N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #202
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
... While transiting through 3 Mile Slough, I watched the depth-sounder go from 25 to 20 to 15 and I let off the throttle. It was a pretty steep bank it seemed we were headed for. The Navionics chart I was using said 15-25 ft. Well, the sounder went all the way 10, 5 1 and sure enough we very gently bumped the bottom.
Were you entering the mouth of Threemile Slough off the San Joaquin River just west of the point? Here's a screen grab of my chartplotter with tracks through that area. If this is the place, there's a 3 ft shoal at low tide that is a gotcha. Stay south of the point until established over the hole on the west side of the slough.

At least it's a soft bottom. Like they say about running aground in the delta..."There are those that have run aground and there are those who will run aground." Welcome to the not-so-exclusive club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3MileMouth.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	33088  

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #203
Guru

I hope your injuries are superficial. Maybe you need to fence around that hatch.
Hatches can be a PIA to open and close, I`m sure that`s why we may leave them open knowing we are going back in shortly. I`ve often thought about an auto lifting strut, like on a car hood(we call bonnet). I`ve seen struts on simple f/g hatches, you`d need heavy duty strut(s) to lift a square meter or 2 of framed teak parquet with sound deadening material underneath.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #204
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. My sympathies regarding your accident. I think I have a simple yet elegant solution to your repeated mishaps. It will serve a multipurpose function.
Amazon.com: Rubie's Costume Inflatable Sumo Costume with Battery Operated Fan, One Size: Adult Sized Costumes: Clothing
1) It may not allow you to fit through the doorway thus removing you from peril
2) IF you do happen to make it through the doorway and fall into the open hatch, it should cushion the fall (being inflatable).
3) Life preserver if you happen to fall off the boat trying to get through the door.
4) Incredible "dock cred" especially if worn with: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume...f=cts_ap_4_fbt
5) The best for last....only $25.72!
What do ya think? Possibilities eh?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #205
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. b. My sympathies regarding your accident. I think I have a simple yet elegant solution to your repeated mishaps. It will serve a multipurpose function.
Amazon.com: Rubie's Costume Inflatable Sumo Costume with Battery Operated Fan, One Size: Adult Sized Costumes: Clothing
2) IF you do happen to make it through the doorway and fall into the open hatch, it should cushion the fall (being inflatable).
3) Life preserver if you happen to fall off the boat trying to get through the door.
4) Incredible "dock cred" especially if worn with: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume...f=cts_ap_4_fbt
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks RT!
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #206
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
If I use it as a pfd, do I need running lights?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #207
Guru

New stern thruster

My stern thruster was leaking. Before my accident, I was able to pull off the existing thruster that was letting water into the hydraulic fluid.
I called Dickson Thruster this morning and he hand delivered a new unit to me at my office and took the old one as a core.. Not bad for service! I reinstalled the existing propeller, which he told me is a stainless steel mixing propeller from the food service industry. He told me it's preferred since it has the same thrust when rotating in either direction.

Later this week, I will drain the rest of the fluid out of the hydraulic system and fill it up again with fresh atf.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-22 16.35.38.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	33120  
Old 10-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #208
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Were you entering the mouth of Threemile Slough off the San Joaquin River just west of the point? Here's a screen grab of my chartplotter with tracks through that area. If this is the place, there's a 3 ft shoal at low tide that is a gotcha. Stay south of the point until established over the hole on the west side of the slough.

At least it's a soft bottom. Like they say about running aground in the delta..."There are those that have run aground and there are those who will run aground." Welcome to the not-so-exclusive club.
I have been thinking about your picture for a while. I had to go to youtube to figure out how to take a screenshot in my android, but I figured it out.
Below is the screenshot of the navionics app I am using in the same area you show above. I did notice, after studying it for a while that there is one "3" in there , but no other markings .. Bad on navionics for such a poor chart, bad on me for not cross checking it, although the contour lines lead you to believe its all deep.
I wonder how the new garmin charts on the new garmin device will be compared to these navionics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-05 21.45.56.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	33414  
Old 10-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #209
Guru

Update:
Boat is still in the yard, the new transducer should be installed by now. I have the new stern thruster installed. I have all new hoses for the hydraulic system in the engine room along with a freshly cleaned and painted reservoir tank to install. I was going to install them this weekend, but its scorching in the delta and passed on the job for now, especially as i am still hobbled by my knee. The job will be easier when the boat is in the water.
Tuesday I meet the electrician.
I'm glad I am having a good year at work.

