It's official. I'm a trawler owner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bligh you are really getting after this boat . Nice work .

It's been a while but hydraulic oil should be cheaper than ATF and is good oil. Good enough for systems operating whith pressures of 2,000 to3,000 psi and still protecting the pumps and motors.
Once flushing is done then install the ATF. There won't be enough of the hydraulic oil to cause a problem.

As you say it is now to late but maybe this will help someone else if they have similar problems.

I hope that you don't have anymore trouble and better luck going forward..

Boat sounds like you have been doing a darn fine job.

It's been a while but hydraulic oil should be cheaper than ATF and is good oil. Good enough for systems operating whith pressures of 2,000 to3,000 psi and still protecting the pumps and motors.
Once flushing is done then install the ATF. There won't be enough of the hydraulic oil to cause a problem.

As you say it is now to late but maybe this will help someone else if they have similar problems.

I hope that you don't have anymore trouble and better luck going forward..

Boat sounds like you have been doing a darn fine job.

Ill call the mfg and see if i can just use hydraulic oil id its cheaper. Will the hydraulic oil emulsify as quickly as the atf?

A picture of the finished hatch in the overhead, concealing the wiring connections and bolts in the mast.

Attachments

• 2014-11-02 16.53.25.jpg
    2014-11-02 16.53.25.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 93
Of course when I went to reinstall the trim in the pilothouse, I was missing a bunch of screws. I know I was going to be a little short, but I'm missing like half the screws! And of course they are bronze or stainless steel with a square drive. There are so many missing, I think I must have put them in a container somewhere and now cant find them or they got tossed in the garbage. I already have new ones on the way from Jamestown Distributors. I also ordered now snap caps from Pro-Dec. I couldn't quite match the color online so I ordered a few and one of them matched perfectly.

Attachments

• 2014-11-05 15.15.45.jpg
    2014-11-05 15.15.45.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 94
I think I'm going to start spelling boat, "boatt."

If you get all the water out no oil will emulsify. The devil is flushing it, to push out the H2O. I don't think the type of oil matters as long as the viscosity is close.

Ok, I'm back.
I have had a mechanic out to work on Frisky. He adjusted the lifters and valves, installed a brand new water pump, and re-aligned the engine. He had us take if for a test drive at full throttle. It was a blast. I saw just shy of 18 knots at full throttle (25GPH according to the manufacturer). During the sea trial we discovered a sticking thermostat. I suspected it was sticking, before, but knew better than to say it to a mechanic as its usually mis-diagnosed. But after the sea trial, we both agreed it was sticking open. I rescheduled him to come out and replace it while I worked on the water heater. We ran new coolant lines to the air handler/heater core and the water heater. Lastly, he connected the fuel polishing unit to the fuel system. We sea trialed Frisky again and the drive train and engine is good to go for a while (knock on wood). After all the work I put into the engine and having a great mechanic out to approve of my work and do the rest of the work, I finally have confidence in our single Cummins.

I was only able to run the fuel polisher for 6 hours or so, but the tanks seem devoid of water as none collected in the bowl.

Attachments

• 2015-02-20 19.43.09.jpg
    2015-02-20 19.43.09.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
Ok, my next problem is related to the water pumps. there is what seems to be a vacuum breaker or check valve installed before both the raw water pump and the fresh water pump that have both decided to leak (the raw water pump I just shut the sea cock and forgot about a few months ago). I returned to my boat after a couple weeks away to find the bilge filled with 4 or so gallons of fresh water (sticking float switch) and traced the water trail back to this device.
Can anyone identify this part for me so I can replace it?
Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-02-19 22.24.31.jpg
    2015-02-19 22.24.31.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
In other news, we are getting ready to install the new garmin AP and interface it with the rest of the electronics.

That's an inline strainer, Scott. Probably a very easy fix with off the shelf parts.

That's an inline strainer, Scott. Probably a very easy fix with off the shelf parts.
Great. If its leaking or is it smoked, or does it just need to be cleaned? West Marine?

Last edited:
It should be relatively simple to pull it and look for the telltale signs of leakage. First place I'd look are the o-rings and the hose connections. It might be more obvious to dry and recheck after a period with the water flowing, looking for the location of the source. Then you can disassemble and find the cause. O-rings are cheap.

Great. If its leaking or is it smoked, or does it just need to be cleaned? West Marine?

Mine leaked too and it was just the o-ring. Simple fix. Woo hoo! One in a row

Just prior to my pump I had one of those. It's a filter. There's a fine screen on it. Twist to open and clean it. I don't believe it does anything but prevent gunk from getting into the pump.

