Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: It's Occured to Me.........

The boards are a far better place fore a newby to get the "big picture" than the local boat dealer.

The horror stories I get from visiting folks could make a dozen books!

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
It's Occured to Me.........

Good luck with the ocean delivery passage Otis. I hope the weather is kind to you, but you boat looks big enough to handle most likely to be thrown at you. I was hoping to be merely daring enough to venture out of our rather large bay here off Brisbane, and proceed up the outside of the ringing islands and come in at the top. Merely 100 nm at most - a long days run. Sadly, as luck would have it, we have a cyclone off the east coast threatening huge 3-6 metre swells, even tho far enough away for it's winds not to affect us much, but it's making the surfies happy. However, on top of that, they are predicting southerly buster type winds coming up from Tasmania, which is gong to make life interesting for the annual epic Sydney Hobart Yacht race. So when you add that into the mix, we will probably be wise to abandon the plan - something all seaman should of course do if conditions are adverse and one can change plans. Your 900 miler is one where you cannot, so good fortune go with you.

PS.* And yes - we even got an EPIRB too, bit I guess it's good to have even for round the Bay, and maybe one day.....

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 23rd of December 2011 04:51:54 AM

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I will say only this: This forum does have it's moments as we disagree about many of the points Walt points out, but we all respect each other FAR more than other topic-specific forums I frequent (OTDE not withstanding). Generally, we understand that there will always be differences in opinions and that we can indeed, all be right ;-) We are all in this together. We all want to be as smart as we can about decisions we all face and this is, by far, the best place to get the information we need to make the right decision for us. i, for one, have benefited greatly from this forum and the relationships we have here and can't imagine NOT having The Trawler Forum to read. I can't imagine anyone being driven off by our minor disagreements. (assuming the stay out of OTDE)

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Friday 23rd of December 2011 06:12:25 AM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #24
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

When you get "boat, trawler, fever" I think most people will follow through regardless of what they read. I read the Grand Banks forum for years before buying a trawler, there was lots of disussion on problems and problem solving there, as on most owners forums, it didn't deter me.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -

Having described what I feel is the negative aspect of boating forums for newcomers to boating or people contemplating getting into boating, I do feel forums like this have some very positive value. Similar to going to college, these forums teach a person how to learn. While I have never had a specific problem solved by anyone on forums like TF what I have gotten are ideas and suggestions of things I want to find out more about.

A make-specific forum is a different. I have gotten a lot from the GB owners forum because there are participants on that forum who are shipwrights or who who have owned boatyards that specialized in the maintenance, repair, and upgrading of wood and glass GBs as well as a few people who have rebuilt GBs almost literally from the keel up including completely tearing down and rebuilding the FL120 that was in it. Those guys are a wealth of information in the same way that the shipwrights and mechanics we know personally in our local yard and diesel shop are a wealth of information.

But TF can offer valuable guidance as to what direction to go for the information one seeks. I think the newbies or wannabes that have written their basic "what should I get, what should I do" queries to TF have, for the most part, gotten valuable answers, particularly from those people who offer guidance on how to approach the whole boat-acquisition process and define what sort of questions the newbie should be asking and answering themselves to help them determine the best course of action.* To that end, I think TF can play a very helpful role.

For whatever reason, I don't see the other "general" boating forums I have either participated in or looked at working quite as well in this respect as TF does.* T&T comes close but without the abilityt to post photos (which I feel is a very imporant aspect of being able to provide useful information) and with a very user-unfriendly search function, T&T doesn't have the in-depth capabilities of TF.

Of course a forum is no better than its participants.* The administrators of TF do a great job, I think, of allowing a lot of freedom while preventing things from getting out of hand.* People like RickB, Tom (sunchaser), Carl (Delfin), Eric, Walt, Don (Moonstruck), PeterB, Dave Hawkins--- and there are others whose names don't readily come to mind--- have more experience than most of us can ever hope to even approach.* And some of them-- RickB in particular--- are actually actively employed in the marine industry in capacities that expose them on a daily basis to all sorts of boating topics from propulsion to boat systems.

I guess the issue I have with regards to Walt's original question is that newbies and wannabies can be easily overwhelmed by the information that can be fireshosed at them in response to an initial question.* Sort of like a college freshman showing up on Day One and being handed a schedule consisting entirely of post-graduate courses.

It's on the active TF participants, I think, to make sure people expressing an interest in boating are not driven away by too much information and a lot of conflicting "you should do this" advice.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
Doc
Guru

And, I have learned from TF where to find all kinds of information about RV's. I have leaned enough about them in the last month to decide that I want another boat now and maybe, sorta, perhaps, an RV in the future.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
Good luck with the ocean delivery passage Otis. I hope the weather is kind to you, but you boat looks big enough to handle most likely to be thrown at you.*

__________________________________________________ _

Otis

I've enjoyed following your posts from the beginning.**Finding the boat, contemplating the purchase, problem solving the refit,*to planning your*cruise to her new home.* What a wonderful adventure.* I*envy you and the crew. *

Have a great trip*and keep the posts comming.

Larry B*
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Bradenton, Florida
Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras LRC 48'

Thanks Larry and Everyone else that replied. *Now for the reality check of boating. *I just got email from Marina in Boca's (only game in town) and fuel is $4.45 a gal and I have to take on 1100 gallons but I get a nickel off whoohoo!!! *I wonder what fuel cost is in Rio Dulce? *The price of an adventure surely is soaring ! *BOATT (break out another Ten Thousand)
Otisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #29

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390

Like a lot of people on this forum, I became interested in boats long before there was an internet. I bought some cruising guides, local charts and took a Coast Guard course. I made a lot of mistakes along the way (like most people). I would have made a lot fewer if I had access to a forum like this. I think it's great and extremely helpful.

John
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I may be one of the few here that never wanted to have a boat. Being a Baltimoron, most of my friends had boats and all I did with them was work on their boats. Then came my Admiral into my life about 6 yeas ago while living in Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.. We moved to Miami and she says: "Are we going to do the Miami thing or not", (meaning are we going to do the Boat thing or not). I said "No way". Our first boat together was a 24 ft. Bayliner Cabin Cruiser. Not our kind of cruising.

Three years in Berlin gave me a chance to study hull design, the Architects, and follow the market closely. We rented 43 ft. diesel trawlers and cruised through the 400 or so miles of connected lakes, rivers and canals of the old GDR (East Germany). We loved it. The first boat I "accepted" as a practical design was over a million dollars to build. The next year found me at about a half-million, the next year at 250 to 300K, and by the time we were headed back to the US, we were searching the world for one particular boat, and we got it for under 150K. All of this was due to the unbridled opinions and reasoning of forum members with the knowledge and experience gained from owning, cruising and/or living aboard boats. Early fantasies got my ass kicked and my tree chopped down so many times that it finally drove me to sensibility. People who seek solid advice (rather than validation of opinion) will likely be the least deluded, and therefore the most successful boaters. (Do you know of anyone more miserable than a deluded boat owner?) When it comes to learning about boats and systems, a healthy combination of humility and curiosity is sure a lot cheaper than the alternative. I hope the forum keeps right on doing what it does the way it does it. The rare, so-called "spitting contest" is unimportant if it remains rare, and it seems that the monitors here do a quality job of objective impartiality.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

If you zoom out a bit, you need to think about why people are attracted to trawlers. I think (interst in)trawlers define the person. And that particular person is generally not ignorant and is seeking information. To prove my point with a rhetorical question: How many 20 year olds fantasize about trawlers???...I am equating 20 year olds with ignorance if you didn't figure that out! All I am saying is that people looking into trawlers pretty much already "have a clue" and will not be scared off by what they read on here.

To put it a bit more simply and to paraphrase Slocum, we are simply "messing about in boats"......via the internet! *We love boats and boating. *And we want to "hang out" with people who share the passion.

Every single one of you make this forum what it is!!! We simply provide a medium!

PS...Marin, my goal in life now IS TO STALK YOU!!!!!...;-)

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 24th of December 2011 01:57:51 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Willy wrote:

I have alot more knowledge about aircraft, airlines, aircraft manufacturers, pilots, etc.

Who knew that could be gained from a trawler boating forum.
*That's some funny stuff right there!!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Baker wrote:Willy wrote:

I have alot more knowledge about aircraft, airlines, aircraft manufacturers, pilots, etc.

Who knew that could be gained from a trawler boating forum.
*That's some funny stuff right there!!!!

*Boating is the pasture where pilots go at the end of their careers when they're put out to stud.* Similar skillset, new area to learn, trawler speeds he can keep up with, still gets to be called "Captain" and still Master and Commander of his universe.* (apologies to Carquinez Coot. :worship: )

-- Edited by FlyWright on Saturday 24th of December 2011 03:09:38 PM
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #34
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Quote:
Baker wrote:

To put it a bit more simply and to paraphrase Slocum, we are simply "messing about in boats"......via the internet! *We love boats and boating. *And we want to "hang out" with people who share the passion.

