Island Packet SP Cruiser ditched at sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the tone of the video it did not strike me that they understood the mistakes being made along the way at the time. It felt more like "check out our crazy adventure dude!" Kind of video.

:lol:

Wether they intended to share a mistake or were boasting about the adventure matters not to me, it's all about the learning man :socool:

The boat was being delivered to the Gulf coast. I read that in an article about the incident. The route from the Chesapeake to Florida is much faster if done offshore running 24/7. But that assumes decent weather. The run around Cape Hatteras from October to late April is subject to significant risk of severe conditions. Why risk it?

Actually the moral is only half be a fair weather cruiser. The other half is train as if not. Pick a small wind day, cut your engine and tell your crew you are unconscious and they must save the ship. Throw a life preserver any old time and call man overboard. Heave to and then show them again and again how to. Don't starve your diesel but act as if and have them walk through every step they would take while the deck is pitching. Don't open a sea cock but have them deploy the hand pumps and begin. Deploy the sea anchor in the middle of a moonless night and you've cut the breakers. Your pax and crew will start to have fun with all of it, build their confidence which is important when you start barking orders for real, and most of all they will trust and follow you. Dollars to donuts this crew went outside to save time because inside may be shorter but it's slow and if you don't know it you can get out of the channel easy especially if you are trying to run nights. Outside you can run. Outside the banks you can run straight to hell. How they got there without knowing what was coming and without knowing how to use their sail rig is a question for the CG. Personally, I would have taken their license until they proved it was not master's error. Finally, as for attending King's Point or any academy, that does not make you a good captain, it only gives you a ticket. You see the same in pilots, one pilot over Buffalo loses air speed and pulls up causing a pancake dive that kills all. Another takes a bird strike and glides his flying rock to a smooth landing in the Hudson, all live. The difference, taking time to train and over train and then train some more and then avoiding all of it whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom