Jacksonville to Naples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradlesh

Veteran Member
Heading to Naples, FL in mid April. Just starting to plan route. Is it quicker to go around Miami or cross the state on waterway?

it is much faster to take the Okeechobee Waterway that to go to Marathon in the Keys.

:socool:

If you chose the lake rather than the keys , go across the lake , the rim route on the chart can be very iffy for most cruisers.

I am planning a cruise to FL in a few weeks. No destination, just a cruise. When I read about the waterway, I want to go that way. When I read about the rest of FL, I want to go that way. Maybe I can do both.

Assuming you have a trawler, the waterway is fine. There are some bridges that limit sailboats to 49' or so.

FF mentions the rim route vs. directly across the lake. The depths on the rim route vary a bit depending on rainfall but you can find current information and decide if it's doable for your boat.

This time of year, the weather can be more unsettled. Other than crossing the lake, you will spend less time in unprotected water going across the Okeechobee waterway.

Ted

Crossing the lake is a worthwhile trip. It's different in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom