and location of weight before they commit to a design such as this.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is jet ski hell in season. There are a bunch of rental places along there and they rent to people who have never driven a jet ski (or boat) before.

There's nothing quite like tooling up or down the ICW at seven knots and looking up to see fifteen jet skis heading towards you and spread out across the waterway. At the last second they split up and half of them pass you on either side. And of course when their time is up they turn around and pass you again in the other direction.
Wifey B: Myrtle Beach to Little River (SC) is trawler hell in season. There are a bunch of people who act like it's their first time on the water. They think because they're bigger that everyone should give the entire ICW to them.

There's nothing quite like tooling up and down the ICW at 30 mph and looking to see two or three trawlers taking the entire channel. They know at the last second we'll split up and go around them since it's clear they aren't going to change anything. And of course, they get upset when we come back by returning to our origination.

Couldn't resist, but in all seriousness, it's a congested area and all contribute toward it. Yes, some of the jet skiers have no idea what they're doing. Same with some of the runabouts and some of the trawlers. On holidays and weekends it reminds us of the lake we lived on.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #89
Guru

I treat jet skis the same way super tankers treat me...

Bet it is not hard to figure out, the jet skiers do and I have no problems with them...and they are happy so....all is well.....
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #90
Guru

City: Boston Area
Those jet skiers kind of remind me of all those darn pedestrians crossing the streets when I'm trying to drive to work.....
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #91
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
My response is the same as RT's. Dead slow, no wake - they hopefully go away. I KNOW that if I run over one of these clowns as they cut across my bow at 30 knots with 18" of clearance and their engine stalls, the headline will read: CARELESS YACHT OWNER RAMS HELPLESS CHILD AT PLAY. Child being 25 years old or under. If you have a boat > 25', it is definitionally a yacht. Sheesh!
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #92
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
I made this up a number of years ago for fun. It got published a couple of times. Thought I would share....

-------------

It was a great morning. The birds were out. A cool mist had formed along the surface of the mirror-like water. I hardly had needed to anchor last night. Everything was so still. Nature was holding her breath. A hot cup of coffee, and everything was perfect. Until…

I first heard it coming from around the western point of the cove. It was sort of a ringing sound. As it grew louder, it also got deeper in tone. Then, as it came around the treeline, the noise increased by at least 30dB. If the birds were still there singing, I wouldn’t have known it. Compared to just moments earlier, the noise was deafening. It was yet another PWC.

I scrambled down the companionway and rotated the 200amp selector switch 90 degrees to engage the large, dedicated, battery bank I had just finished checking the water level on the night before. I hesitated a second, and then pushed the black button labeled, “POWER”. The cabin lights dimmed for a second as the huge capacitive load of the pre-feeder circuit engaged.

I had just installed the thing. It was a Varstenberg X8TR. The highest capacity fusion cannon made by the the off-shore company’s secret service. The X8TR came standard with a neon green laser sight (better for daylight), an electro-inductive pre-feeding booster circuit (now engaged and severely tapping my house bank), and a digital GPS-locating range finder with heat-seeking optimizer. As I singlehand most of the time, I didn’t opt for the hand-geometry based owner-security system. Besides, it added about $10,000. to the cost!

The installation next to the hawse-pipe in the anchor locker was tricky. I hadn’t counted on the sheer size of the unit. Some precise cuts with my handy Dremel tool made things go a little better. There were many questions I still had – because I still hadn’t fired it. Were the 1in. diameter bolts big enough? What would the recoil impact be? Should I put a longer snubber on the anchor rode? What about the scorch marks bound to be left on the bowsprit? None of that mattered now….

I flipped the switch for the Varsten’s raw water cooling system. The surge at the surface of the water was very evident. There was a mini “water tornado” now present next to the hull, making a gurgling sound. I was glad I had up-sized the thru-hull to a full two inches over the recommended size.

By now the “Craft” was well past the point and was becoming centered in the cove’s opening to the large water. I am not sure if he saw me or not.

The fusion cannon’s display now said, “READY”.

The PWC turned and headed straight for me. I could hear the RPM’s of the two-stroke increase to near red-line. I guess he had seen me and I tried to figure out his plan. Was it the “do donuts around the boat until it is rocking uncontrollably” trick? Or the “idle-to-full-speed-and-back” throttle action to make the most noise possible? Or was it the “head straight at the boat and turn at the last minute hoping not to kill anybody”?

I don’t think so.

The green-laser sight panel was already flipped down from the dodger’s main support bar. The PWC was showing up as a small red blip on the left edge of the display. I pushed the x10 magnifier and voila! There it was. The GPS locator said that the blast would take 0.07mSec to reach the target. I decided not to turn on the heat-sinking optimizer because the rooster tail spraying up from the back of the PWC might distract the software algorithm in the unit.

I think I saw him straighten up a little as he heard the whine of the fusion coupler’s accumulator as it spun up to its final, maximum RPM. The display switched to read “ARMED”.

I mumbled “Homie don’t play ‘dat” as I pushed the “AWAY” button.

I think I spilled some of my coffee.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #93

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Or you could just get a shotgun. We call it jetskeet.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #94
Guru

Or you could just demonstrate maturity.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #95
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yep, but it does work both ways.

Jet skis suck but there are on occasion responsible riders out there.
I reckon the same knobs that ride them annoyingly are the same knobs that ride motorbikes illegally through suburbia (noisy, racing, wheelies etc)
Probably sick of getting harassed on land for being a wanker so try water instead as less chance of getting busted by the cops.

I don't have a problem with them when they are waaaaay over there, in that open water not annoying others.
There is a whole ocean out there after all.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #96

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Is there anything more annoying?

Glad you commented .. I too can't think of anything worse than sitting in a nice anchorage and a power boat comes in with one / two of those things in tow .... that's when we move .....

FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #97
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
unbelievable...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yep, but it does work both ways.

But two wrongs don't make a right. People are going to do things we don't like. Sometimes we're justified, sometimes not so much. But either way we have to live with it. It only makes it worse when we let it really get to us.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #99
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
But two wrongs don't make a right. People are going to do things we don't like. Sometimes we're justified, sometimes not so much. But either way we have to live with it. It only makes it worse when we let it really get to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
.....I made this up a number of years ago for fun.

[snip]
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #100
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
But two wrongs don't make a right.
Agreed, but with jet skis its only them that are wrong.

It is them who go to fast through anchorages, go to close to boats, make excessive noise and generally fek up everyone else's day.

Best we can do on a slow moving or anchored vessel is shake our fist and then ...................shake our fist again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote