It's nice when you can keep your boat at the dock behind your house....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boathealer

Guru
Vessel Name
--
Vessel Make
Between boats
Saw coming up the St. John's today to Green Cove. 125ft according to AIS.
:eek::eek:

Attachments

• 20191126_085508 (Large).jpg
    20191126_085508 (Large).jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 302
That's the owners tender.

We keep our boat behind our house, it isn’t quite as big though...

I’d never get away from continuous boat maintenance and repairs.

Quite a sled. A beautiful setting, too, although it doesn't look much like any stretch of SJR around Green Cove that I am familiar with.

That's a beautiful photo, too. If I were the owner, I'd like to have a copy!

Quite a sled. A beautiful setting, too, although it doesn't look much like any stretch of SJR around Green Cove that I am familiar with.

That's a beautiful photo, too. If I were the owner, I'd like to have a copy!

Might have been closer to Palatka than Green Cove proper. Somewhere between the two --- on the east side.

Yeah, the river was pure glass nearly all day. Makes for nice pictures!

Attachments

• P1010519 (Large).jpg
    P1010519 (Large).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Nah, that's just the dock the house owner rents out so he can afford the waterfront property.

"That's the owners tender".

Cant wait to see iget hoisted aboard !

Pardon digression, but since you're there...

I see that the Mandarin Holiday Marina posts good diesel prices, especially compared to many in the area. OK place? Decent fuel?

-Chris

I see that the Mandarin Holiday Marina posts good diesel prices, especially compared to many in the area. OK place? Decent fuel?

-Chris

Just took on about 150 gallons there yesterday. A bit dicey getting in to the fuel dock. 4-5ft places everywhere on the way in. Go slow. Waiting for the extra foot at St Johns high tide would have helped.

$2.44/gallon. Dockmaster reports high turnover due to low price and had just taken on a new delivery on 11/26.

We keep ours behind the house too!

Just took this! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20191128_105642238-1638x1229.jpg
    IMG_20191128_105642238-1638x1229.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 131
Just took on about 150 gallons there yesterday. A bit dicey getting in to the fuel dock. 4-5ft places everywhere on the way in. Go slow. Waiting for the extra foot at St Johns high tide would have helped.

$2.44/gallon. Dockmaster reports high turnover due to low price and had just taken on a new delivery on 11/26.

Thanks! If we don't get any more before we get there, we might be able to take on 300 gallons or so... which seems enough to eventually make a short out of the way trip worthwhile.

-Chris

-Chris

I have gotten fuel there...no problems. Good price. I more often get it at Doctor's Lake....but Mandarin is about .50 cents/gallon LESS! Great price.

Does anyone else say “Yes!” to the beautiful dock and “No!” to that much (always needing use and tending) boat?

Thanks! If we don't get any more before we get there, we might be able to take on 300 gallons or so... which seems enough to eventually make a short out of the way trip worthwhile.

I have gotten fuel there...no problems. Good price. I more often get it at Doctor's Lake....but Mandarin is about .50 cents/gallon LESS! Great price.

Brief follow-up, a boat buddy got about 140 gallons there yesterday, $2.44/gal, no surcharge for credit card... and this while the price at Lamb's is $3.25/gal. The Mandarin dockmaster even let us leave the boat at the fuel dock while we had lunch at Julington Creek Fish Camp, just behind the marina.

Docks not in great shape, driving into the Travelift well or toward the mud bank just next to it both looked a little shakey... but it worked fine.

And lunch was really very good!

-Chris

Brief follow-up, a boat buddy got about 140 gallons there yesterday, $2.44/gal, no surcharge for credit card... and this while the price at Lamb's is $3.25/gal. The Mandarin dockmaster even let us leave the boat at the fuel dock while we had lunch at Julington Creek Fish Camp, just behind the marina.

Docks not in great shape, driving into the Travelift well or toward the mud bank just next to it both looked a little shakey... but it worked fine.

And lunch was really very good!

-Chris

I went down there last last spring or fall after spending a few days at Ortega Landing. There are a few spots coming in that might be a little shallow at low tide. Docking was a little interesting with the bow up in the weeds, but manageable. Fuel was good, price was the best around, and they happily take a credit card. Probably the highlight of the event was tattoo girl. Truly a sight to behold. I think she's only there on the weekends. Simple answer is that I would fuel there again.

If you're looking for another cheap fuel stop on the AICW (where you can hear the banjo in the distance) try Two Way Fish Camp off the Altamaha River. Generally the cheapest in Georgia; sometimes cheaper than Mandarin.

Ted

I prefer keeping my boat at the marina. It’s about 15 minutes away and feels like a mini vacation when I stay onboard for a few days.

Several times I have thought about buying a home with a dock and maybe renting out the home. Came to the conclusion I prefer security when I'm not around. Both my winter and summer marinas are gated and have night watchman that walk the docks. I guess if my home / marina were behind a water lock, it might be different. I like someone patrolling for water bound thieves when I'm not on the boat.

Ted

Wifey B: We live on the water but only keep boats at home when using them, so for a day or two plus perhaps the night before. Never when we're not home. Part of it is our dock is a bit exposed to traffic, but it's also we just prefer the safely away in their covered slips. :)

Docking was a little interesting with the bow up in the weeds, but manageable. Fuel was good, price was the best around, and they happily take a credit card. Probably the highlight of the event was tattoo girl. Truly a sight to behold. I think she's only there on the weekends.

Yeah, almost beaching the bow seemed a bit puckery...

Must have been her day off, but maybe she'll be on duty when we take our own boat over there sometime...

Good excuse for a decent meal at the Fish Camp, too... assuming a spot to leave the boat for a bit. Aside from the two fueling slips, it didn't look like they've got any other options for bigger boats...

-Chris

I'll have to try lunch at the fish camp next time.

The restuarant at Two Way Fish Camp on the Altamaha river is also supposed to be very good.

Ted

Caloosahatchee

We took a ride up the Caloosahatchee river to Labelle and took a picture of this little boat behind someone's house just east of the Franklin locks.

Attachments

• 20191130_132934.jpg
    20191130_132934.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 35
We took a ride up the Caloosahatchee river to Labelle and took a picture of this little boat behind someone's house just east of the Franklin locks.
Saw it on my way to Fort Myers in November. It's a commercial cruise or gambling boat. The gambling boats need to get offshore out of state waters to gamble.

Ted

Thank you, I am about 23’ above the mht for flood purposes

Back
Top Bottom