*I think it's highly presumptuous of you to assume that any of us would want to "hang out"* with you anywhere other than on these pages.* I mean c'mon, where's the common ground; boating, the water, trawlers?* What could we possibly have to talk about? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were one of those sailboat weirdo's. Either that or you're still compensating for your "single engine/manhood" thing.*I'll bet you even use a bow thruster (on your boat).*

And you think that by quoting famous aviators that people are going to think you're smart? Really. *So don't go trying to promote that "friendship" stuff around here.*

Anyway, merry christmas*.***
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
KJ wrote:Baker wrote:

*I think it's highly presumptuous of you to assume that any of us would want to "hang out"* with you anywhere other than on these pages.* I mean c'mon, where's the common ground; boating, the water, trawlers?* What could we possibly have to talk about? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were one of those sailboat weirdo's. Either that or you're still compensating for your "single engine/manhood" thing.*I'll bet you even use a bow thruster (on your boat).*

And you think that by quoting famous aviators that people are going to think you're smart? Really. *So don't go trying to promote that "friendship" stuff around here.*

Anyway, merry christmas*.***

Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Baker wrote:

*Cool!* My first stalker.

If you want to get together in a Boeing/aviation context sometime that would be great.* I'll give you a private tour of the plant, which is world's better than the "look at it for 15 minutes from the balcony" public tour.

But if you want to get together and talk boats, I'm busy or have a headache.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

There is a plethora of knowledge that is willingly shared by members of this forum. *The beauty is that there are all types of cruiserrs and boaters here. Diifferent style cruising and different style boats. *We have long distance ocean passage cruisers like LarryM *Delphin, Chuck on Beach House,and Artic Traveler. *We have mechanical experts and anchor testers like Eric. *Jeff from Active Captain just checked in. *What resources we have.

We will be learning more about the River Dulce in Guatamala from Belize Bill. Otis Guy is *preparing to leave Panama on a 600 mile passage maiden voyage on a boat that is new to him. *What an adventure that is. *I think we all learn, or as Marin says know what to look up.

There is a wide range of experience in all facets of life here. *Different styles and different views make it interesting. *It hard to remember or name all, but most everyone has added something to the site.

Lurkers are welcome to come on in. *Many of the newcomers already have a world of boating expierence. *Their opinion is worth as much as anyones'. *So come on in. *We would like to get to know you * Like John said, 20 year olds are not the target market for trawler manufacturers or brokers. *Most trawler or big cruiser buyers are already experienced boaters.

Besides all that we can sort of be boating when we are not boating. *Now, that's cool!
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
Baker wrote:
If you zoom out a bit, you need to think about why people are attracted to trawlers. I think (interst in)trawlers define the person. And that particular person is generally not ignorant and is seeking information. To prove my point with a rhetorical question: How many 20 year olds fantasize about trawlers???...I am equating 20 year olds with ignorance if you didn't figure that out! All I am saying is that people looking into trawlers pretty much already "have a clue" and will not be scared off by what they read on here.

**I never thought of that Bake, but listening to it makes me feel a lot better about myself. *Thanks. *At least if I'm doing dumb things to my boat, I was smart about my choice of what to do dumb things to.

FlyWright wrote:

Boating is the pasture where pilots go at the end of their careers when they're put out to stud.* Similar skillset, new area to learn, trawler speeds he can keep up with, still gets to be called "Captain" and still Master and Commander of his universe.* (apologies to Carquinez Coot.**)*

Hey, you know, I wondered about that myself. *I bought my Krogen Manatee from an A-10 Warthog pilot. *I figured anyone in love with a plane designed around an Gattling Gun must have the right stuff, boat included.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #39
FF
Guru

"Boating is the pasture where pilots go at the end of their careers when they're put out to stud."

Most pilots I have known were out to stud the day the obtained their "leg Spreaders".

Many of the young fellows discover SAILING takes far more skill , and mastery than simply changing switch positions on the aluminum overcast.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 26th of December 2011 05:38:53 AM
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
*Boating is the pasture where pilots go at the end of their careers when they're put out to stud.* Similar skillset, new area to learn, trawler speeds he can keep up with, still gets to be called "Captain" and still Master and Commander of his universe.* (apologies to Carquinez Coot. :worship: )
*Al, no apology required. *I consider us all masters and commanders.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote