Island Gyspy 210 hp / 315 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We looked at an IG 44 with two 550hp engines and rejected it for more reasons than the excessive hp. We traveled from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island on a NC ferry; this sizable 100' steel car ferry has a couple 800 hp Cats.

DH, search of IG44s for sale shows:Cummins 315hp,Cats 365,Lehmans 120,and Cats 3208, output ns. 500hp is way outside the norm.
Clearly the commissioning owner of the 315hp IG32 had no idea how much hp the boat could use. Except maybe the day of a bushfire on/near Pittwater when boats left in a hurry in (I think) an ember shower attack.

FF wrote;
"The boat with 3-1 will have less drag at most slow cruise speeds as it will have less surface area (at same weight) as a 4-1 boat."

Interesting. Never thought the lower surface area of a low aspect ratio 3-1 hull
Would have less drag at low speeds.
A high aspect ratio boat hull would overcome the very high wavemaking resistance of low aspect ratio hulls. Of course w a light enough boat it would. But trawlers are seldom light. And at about one knot below hull speed most trawlers start to go bow high and any angle of attack increase will up the wave making resistance bigly. Could'nt resist.

I'd put my money on the high aspect ratio hull.

Last edited:
Eric, some IG36s had twin 200hp Volvos,I think one has twin 250s, and trim tabs. A 32 had twin 200s. What a waste of hp.
The tendency for bow rise is combated on my boat with a bow water tank and a 2inch tapering wedge extending about 2 feet fwd from the transom. Do they make a difference, no idea, nothing to compare.

Good point re: the L:B ratio. The 34 has a 12.4 ft beam.

Here are a couple shots of FW at WOT 10 Kts. I see the hull more as a slicer than a puncher.

img_522414_0_3f42eb83f4fad6a9b494638d62a92fc1.jpg

img_522414_1_4ac42cac4bfd6cf3493c49cd42b6e6d3.jpg

No slicer this ..... It's smashing the water.

BruceK, the IG 44 we saw with the 1100 hp was in RI, USA last December. The Dr who was selling her through his dealer/broker wanted to get home from Block Island to Warwick in PDQ mode, if his hospital called. The other IG 44 we saw had a mere 750 hp, or so, in CT.

I gotta' say, Flywright is lovely!

smitty477;521127 Many years back we had a 1978 34 as well with the 165 Perkins in it. We did not have it too long but it made us aware of all the 34's around the sound. I think we may have seen your boat on the Northport dock a number of years back. We get to Mystic often just about our favorite destination.[/QUOTE said:
Must have been someone else. I never had the Mainship at Northport.

Back
Top Bottom