I removed mine -- have a whole house filter upstream of the filter (between tank and pump)

The filter I added to my bilge pump. When I pump out Algae (after a lot of rain) I use the filter prior to refilling my water tank. It's a way to have water without going to a marina. :)

Addendum: Gosh, you fellows are quick tonight...

Last edited:
Just prior to my pump I had one of those. It's a filter. There's a fine screen on it. Twist to open and clean it. I don't believe it does anything but prevent gunk from getting into the pump.

I removed mine -- have a whole house filter upstream of the filter (between tank and pump)

The filter I added to my bilge pump. When I pump out Algae (after a lot of rain) I use the filter prior to refilling my water tank. It's a way to have water without going to a marina. :)

Addendum: Gosh, you fellows are quick tonight...

I got new strainers on amazon. New and improved (hopefully) design.
Amazon.com: SHURFLO (255-313) 1/2" Twist-On Pipe Strainer: Automotive
They installed fine, but now the old adapters are weeping so, I ordered new adapters as well to put on there.

On another front, I had my electrician out and we removed the old ray marine autopilot and installed a new Garmin unit. We installed a heading sensor, rudder sensor, the display/HIU, control unit, and related wiring. We were easily able to tie the garmin unit into the existing hydraulic pump.

Attachments

• 2015-03-14 14.56.46.jpg
    2015-03-14 14.56.46.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 2015-03-14 14.56.41.jpg
    2015-03-14 14.56.41.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I have all the old ray marine stuff if anyone wants a used but working sans pump 0183 autopilot.

Attachments

• 2014-06-15 16.06.48.jpg
    2014-06-15 16.06.48.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 107
After a busy season with the wife, boys and new puppy, Frisky is out of the water again. We are having work done at Ladd's Marina in Stockton.
I removed the stern davits as I don't think they are robust enough for our tender. I'm still deciding to get either a crane on the roof or a heavier set of stern davits. Once we had the old davits off, I liked having the extra access to the swim platform.

Work we are having completed;
Hull above water line is being repainted.
Hull below water line is being sanded and repainted
New boot stripe
New rub rail installed.
New cushions and covers throughout the boat.
New DirecTV system installed. (old working Sea-King "Dish" system available for purchase)
New raw water and exhaust temperature alarm installed.

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 12.59.52.jpg
    2016-03-09 12.59.52.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 2016-03-17 15.13.53.jpg
    2016-03-17 15.13.53.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_30011.jpg
    IMG_30011.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_16381.jpg
    IMG_16381.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_19641.jpg
    IMG_19641.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_75491.png
    IMG_75491.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_58231.jpg
    IMG_58231.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Bligh, I'm guessing you are back in the water now that my boat is setting where you were. I didn't realize you were at Ladd's.

Bob

Bligh, I'm guessing you are back in the water now that my boat is setting where you were. I didn't realize you were at Ladd's.

Bob

Funny. I drove up there this weekend and saw my boat missing and your boat in my spot! I drove around a bit and found where they moved me to. (Still there)

Congrat's, she's beautiful

Funny. I drove up there this weekend and saw my boat missing and your boat in my spot! I drove around a bit and found where they moved me to. (Still there)

I got there about 9 AM Friday, your boat was moved and mine was in your spot drip dry. Alan shuffled some other boats, put two in the water and pulled two more. He then helped pull the trans and bell housing on mine before calling it quits for the day. It was his birthday, 83! He is amazing.

Did you paint the boat yourself, or does Alan have a painter working again?

No I didnt paint it. I had my fiberglass guy do it at Ladds. Hes still working on it. Another 2 weeks or so and we should be done. Ladds is doing a few things for me and painting the bottom.

:flowers:Saw it and it looks great!

bligh, I'll be there midday Thurs. Gonna be around?

I'll be conducting TF Super Secret No Notice On The Spot Refrigerator Inspections and will check out Frisky for any spare IPAs. I sure hope you do better than the last time I checked out your fridge! :D

Last edited:
bligh, I'll be there midday Thurs. Gonna be around?

I'll be conducting TF Super Secret No Notice On The Spot Refrigerator Inspections and will check out Frisky for any spare IPAs. I sure hope you do better than the last time I checked out your fridge! :D

I'll be there this thursday. Sorry i missed you. Wasnt there. Im guessing my fridge didnt pass inspection.

My fridge did, but inventory is being steadily reduced.

Update:
Hoping to splash on Thursday. Hull is polished and wax is going on today. New carpets and cushions being installed. New mast installed. Hydraulic pump is now mounted on engine and a new belt guard is installed on the 5.9. New rub rail will be installed at the slip.
Hoping for no new issues!

Attachments

• IMG_13201.jpg
    IMG_13201.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_81941.jpg
    IMG_81941.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom