Old 10-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #221
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Doesn't the fluid run in both directions? One way for port, and the other way for stbd? Make sure you constantly run it one way. Until cleared up or you will be just pushing contaminated fluid back and forth. Have you asked Manuf'r for guidance on flushing? They may have an installed valve/port in the system from the factory just to accomplish this.
Yeah, if I run it in one direction with new fluid, it should flush it all out as long as I don't feed it back into the system.

Although Bob is a very helpful person, he does not have any experience with this sort of issue. Also from what I can tell Dickson Thruster is a one man show.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #222
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
They are just above the radar. I hope its not an issue.
Your pic looks like the same one from the manual I looked at online for the MFD 7212 but directly to the left of it and in bold letters, it states to be sure it is at least 3 feet away from the path of any radar beam.

I was kind of hoping to do a mast mount like yours but the Garmin manual is scaring me away. Let us know how it works.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #223
Guru

I am using the product as it was designed from seaview.

This is from the seaview website.

"With this spreader kit there are two ways to configure it, one for a closed dome radar configuration and one for a satdome configuration. The above image illustrates what is included out of the box, including the extension posts. When you are using a closed dome radar with a spreader kit you want to raise your GPS units above the closed dome radar to avoid interference. If you are using a satdome you don’t need to use these extension posts with GPS units. "

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #224
Guru

Fireworks we saw in Rio Vista this weekend.
Attached Files
Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #225
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
The current GPS location will be fine. Even though it may not be ideal from a purist standpoint it really won't effect either the GPS or the Radar. I had something similar on my Mainship and it was set up that way and worked for 5 plus seasons. Neither unit seemed to effect operational performance of the other.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #226
Guru

Good News! Frisky is out of the boat yard. I brought her back to the slip on Friday (without hitting the bottom).
Most projects are completed. The electrician and I still have some minor wiring and penetrations to deal with and then that's it until he starts with the major electical items later this year.
Some pictures below, new radar mast, new window coverings with view from inside, new electronic gadgets, new ais vhf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 16.07.15.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	33868   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 16.10.06.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	33869   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 16.10.19.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	33870   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 16.15.14.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	33871   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 16.10.15.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	33872  

Old 10-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #227
Guru

Also a new fuel polishing system in the ER that I still need to run the plumbing on. (Will be asking technical questions later). Also all new hoses for the hydraulic stern thruster along with new fluid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-24 17.38.02.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	33873  
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #228
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
All Looks Good... keep up the great efforts for oncoming years of fun in the sun! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #229
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Frisky is looking fantastic Bligh sporting her new jewelry.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #230
Guru

John at Waltons Marine Repair in Rio Vista did most of the general work. Waltons lets owners work on their own boats while they are out of the water. They do great woodwork, fiberglass, and general repairs. John made a great teak box cover for the new hole in my overhead. Very professional.

Micheal Daley of Redwood Marine Electrical did much of the electrical and will continue to do more work overhauling the electrical system. Michael is highly skilled and quite meticulous.

I highly recommend both of these outfits. They were both easy to work with and priced fairly.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #231
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Looking great!!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #232
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I had the pleasure of meeting Bligh(and Bligh-son) and Frisky last weekend and can attest that she sure looks sweet. Bligh's making some great improvements. He even had his private window washer (Stepmom) in there on Sunday morning cleaning all the windows.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #233

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Boat looks fantastic!
Do you have the hull rubbed out?
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #234
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
How far along are you on flushing the bow thruster system? I'm likely too late but I'll carry on anyway.

Normally you should not connect the actual thruster at all untill the system is cleaned. Done by using fittings to connect the two hoses together. That way the thruster never sees contaminated oil.

The control valve should be disassembled and cleaned. They are not hard to do but other wise some water or moisture may stay to cause later trouble. It can hide and stay in the lower parts of the spool and at the spool ends where there is almost no oil movement so little or NO flushing.

The tank should be completely swabbed out.

Vacuuming the lines out is a good idea
but air pressure will probably do a much better job.

Both is even better.

Just be sure the hose end is firmly contained so it cannot fly about, spraying oil everywhere and maybe smacking and damaging something.

You will want to put the end firmly into a jug like an old plastic fuel jug/jerry can so any oil is definitely contained. In addition to solid oil there will be mist. Just ensure there is a good escape hole for the pressurized air or you may burst the jug. I think an old oil container will be on the light side. The fuel jug/jerry can can then be cleaned later.

