Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #81
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Regardless, Cardude's concern that he might find himself in the same situation is possible, but with any pre-planning and reasonable wisdom applied, unlikely. Even more, if I ever saw a production trawler built to take the punishment of the sea, it's the Island Packet. Very low profile, good design, engineered balast, great hardware & rigging, solid construction all around. If I got caught out there in a Cape Hatteras event, it would be one of the few boats I'd prefer. And if you're smart enough to not get caught in that crazy, amidships hot-tub, I think you'd be just fine.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #82
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post

I have left Chesapeake Bay twice, where they did going NORTH, there is almost NO since in going south from there. In fact, their compass showed ESE.
What? If you want to get to NC, SC, GA, or FL there is....unless you're going to circumnavigate vertically over the North Pole.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What? If you want to get to NC, SC, GA, or FL there is....unless you're going to circumnavigate vertically over the North Pole.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 AM   #84
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Sorry. A few words were left out.

I meant going north it makes sense to head outside. But to go south, one saves nothing.

So my question is, if they were heading Ese where were they going?

Also, didn't anyone notice that in the video, they never mention their destination?
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:

I meant going north it makes sense to head outside. But to go south, one saves nothing.

So my question is, if they were heading Ese where were they going?

Also, didn't anyone notice that in the video, they never mention their destination?
I didn't see it mentioned either. We do know at least as far as Beaufort or so it would appear. But it probably was much further. I'd imagine a delivery like that making it at least to Florida if not the Bahamas or Caribbean.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #86
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
.... but the skipper put himself out there with the video.. it is great that others get to learn from his mistakes.

HOLLYWOOD
I agree, my mistakes in life are many and I'm always willing to share em...even to my embarrassment.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #87
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
From the tone of the video it did not strike me that they understood the mistakes being made along the way at the time. It felt more like "check out our crazy adventure dude!" Kind of video.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #88
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:

You do if you're going to run nonstop.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
From the tone of the video it did not strike me that they understood the mistakes being made along the way at the time. It felt more like "check out our crazy adventure dude!" Kind of video.
It sure seemed to have more of a "show off" tone than a "mea culpa" tone.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #90
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Wxx3: we've made the hop nonstop from Norfolk to Charleston around the outside. It is faster than going in the ICW, and if the weather window and routing is good, it's also more relaxing as you have plenty of depth and sea room.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #91
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post

Wether they intended to share a mistake or were boasting about the adventure matters not to me, it's all about the learning man
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #92

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
The boat was being delivered to the Gulf coast. I read that in an article about the incident. The route from the Chesapeake to Florida is much faster if done offshore running 24/7. But that assumes decent weather. The run around Cape Hatteras from October to late April is subject to significant risk of severe conditions. Why risk it?
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:19 AM   #93

City: Gig Harbor
Actually the moral is only half be a fair weather cruiser. The other half is train as if not. Pick a small wind day, cut your engine and tell your crew you are unconscious and they must save the ship. Throw a life preserver any old time and call man overboard. Heave to and then show them again and again how to. Don't starve your diesel but act as if and have them walk through every step they would take while the deck is pitching. Don't open a sea cock but have them deploy the hand pumps and begin. Deploy the sea anchor in the middle of a moonless night and you've cut the breakers. Your pax and crew will start to have fun with all of it, build their confidence which is important when you start barking orders for real, and most of all they will trust and follow you. Dollars to donuts this crew went outside to save time because inside may be shorter but it's slow and if you don't know it you can get out of the channel easy especially if you are trying to run nights. Outside you can run. Outside the banks you can run straight to hell. How they got there without knowing what was coming and without knowing how to use their sail rig is a question for the CG. Personally, I would have taken their license until they proved it was not master's error. Finally, as for attending King's Point or any academy, that does not make you a good captain, it only gives you a ticket. You see the same in pilots, one pilot over Buffalo loses air speed and pulls up causing a pancake dive that kills all. Another takes a bird strike and glides his flying rock to a smooth landing in the Hudson, all live. The difference, taking time to train and over train and then train some more and then avoiding all of it whenever possible.

klemkaho is offline   Reply With Quote