Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric-- The monthly slip fee for a 30' slip in Squalicum Marina in Bellingham is $207.60 which is $6.92 per foot. Whether they have a 30' slip available is another matter.

Bellingham does not offer covered moorage, however. There are boathouses in the marina but they are all privately owned.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Wow this is so interesting to read. My marina has only a few empty slips and most all boats are in regular use. We have a few live aboards though technically they aren't allowed. Our next door neighbor is one and they say the marina owner looks the other way because they have a permanent address elsewhere. Maybe this marina has more boats in use bc it is somewhat expensive for the area? I think 50' slips on the "new" side with concrete docks (covered slips) and valet pump out are regularly $660 a month. We have a discounted slip because we are the first slip on the finger with a sharp turn to get in and we are in the river current where we don't like to come and go during the ebb. It works for us though and we love our marina.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Re LaConnor's rates our 30' covered slip ran us $253 a month..
That's on par with rates for same here in the California Delta Eric.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
It works for us though and we love our marina.
We are still considering a move to your marina later this year. The social life there seems second to none.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Since we are mostly an "active seniors" community (translation: retired) we have had a number of slips put up for sale due to owners heading to that marina in the sky.
This photo was taken about five years ago, in our marina, after an afternoon of "round the buoys" sailing. . Three of the five guys in the photo are gone, their boats sold and gone, a fourth has sold his boat, and I'm the only one that still has a boat slip, and it's a trawler, not a sailboat. Life goes on...
Attached Thumbnails
img173MA27496228-0131.jpg  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Eric-- The monthly slip fee for a 30' slip in Squalicum Marina in Bellingham is $207.60 which is $6.92 per foot. .
You guys will get no sympathy from this quarter. We do, however, have slips available.
Attached Thumbnails
marina.jpg   rates.png  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Marin is right in that there is a long wait for any slip more tha 30' at Squalicum Harbor with the exception of some 33' slips on the new G dock. But those slips are a LONG ways from the gate and are exposed to the prevailing weather. It surprises me that there are slips available at Anacortes and La Conner.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Is that Shelter Bay Walt? Thank's for posting those awful rates. Mine don't seem so bad now.

I used to walk the docks there in 1962. Had a sailboat in Mission Bay. Lots of fun sailing in the bay and we'd go out on occasion. Was a plywood 16' sloop.

Scout have you been to LaConner? Lots of covered moorage available. I want to stay covered for at least a year to do lots of maintenance like replace windows and again redo the cap rail ect.

Marin if you were at LaConner you could leave your brightwork open all the time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I do not know how prevalent "ownership" plans are in other marinas, but we "buy" a 99 year lease, typically for $500 - $800/foot; the lease is actually recorded with the county. We then pay an annual maintenance fee (full-time dockmasters, electricity, insurance) of about $750 for a 34' slip. If you assign a 10% "opportunity cost" to the slip investment, I figure my monthly cost, all in, is about $200/month.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Is that Shelter Bay Walt?
Eric: I think you are thinking of Shelter Island. No, my boat is on Harbor Island, closer to the city and closest to escaping the 5 mph zones at all San Diego marinas.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
The marinas in our area (Tri Cities, WA) are full and most have a waiting list. There aren't any dry stack or dry storage areas around here so if you don't keep your boat in the water you keep it on a trailer at home.

Our marina is only 5 years old and is a nice facility. I pay $225 a month for a 60'x20' slip that is covered and that price includes water. We have 50A and 30A power and there's a building on shore with showers and rest rooms.

Like most marinas, the majority of boats don't ever leave the dock. We go out a lot (165 hours last year) and there are a few boats that go out 3-4 times a summer, but many don't ever leave the slip.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Our mooring costs us $150/yr plus $60 for a mandatory annual inspection. But, for access to the water, we belong to the local, very low key, Yacht club. That costs us $600/year plus $150/yr dinghy dock fee. Free water, parking, garbage hopper and stewards to help with the constant schlepping of stuff. $960/yr total.

On the other hand, our boating season is only 5 +/- months long.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
David,
Reminds me of Thorne Bay w $570 a year for a 37' slip. BOY do I miss that!

By the way that fish boat owner next to us removed the fly bridge and says he has less effect from windage. I think he removed it because he thought it made his fish boat look too much like a trawler yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71538 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
There are so many openings in the Delta and Bay marinas that I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad to take advantage of the seasonal changes in fishing and cruising opportunities. Napa River sturgeon, Angel Island halibut, Pittsburg/Antioch/Rio Vista striped bass, California Delta summer cruising, Sacramento salmon, even Bodega Bay crabbing...all within reach now in retirement.

As an added bonus, many of the marinas are now offering slips at prices below my current $420 per month for a covered 40' slip. So not only would I save fuel and time while exploring new waters, I'd also save slip money.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:

Marin if you were at LaConner you could leave your brightwork open all the time.
Our boat won't fit in La Conner's sheds. Also we use the boat year round as a weekend getaway cabin even if we don't go out. Not much fun staying on a boat inside a shed.

La Conner is too far away from the places we like to go so it was never an option when we first started looking for a marina in 1998.

But the main reason La Conner is not an option for us is that our boat refuses to go south of Anacortes. If we try both engines quit and won't restart until we can get the bow headed north again. We think it's because if we try to go south of Anacortes the boat thinks we're going to return it to San Francisco Bay so it digs in its heels and stops.

You're right about the brightwork, though.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
There are so many openings in the Delta and Bay marinas that I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad to take advantage of the seasonal changes in fishing and cruising opportunities.
I think that's a real advantage to boating in the Delta. If I was in an environment similar to the Delta, I'd be in hog heaven. Covered slip and fresh water to boot!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #37
FF
Guru

A mooring on the CT river ,5 min from our house, 20 miles from LI Sound , $100 a month .

Closer to the Sound costs a bit more , drive the car? drive the boat?

We chose close to home as the boat is great to BE ON , even when not underway.

Cruising a couple of weeks is not a hassle with an extra 20 miles to get away.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I just organized a 10m (33ft) berth @ $220/month in Glenelg, South Australia; 15 minutes from home. Includes power, water, showers & parking. Nicely protected with no tidal changes due to a lock isolating the bay. Marina residents receive a remote control to operate the lock, giving access 24/7.
Prices have dropped due to a couple new marinas flooding the market recently.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Marina residents receive a remote control to operate the lock, giving access 24/7.
Now that is something I never heard of! Pretty damn neat!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm seriously looking at becoming a marina nomad .
I like that. It would change our homeless boat people status.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote