Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Guru

It's gettin' scary...

Our dock has ten 50 'foot slips on one side and 10 40' foot slips on the other side. We always jokingly refer to it as the "Dock of the Dead" as most of the boats are "slip-huggers" and never move or have anyone aboard. In the past four months 5 of the skippers have gone to that great "marina in the sky." It's gettin' downright spooky.

ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
In LaConner Wa things were slow during the recession. I heard when there were 20 boats left in one major section of the marina (08 I think) they lowered the rates so don't be too scared ... there's usually a good side to all evil.

Me being scared the rates will go back up soon may be posponed for some considerable time by the effects of the sequester.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
It amazes me as I walk our Docks. There is a boat with a 2003 registration sticker and a bunch with 2007. Probably half of the boats on my dock have never moved since I bought my boat. Most of them show it but a few are in magnificent shape including a Nor'Sea 27.

My buddy in the harbor office tells a story of a guy who comes in to pay his annual slip fee and asks for a pair of binoculars to take a look at his boat. Walks out the door and says see you next year.

In Monterey there is an 18 year waiting list for anything above 30' so perhaps that explains why people hang onto their boats.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have had a few "wood" boats sink at our marina. They actually had plants growing out of them. On a 34' Fairliner the hull split right down the middle.....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
At my marina last season, many people didn't even put their boat back in the water in the Spring. I think the economy is starting to wear people down.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
In February our office sold some boats, a 84' Westbay Sonship, an 80' Burger, an 80' Hatteras, a 58' Viking, a 56' Sunseeker and a 55' Novatec. The stock market is fliritng with record highs, boat sales are improving.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Guru

At the yacht club, we had an old 60' wooden sportfisher that had not moved in years. The club leaned on the owners to get rid of it but no one wanted it, even for free. Last year, the couple that owned the boat died, and the estate was forced to move it to a public marina. As for the down economy's effect on boating: here in San Diego we have slips beggin' for boats to fill them. Even our yacht club has empty slips.
ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Most of the people that can afford a big boat are up in age and/or retired. Since most of us have boated for many years, have other interests, it not worth the energy, money and time to take the big boat out. Besides most of the time the big boat was the mother boat to carry/tow all the stuff to another location to be tied up. As we get older boating becomes exhausting and work. It also tougher to find other people to even come as they have their own busy lives/interest.

Most of the major marinas in the Puget Sound require yearly proof of insurance and current tabs/registration even if the boat does not leave the dock. The law in the State of Washington is any boat moored in the water is required to have a current registration weather its used out not. The police also come around the and check. So people are starting to dry store their boat.

Everett has a 20+% vacancy. for the last 3 years, and the dry/land storage has doubled during that time. Besides land/dry storage is cheaper and not as hard on the boat as being moored in the water. when we move off the Eagle, I might dry/land storage during 9 rainy cold month of the year, which we had SOUTH TO WARMER CLIMATE.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Guru

Everett has the 20% vacancy because their rates are high. I think they are high to help pay for all the stupid development that has nothing to to w boating. They're up to their ears building infrastructure for the apartment buildings they have planned. I could be wrong but that's the way I SE it.

Don't know why Bellingham is high. And they have (perhaps had) a waiting list. If I quit boating it will be because of the high rates.

Of course at my age just about everything seems high.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Somewhere on the drive between Seattle and the turnoff to La Conner/Anacortes there is a large field/storage lot that has many, many boats on the hard. Every shape and size, and some look like they have sat there for years, largely untouched. Anyone know that that place is about?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Somewhere on the drive between Seattle and the turnoff to La Conner/Anacortes there is a large field/storage lot that has many, many boats on the hard. Every shape and size, and some look like they have sat there for years, largely untouched. Anyone know that that place is about?
Every time I drive by, I want to stop and 'root around', but never have.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
Every time I drive by, I want to stop and 'root around', but never have.
That probable is Dagmars in Everett! Largest dry/dirt storage around. Several miles up the Snohimish river from Everett Marina.

Everett rate is high compared to what? Certainly not Seattle! What is LaConners rate?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
That is not a field full of boats, that is Dagmar's Marina. It's a dry storage marina and it's been there for decades. We know several very active boaters who keep their boats at Dagmar's. According to them there is the same boater activity there as there is in most other marinas. The back of the yard is near the freeway which is why the boats you see there from I-5 tend to never leave their spaces. The more active boats are kept near the river.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Don't know why Bellingham is high. And they have (perhaps had) a waiting list. If I quit boating it will be because of the high rates.

Last I heard Bellingham's Squalicum Marina has a four or five year waiting list for slips in the 40-45 foot range. Our dock was replaced last year and re- opened to boats at the end of the summer. Every slip is now full. The very long G-dock was also replaced. Half of it had been empty for two or three years due to severe storm damage. Now that the entire dock is new, it is rapidly filling up. It has 35' slips on one side and 50' slips on the other.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
That reminds me of an old joke:

A guy walks in to a peanut shop and asks "how much are your cashews?
The proprietor answers, $1.49 a pound.

Nah, I don't think I should continue........

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Guru

An issue on Lakes Michigan and Huron is the record low water level. Combine that with fuel prices and the economy and many marinas don't get beyond half occupancy for most of the season. And in their infinite wisdom, the state of Michigan raised slip rates 20% at municipal marinas to attract more customers. Private facilities followed suit. What the....???

At the end of last summer, older fixed docks were 6-7 feet off the water, so sailboaters and power boaters with low freeboard had to crawl/climb up onto the docks. Many slips are too shallow for deeper draft boats, and some harbors silted in...with no money for dredging. Looper traffic gets more and more slim. Towns are beginning to eye the waterfront occupied by marinas for other uses.

There's some pressure coming to bear over in the Detroit area for the Corps to choke down the outlet into Erie where years of dredging and widening has opened the flood gates. That combined with scarce precip, evaporation during unusually hot summers, and municipalities sucking water out of the lakes at unprecidented rates (billions of gallons) is disconcerting. But as mentioned previously, there's not much trouble getting a transient slip...for now.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
An issue on Lakes Michigan and Huron is the record low water level....That combined with scarce precip, evaporation during unusually hot summers, and municipalities sucking water out of the lakes at unprecidented rates (billions of gallons) is disconcerting. But as mentioned previously, there's not much trouble getting a transient slip...for now.
Take heart. 5 years back "climatologists" said dams in Australia would never refill, drought was permanent, we would starve with reduced farm production. A massive desal plant that (contractually) can`t be turned off was built in Sydney.
Now the dams are so full we want to extend the height of Sydney`s major dam wall to mitigate downstream floods. Been raining 1 week+, and that`s not unusual. There is repeated flooding up and down the east coast. Insurance premiums are skyrocketing because of floods.The expensive desal water is wasted.
And the "climatologists" are nowhere to be seen.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
We have had a few "wood" boats sink at our marina. They actually had plants growing out of them.
That is the funniest thing i've ever read. I'll have to check mine in the morning
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #19

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Just pulled into Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes today. There are tons of empty spaces in the marina and the dry storage yards are full of boats. So Cap Sante sent out a email a few days ago announcing they are taking applications for live aboard's. I heard a rumor that LaConner was also allowing live aboard's again after kicking them all out a few years ago.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
Guru

Re LaConnor's rates our 30' covered slip ran us $253 a month. We checked Oak Harbor, Bellingham, Everett and Anacortes. All considerably higher.

I wonder what the rates are at Dagmars?

We are now out of the water at Latitude Marine just a mile south of LaConner for $160 mo.

Russell,
Sorry to hear about the liveaboards.