With the thruster out of line you can use a cheaper oil since no pressure, or very little will be developed. Reswab the reservoir out once flushing has been done, then refill with the correct oil. Whatever remains of the flushing oil should be so minimal that it should not cause problems. If you want to be sure then do a final flush with the final oil and then clean the tank again.

You have salt water which will be far nastier in the hydraulics than some fresh water so it must be removed. thoroughly.

And of course , as suggested, contact the mfgr about any specific instructions they have.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #235
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
John at Waltons Marine Repair in Rio Vista did most of the general work. Waltons lets owners work on their own boats while they are out of the water. They do great woodwork, fiberglass, and general repairs. John made a great teak box cover for the new hole in my overhead. Very professional.

Micheal Daley of Redwood Marine Electrical did much of the electrical and will continue to do more work overhauling the electrical system. Michael is highly skilled and quite meticulous.

I highly recommend both of these outfits. They were both easy to work with and priced fairly.

Thanks Bligh. I will stop by Waltons to look it over next time traveling to boat. Also contemplating Ladds Marine for haul in next year or two. Will keep Michael Daley, Redwood Marine Electrical in mind for needs that may arise. I just checked out both websites... look good. - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #236
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
How far along are you on flushing the bow thruster system? I'm likely too late but I'll carry on anyway.

Normally you should not connect the actual thruster at all untill the system is cleaned. Done by using fittings to connect the two hoses together. That way the thruster never sees contaminated oil.

The control valve should be disassembled and cleaned. They are not hard to do but other wise some water or moisture may stay to cause later trouble. It can hide and stay in the lower parts of the spool and at the spool ends where there is almost no oil movement so little or NO flushing.

The tank should be completely swabbed out.

Vacuuming the lines out is a good idea
but air pressure will probably do a much better job.

Both is even better.

Just be sure the hose end is firmly contained so it cannot fly about, spraying oil everywhere and maybe smacking and damaging something.

You will want to put the end firmly into a jug like an old plastic fuel jug/jerry can so any oil is definitely contained. In addition to solid oil there will be mist. Just ensure there is a good escape hole for the pressurized air or you may burst the jug. I think an old oil container will be on the light side. The fuel jug/jerry can can then be cleaned later.

With the thruster out of line you can use a cheaper oil since no pressure, or very little will be developed. Reswab the reservoir out once flushing has been done, then refill with the correct oil. Whatever remains of the flushing oil should be so minimal that it should not cause problems. If you want to be sure then do a final flush with the final oil and then clean the tank again.

You have salt water which will be far nastier in the hydraulics than some fresh water so it must be removed. thoroughly.

And of course , as suggested, contact the mfgr about any specific instructions they have.
Thanks for the advice. But too late at this point. I drained everything i could and cleaned the tank the refilled it with fresh ATF. Then i ran it for 5 minutes and sucked out all the oil i could from the resovoir tank. It was still contaminated, but not too bad. So i refilled the tank with ATF again and i havent done anything else yet. The water in it is fresh. The boat is back in the water. I can still remove the thruster, but its a hassle. What i was planning was to empty as much of the fluid in it again as much as i can. Then refill the resovior and pump it through the system. But insread of pumping back into the resovoir I would route the return line into a 5 gallon bucket and keep feeding new ATF into it until it looks clear. Does that sound sufficient? Or do i sti) need to break it all down again?
I have also heard parker makes hydralic fluid filters that will absorb up to 8 ounces of water. But i haven't put a lot of time into tracking them down yet. I hope these exist as i could use them to get the last little bit of water out of the system after i do my purging routine.
When u say cheaper oil, what are you referring to? I wa SC figuring i would need two 5 gallon pails of atf (probably a couple hundo each)
Thoughts?

BTW the manufacturer was clueless about what to do. Really.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #237
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Bligh(and Bligh-son) and Frisky last weekend and can attest that she sure looks sweet. Bligh's making some great improvements. He even had his private window washer (Stepmom) in there on Sunday morning cleaning all the windows.
Thanks for the kind remarks!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #238
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bligh, isn't it time to change your avatar?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #239
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Bligh, isn't it time to change your avatar?
Lol. Ill work on it.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #240
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Any help with boat maintenance is appreciated. On rare occasions, my sister helps polish the brightwork.