I did install the new lowrance combo unit in the tender last week. It looks and works great although I was a little sloppy with the 5200 on the transom.
Yesterday, we took the tender from Santa Cruz to Capitola and back. We floated for a while among the dolphins. We all had a nice time. Wish I had taken some pictures.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #210
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree, that's very misleading. Here's a screenshot from my NOAA chart app on my tablet. It's different from the first - maybe less cluttered and less detailed - but the "3" stands out more.

EDIT: On second look, it appears that it's my tracks that clutter up the first map. The rest is the same. Makes sense since they are both raster maps from NOAA viewed in different apps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3MileMouth2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	33416  

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #211
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
I have been thinking about your picture for a while. I had to go to youtube to figure out how to take a screenshot in my android, but I figured it out.
Below is the screenshot of the navionics app I am using in the same area you show above. I did notice, after studying it for a while that there is one "3" in there , but no other markings .. Bad on navionics for such a poor chart, bad on me for not cross checking it, although the contour lines lead you to believe its all deep.
I wonder how the new garmin charts on the new garmin device will be compared to these navionics.

Here's what my Garmin Bluechart app shows.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1412553025.680406.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	33417
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #212
Guru

New Updates

Frisky has been in the yard for the last couple of weeks.
New transducer installed.
New mast installed.
New sternthruster installed (by me)
New GPS and Radar installed.- We are installing a new teak cover where the radar is now installed so we will have future access to it.
She is now in the water having a few things buttoned up. I'm hoping to be back in the slip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-12 17.26.08.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	33632   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-11 13.14.39.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	33633   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-28 13.31.46.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	33634   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-12 17.24.50.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	33635  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #213
Guru

My boy and I took the tender out for a 'spin' on Sat and Sunday. The pictures are from Sat. We tried trolling for Stripers, but didnt catch anything. Sunday was really rough. When we got back to the slip, my SH handheld VHF was missing. It's a floating model. I hope someone finds it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-11 17.03.32.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	33636   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-11 15.56.17.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	33637  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #214
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Please let us know how the HD radar performs. I'm debating a simrad 3G.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #215
Guru

Somehow, since I took possession of the boat, one of the seals on the stern thruster failed and let water into the system. Dickson swapped me for a new thruster (for a fee). I vacuumed out all hoses and replace the remaining hoses I hadn't replaced before in the engine room. I also cleaned and repainted the reservoir tank and replaced the filter. I knew there was still some water in the system that would need to be removed, so I filled the system with new fluid and ran it for a while, then emptied the tank again with a suction canister. It was pretty contaminated by water. I partially refilled it again, but I didnt have enough fluid to run it again. I'm using a standard wix hydraulic fluid filter. I have heard that Parker makes a filter that absorbs a certain amount of water. Does anyone know how to cross reference the filter numbers so I can use these filters to get the rest of teh water out of the system? I am thinking I am going to need to swap the fluid out one or two more times regardless. I am hoping the filters can get the remaining bit out.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #216
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
New GPS and Radar installed.
If I read the Garmin GPS antenna manuals correctly, they should be mounted at least 3 feet from the radar and either above or below it. The pics appear to look like you are under 3 feet although they are above the radar. Is that an issue?
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #217
Guru

Unfortunately hyd oil is hygroscopic in nature. It attracts water (as opposed to repelling it like normal oil). The only 'cure' is flush, fill, flush,fill. How much does your whole system take? 3 gallons? A filter won't really help once the oil gets 'whipped' up going through the thruster pump vanes. Replace it a couple times.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #218
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
If I read the Garmin GPS antenna manuals correctly, they should be mounted at least 3 feet from the radar and either above or below it. The pics appear to look like you are under 3 feet although they are above the radar. Is that an issue?
They are just above the radar. I hope its not an issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-10-13 11.34.13.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	33639  
Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #219
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Unfortunately hyd oil is hygroscopic in nature. It attracts water (as opposed to repelling it like normal oil). The only 'cure' is flush, fill, flush,fill. How much does your whole system take? 3 gallons? A filter won't really help once the oil gets 'whipped' up going through the thruster pump vanes. Replace it a couple times.
Im actually using ATF. I don't know if that makes a difference. But the water and the oil do seem to whip together pretty quickly. I could just separate the supply and return oil and only feed fresh oil into the system and catch the spoiled return oil in a reservoir (bucket). It would be a real hassle and of course the oil is not cheap. I'm thinking this may be my only option to fix it 100%.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #220
Guru

It's official. I'm a trawler owner.

Doesn't the fluid run in both directions? One way for port, and the other way for stbd? Make sure you constantly run it one way. Until cleared up or you will be just pushing contaminated fluid back and forth. Have you asked Manuf'r for guidance on flushing? They may have an installed valve/port in the system from the factory just to accomplish this.