Jefferson Marquessa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berwick

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Jefferson Marquessa 60'
We recently completed the Great Loop on our Mainship 430 aft cabin and now want to step up to something in the 55-60' category. We love our Mainship, and have owned it for nine years. It was the perfect "Loop" boat, but as stated we want something with more room to cruise the Bahamas a little more extensively. We are looking at a Jefferson Marquessa (among other boats), but have no experience with Jefferson. Any advice on what issues to look for on these boats? Thanks!

Hi Berwick, Sorry I cant help with info on the Jefferson Marquessa.
But welcome to this forum.
Talk to you next week,
PS. make sure that boat has a good air conditioner!

No advice on the Jefferson Marquessa, but welcome aboard, and hopefully someone will provide you with the info you are looking for.

Berwick, we own a 1990 Jefferson Marquessa and love it. We bought it almost three years ago and have gone through alot of long needed hidden maintenace to get her up to speed. I can give you a full list of things to look for when looking at them and the issues that we ran into in getting her fixed up. They are georgeous yachts and are very comfortable. Most have the 550hp 6V92 Detroits and they are very well matched for the boat. At 7.5 to 8.5 knots you burn about 9 GPH. Push it to 10 knots and you are around 12 Gph and at 14.5 knots which is a good planing cruise it runs about 44 GPH. When seas are up at 3 feet I find it more comfortable to run up in the 10 or more knots. Let me know if you would like a list of all the things to look for and I will get it to you.

Here is a short list of what I would look out for.
Head hoses/holding tank hoses - If they haven't been replaced they probably should be. DO NOT UNDERESTMATE THIS JOB. Many of the hoses are ran below subfloor that is glassed down. In some cases you have to cut the floor and install access panels to get to the hoses that are strapped below the floor on stringers. Can all be done as we did but it is a pain. the holding tank is under the generator in the generator engine room under the galley. Access is through a pull up access door. Can see some of the head hoses there. If you need to replace and they have not been replaced they do not pull through.....
Battery system - like many motor yachts these boats were setup with two 8D engine start/house battteries with no inverter. We installed a 3000 watt inverter and 3 4D house batteries with appropriate switching. Some of the boats we looked at the owners had done similar work.
Sink drains and skupper hoses - usually will need to be replaced. Not to bad but figure in the costs.
Check the underside of the windlass and make sure it is not loose. We needed to rebuild the core underside and install proper backing plate.
Make sure to check the water and fuel tanks for any issues. Ours were fine but could be easily overlooked.
Bilge hoses all needed to be replaced. Sump hoses needed to be replaced.
Check the radar arch for flex and leaks. Ours had a access port on the botom of the arch. When opened and it poored nasty water down on me. More fiberglass work to sure up and fix.
Engine hoses - make sure they are good or allow for that expense.
Engine fuel hoses check.
If you want to stop by when making a trip to south Florida, we live in Niceville just across the bay from Destin. I could go through our boat with you and go over everything and show you where all the access locations are and what to look for.

Berwick

Welcome to the Forum you will find it amazing the amount of information you can glean from the members, As you can see above RogerH.

BTW I have relatives in Houma

Thanks, Roger. Our previous boat lived at Marina Jack for two years. We will be in Sarasota this weekend looking at boats! Berwick

If you want to stop by Niceville on your way down to Sarasota to go over ours so you know what you will be looking for you are welcome to do that. Just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom