Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #161
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
On another note, my father in law was checking out our jabsco spotlight. Everthign worked, except the bulb was really loose. We figured there was some sort of rubber gasket missing that holds the bulb in more securely. I went to get the model and serial # off of it to get a new gasket. After looking at it for a few minutes, I realized that the collar was not installed correctly. I was able to fix it with a screwdriver! Hallelujah! Finally an easy fix!
Attached Thumbnails
2014-07-11 11.08.10.jpg  
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #162
Guru

In other news, the mechanic I hired more than a month ago and met with a couple of weeks ago to work on my stern thruster and do a few odds and ends has bailed on me. He sent me an email saying he doesnt have time this season. Disappointing to say the least. I got the name of another guy in the area, but if anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it. It looks like I'm going to have to haul out anyways to install anew transducer at some point anyways.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #163
Guru

Monday update. I spent Friday and Saturday at the boat. I met with a marine electrician on Friday. I hired him to go through the electrical system and check everything out. As I suspected, it seems like the battery banks are not properly separated. Somewhere in the boats history, a device was removed and replaced with an ACR. (It's pictured above somewhere). Apparently the ACR used was pretty small for my battery banks and there are not enough of them. The electrician will provide and install the proper devices to make the battery banks easy to manage and remain properly charged. We also looked over the future navigation equipment installation. None of the equipment I ordered has showed up on my doorstep yet, so starting the install is still a ways off.
In more positive news, I was able to fully rebuild the windshield wipers, pivot arms, blades, and arms. I also re-assembled the trim in the pilothouse. Other than some errant sawdust and WORKING windshield wipers, you would never know work was done there. Here is some fun I had with my boy testing the wipers.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #164
Guru

well, i cant seem to figure out how to upload a video. probably better that you didn't see it.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #165
Guru

Ok, so today, all the parts to rebuild the Raycor filters arrived! They all look like the right parts too! (knock on wood). this is another one of those projects that has lost steam, since I was not sure about what parts i needed to order, but It looks like we got it right. I'll find out this weekend if they will work, but things are looking up.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #166
Guru

Some small shakers we caught in the harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
20140711_193515.jpg   20140711_205545.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #167
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
well, i cant seem to figure out how to upload a video. probably better that you didn't see it.
I believe you post the embed link directly into your post.I haven't done it here in so long that I can't be 100% sure.

Good work by the way.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #168
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Bligh-your last two pictures show why all the work and irritation is worthwhile! It does not get much better than that!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #169
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Pleather, one of my favorite words.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Pleather, one of my favorite words.
Yeah it's definitely underrated. After i feed my boys, I just walk around the boat with windex and a paper towel and wipe all their grime off the walls and ceilings.
On second thought maybe I shouldn't replace the carpet until they are older...
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #171
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
On second thought maybe I shouldn't replace the carpet until they are older...
My wife is stuck with a living room full of 15 year old worn out furniture owing to that same logic. Light at the end of the tunnel as 2 boys flew the coop and our youngest is in 8th grade. Wife promised I will pay dearly when remodel time comes.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #172
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
This thread sounds like my to-do campaign. I file work orders at the service department at the marina and they just ignore them, so I have to do everything myself whether or not I have the time, and whether or not I want to pay somebody else to do it. A few times I've thought about flying up a boat service guy from say Florida for a few days and knocking it all out at once - but good luck finding a good boat service guy (or woman, I don't care) willing to travel.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #173
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
This thread sounds like my to-do campaign. I file work orders at the service department at the marina and they just ignore them, so I have to do everything myself whether or not I have the time, and whether or not I want to pay somebody else to do it. A few times I've thought about flying up a boat service guy from say Florida for a few days and knocking it all out at once - but good luck finding a good boat service guy (or woman, I don't care) willing to travel.
I know the perfect guy who can do that. The infamous Captain Bob. He can do anything from rebuild engines, weld, match gel coat perfectly, electrical, and electronics. If you have a motorcycle for him to ride when he gets there, he'll likely hop on a plane for you. He has no bad habits except ribs, send me an email, and I'll send you his contact info.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #174
Guru

2 weekends away seems like a lifetime. I was glad to get back to the boat with my oldest this weekend. We were only there for Sat and left early sunday, but it was well worth the visit. We didnt leave the dock, but had a great time together. We ate our meals together, he fished, and I worked on the boat.

I was able to change out both bowls on the Raycors- the parts finally came (and the correct ones were delivered the first time!). Checked off another requirement for the insurance.

I refilled the batteries with distilled water. Easy beans.

I finally was able to install the BBQ. After several trips and special orders to West Marine, the correct mounting bracket arrived. But we forgot the meat and settled for canned chili and spagettios for dinner. For whatever reason, my kids prefer spagettios for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the boat. It's fine with me, just dont tell my wife.

The canvas guy has been around. He has all the new directional snaps installed around the windows and has the window coverings ready to go. I think all he has to do now is install the other half of the snaps onto the covers themselves and we are good to go. He is using some sort of plastic reinforcment at the edges of the covers and wants to install them when it is hot out so the plastic is stretched out/expanded. I told him not to worry about sealing the snaps as I will take care of it myself. Our pilothouse bulkheads are FRP over marine plywood. I was thinking to just take the screws out, fill the holes with 4200 and re-install the screws. I know the whole method of drilling the hole bigger and filling with epoxy, and I'm willing to do that too, but wont the epoxy crack when the screws are reinstalled? And will the screws still hold? the holes are very small at this point and not subject to any amount of water at this point. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
2014-08-10 09.08.52.jpg   2014-08-09 15.04.33.jpg   2014-08-09 15.04.45.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #175
Guru

Also scheduling a haul-out for a new transducer, radar mast installation, and some work on the stern thruster.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #176
Guru

I've been away for a couple of weeks. But the canvas artisan has done some work on Frisky. He sent me this picture;
Attached Thumbnails
20140812_1714281.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #177
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. Moving right along..."...fill the holes with 4200 and re-install the screws." IF the screws have good solid bite I see no problem with this approach. If the screw holes are a bit wonky, go the epoxy route with a pilot hole after the epoxy is set.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #178
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Wouldn't the same approach using 5200 solve wonky screw holes?
I'm just asking not stating fact.......
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #179
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. lll. Well, filling wonky (meaning larger than acceptable for a good solid bite of the screw threads) screw holes with a resilient sealant will simply glue the screw and the associated fitting into the substrate. If there is any movement of the fitting, even minuscule movement, as in snapping and unsnapping of window covers, the screw eventually loosens and will pull out. Don't even get me started on 5200. For this application, Mr. b has rightly chosen 4200 although I would probably use Dolfinite which is my "go to" bedding compound.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #180
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. lll. Well, filling wonky (meaning larger than acceptable for a good solid bite of the screw threads) screw holes with a resilient sealant will simply glue the screw and the associated fitting into the substrate. If there is any movement of the fitting, even minuscule movement, as in snapping and unsnapping of window covers, the screw eventually loosens and will pull out. Don't even get me started on 5200. For this application, Mr. b has rightly chosen 4200 although I would probably use Dolfinite which is my "go to" bedding compound.
Awwww come on RT - Tell us what you really think about 5200!

Not knowing too much about it, having only used it once (the slow set type) on a pool repair, I'm always interested to learn more about it.

There are upcoming applications where I plan to use it for "permanent" affixation on our Tolly boat. I have heard that although both the slow and fast setting 5200 is very strong/durable that slow set is stronger in the long run.

Any info on 5200 (4200 too) is appreciated...

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote