Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Not to belabor this, and I suspect that competent yards in hurricane territory all do this as a matter of course, but if a yard tells you that chaining the stand pairs isn't necessary, they're wrong. A member of the Grand Banks Owners forum had his wood GB hauled and blocked for the winter in the Great Lakes area. The stands were not chained. A winter storm got the boat to moving a bit on the stands. The stands supporting the forward half of the boat began to "walk" and when they got far enough out the boat's motion became such that it fell over onto its side. There was so much damage the insurance company declared it a total loss.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I'd ask for (and pay for) eight if you can. Six seems too few for a 40'.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Since the hurricane cone includes Mississippi we are watching this with interest. Update, the Biloxi marina seems to not plan on cutting lines and pushing us away from the dock I am told. We were planning to head back to Madisonville' but new plan has been to red label/ Saturday 5 new docklines in and be ready to storm prep Sunday.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
I'd ask for (and pay for) eight if you can. Six seems too few for a 40'.
6 is enough normally for any boat that sits primarily on its keel....where I am in Jersey they survive 75 kot plus Nor'easter winds with 3 sets. The keel is where yards often scrimp...I've heard you should have one every 10 feet or so....especially if not on good concrete.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
Guru

Looks like we're catching a little bit of a break with Isaac's path. Sunday morn I'll be "spiderwebbing" TIME well wasted in the canal behind the house. My major concern is with the Island Gypsy that is for sale on this site's classifieds is 3 houses in from me. I don't think the owner's are anywhere near and I don't know if they are going to have anyone taking care of it as far as storm prep.
Thankfully I've just finished rebedding all the portholes.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
[crazy response to Marin Deleted]
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pensacola
My boat has all the gear hauled below and I am up at 0930 for haulout after pumpout (in case the sh&@ hits the fan, better to be with less sh&@!). I will remove all canvas. Looks like 6 stands is all I get. LOTS of boats on this haul out and the Marina ordered ALL boats to vacate so they can pull the floating docks. This Marina learned its lesson in Ivan. Will photo post. Good luck Floridians..
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We just received this in an email from our insurance company. It does seem like good idea.

Hurricane Preparation:
If a Hurricane Watch or Warning is issued for your area by the
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), we will pay
50% of the cost up to a maximum of $1,000 for having your boat
moved by a professional, or for a professional haulout, or for the
professional execution of a hurricane plan. In addition to professional
moving or a professional haulout, covered expenses include, but
are not limited to, haulout, blocking, lashing to in-ground anchors,

powerwashing and relaunch.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Nice. I opted for a much lower premium, but no extra stuff like that. TBH, even in NC, the math didn't work out for the higher premiums versus how often, on average, we would need to haul for a storm(s). So far, we have hauled once in 3 years for Irene. Even if I have to haul 3 times this year, I am still on the favorable side of the cash flow.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Guru

well we just put up the shutters (what a pita,I'm getting rollups or accordians when I win the lottery). Boat is spun around to face the wind, patio crap brought in or tossed in pool, yard crap, trash cans brought in or secured. Tomorrow morn we'll do the final tieing of the boat, put the dinghy in the garage, and await the fury.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #31
Guru

City: Pensacola
Twiisted, your pylons look tall enough to handle any surge.. Just tend them as the storm passes.

We are all hauled out and pressure washed. I got 8 stands. Took 1 hour to load me in the slings and haul me to the hill and then block the Blue Heron. I took the opportunity to pressure wash and noticed that once again my bottom paint failure from the crappy job the sellers yard did has cost more time and money.. I went ahead and put a gallon of paint on the bottom to cover the areas that are flaking off.. (keep in mind this bottom "job" is only 3 months old.. anyways blocks applied and boat on the hard. Canvas stripped and waiting for the storm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haulout3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	12544  
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
We sold a lot of rope and fenders today. Even though we're at the edge of The Cone of Death, Miami boaters seem to be taking this seriously.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here at hurricane-less California, "my" boatyard chains the front and rear pairs of six stands. Three points of support are also underneath the keel.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #34

Isaac haulout

Blue Heron--what yard? I had mine hauled yesterday at Pelicans Perch. They probably have the highest ground of any around here.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #35
FF
Guru

."especially if not on good concrete."

And on dirt ? with 6+ inches of rain ?

Better stay close to adjust as the ground softens.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
Guru

From St. Petersburg

I moved my boat from my covered slip to an uncovered slip in the same marina on Friday. I'm concerned that a tidal surge due to the storm will lift the boat high enough to impact the overhead cover. I seem to be the only one in the marina taking precautions but Friday was a bit early and I only did it because I high tailed it out of town on Sunday. Anyway I'm glad it's done, there could be a race to find uncovered slips by today, and well I got mine.

The predicted storm surge greater than 3ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FL predicted Surge.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	12605  
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
My Insurance man says that statistically speaking, the least damaged boats during storms are the ones tethered to a dock at the residence where they can attended to. 2nd choice is hauled and on stands, where even the occasional punch in the nose ends up being a lot less damage than a sinking. Of course, if it ends up in the middle of a number 3 or more hurricane, statistics have a way of becoming as vague as insurance coverage.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
My Insurance man says that statistically speaking, the least damaged boats during storms are the ones tethered to a dock at the residence where they can attended to. 2nd choice is hauled and on stands, where even the occasional punch in the nose ends up being a lot less damage than a sinking.
That's good to know...but as in any real estate transaction...location...location...location.

Depends if there's storm surge or not, depends if the marina is built to withstand a decent storm surge, depends on the location of your house/canal....etc...etc

Srtatistics are great for generally speaking but when you apply them to a specific...good luck!

Insurance companies base their risks on 100,000s of thousands of units...I base my risk management on a unit of ONE!!!!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I put about 1500' of line out today and will be riding this one out. Good luck to my fellow Nothern GOM'ers
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Isaac will finally be coming ashore this evening near Barataria Bay about 55 miles ESE of here, if that holds we'll be on the "good" side with more Northerly and NW winds which should lessen the tide surge, we'll see!
right now we are getting hit by the rain bands, light rain so far with 25 maybe 30 mph winds gusts Most of the stores were shut down by noon after the usual buying frenzy and a curfew will be in effect from 7PM till the morning.
Every politico from the President to the dog catcher has been on the tube milking the situation for what it is worth.,
Good luck all
Steve W

Steve is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, isaac