Irresponsibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Ray

Vessel Name
GOML
Vessel Make
1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
It would be irresponsible of me to buy a boat without proper learning of seamanship first, right? Without taking the time to figure out if boating life was for us. Without doing proper research.

It would be irresponsible, right? Spotted a great boat, smack in my price range (well below the top), looks like it was well maintained (at least in the pictures; seeing it in person may change that).

Tell me not to buy it.

Please.

Buy the feckin' thing already.

You will grow into it!

Greetings,
Mr. JD. Oh no ya don't! No carrot dangling. Facts, figures and pictures, if possible.

giphy.webp

It would be irresponsible to buy it and start running it without taking the time to learn how to run it properly. If you do learn how to, then go for it!

It would be irresponsible of me to buy a boat without proper learning of seamanship first, right? Without taking the time to figure out if boating life was for us. Without doing proper research.

It would be irresponsible, right? Spotted a great boat, smack in my price range (well below the top), looks like it was well maintained (at least in the pictures; seeing it in person may change that).

Tell me not to buy it.

Please.

Hi,
The Covid19 is teaching us that life is unpredictable and fragile, so as long as this purchase does not put in jeopardy your capability to support financially your family, go for purchasing a boat. Now is it a good boat, without at least photos and technical background it is impossible to give advice on this boat

Study is important. I have been going through this process. I recently purchased a trawler but have studied intensely over the past 6 weeks. These times of confinement have provided me much time to investigate. I'm pretty confident with my direction but it has taken a couple of turns. Take your time. Talk to others. This site is a great resource. Good luck to you.

Can't tell you not to do it, but ...
Does the boat work well in your preferred cruising waters? Are there lots of that TYPE of boat around there?
Does the boat have space for your family to be comfortable for a longer time aboard, even if not cruising? If not, don't do it at any price.
Where the boat is, can you take it out with a training captain to learn how to handle it?
Will you have to transport it / have it brought to your area? On its' bottom or shipped?
How soon will your family have time to use it?
If repairs / upgrades are needed, will you do them, or hire them out? How much time will you actually have, and how do you and your family want to spend that time?
Money is time. You can spend money to have someone else spend their time on a project that would take you much more time to do (learning curve), or not.
As others have said, post pics and other info, engines, hours, etc.
In the alternate, go look at it, and ask if you can have it surveyed, at your expense, prior to offer. Seller might go for it, because I think that prices of luxury goods may fall sharpley soon, as I have recently read that mortgage money is getting tight.
Do you have the resources to do this if the economy goes further into the tank?
Good luck, and I hope that it goes well for you and yours.

You can't learn to ride a bike unless you actually have a bike. Just don't plow into anybody. Well, try your best not to anyway.

The heart will do what the heart wants to do. There will be plenty of time for divorce later.

It would be irresponsible to buy it and start running it without taking the time to learn how to run it properly. If you do learn how to, then go for it!

I agree 100%

At the minimum, a basic boating class from Coat Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadrom.

After that, get an experienced boating friend to show you the basics about your boat and maybe some docking tips.

Or even better, hire a boat handling instructor for a day or two. He or she can get you up to speed pretty quick and turn you into a safe competent boater quickly.

The mornings are usually devoted to boat handling and docking instruction with you at the wheel and the instructor guiding you through the maneuvers. A good instructor never handles the helm and has the student at the wheel from the beginning which builds confidence early.

Afternoons when the wind picks up, are devoted towards learning the function and use of everything on the boat including the engine room, how to do engine checks, simple maintenance tasks and handling emergencies.

An instructor can also be hired later to show you how to anchor, transverse locks and other advanced tasks.

Last edited:
We knew the ocean, weather, charts, and navigating through sea kayaking. Then we bought Badger, our first boat.

Operators & service manuals plus a parts catalogue for your engine are your best friends. Manuals for all the equipment on the boat are pretty easy to find online. The good people here on TF can help with everything else you can or cannot yet imagine.

(I scored big-time because the brother-in-law of Badgers second owner is a member on TF and has that kind of memory try that retains technical stuff from decades ago :thumb: )

Just don't bite off more than you can chew, be it weather, distance, mechanical things, etc.

Last edited:
It would be irresponsible to buy the boat without a survey, mechanical survey and prearranged moorage. Once that is done then you can learn how to operate it....

The pictures look good, and it seems clean. I don't know whether the price is good or not, but as I recall, gas engines usually sell at a sharp discount to the same boat with diesels.
If the Admiral is on board with the decision, find a good surveyor and check it out.
John

Disposable income. Boating is supposed to be fun. Are you and wife retired?

I agree with others, tell us about the boat and where you want to travel.

Ideally you will try to buy a 'turn-key' boat. DO NOT buy a project boat, it will break your heart.

You can update, making the boat 'yours', as and when you are ready.

Charter a similarly equipped boat for a couple of days, with a licensed Captain. Learn some docking skills and basic line handling and some anchoring skills.

You two can hone these skills over time. Bring your wife along to gain the same skills as you. If you and wife are comfortable working together, as a team, you two are almost 'there'.

I would suggest, you two spend at least one night on the boat anchored out. Prepare a couple of 'real' meals. Don't think the wife will always cook and clean. Yes, you two should have well defined responsibilities but, both should be be able to swap off if one gets sick or injured.

Okay, IMO, you two are ready to buy a boat. I think if you two are willing to work hard, this will take about a week maybe 2. You two can always bring the Captain back as necessary.

THEN, buy the boat, put it in a slip. How often you take the boat out, that depends on your schedule. Stay close to home, expanding you area of operation little by little.

Dont buy your 'last boat' (big boat) first. You may never find a real need to buy a bigger boat.

When you buy the boat, take courses together via Power Boat Association and Coast Guard Aux.

First learn how to steer the boat, docking and anchoring. Classes will teach you and your wife how to navigate with and without electronics. You will want RADAR and AIS and a couple of VHF radios. IMO, get comfortable with paper charts too. Consider a hand held SAT phone, in the future.

Onward to basic maintenance skills..... This will take time, effort and money. Watch and learn.
Buy membership in a couple two services. SMIRK Tires go flat on a car and things happen on a boat.

Listen to the advice of other boater but, it is you who must make the decision "IF" and how much of their advice you wish to incorporate.

We had a warning statement in the Navy. Dont let your alligator mouth overload your humming bird ass. IF you are going to single hand, step back and buy a shorter boat.

Remember, neutral is a gear, use it, especially when docking and in close quarters. And of course just fast enough to maintain steerage.

Okay, I'm done and I shall listen to others, with far greater experience and skills than myself.

Last edited:
Personally..There are a couple things I don't really love about the boat. Mostly about it being a gasser.

Operating a boat is not rocket science. In fact it isn't even difficult.

But it is beautiful. If it checks your boxes I will give you my standard advice.

Go For It!!

One more thing... The used boat market is crashing right now. Although the price seems fair I have a very strong feeling it will become "More Fair" with time. Don't overspend. Make a ridiculous offer and see what happens.

pete

I agree with Pete,
........ Make a ridiculous offer and see what happens.
The Craigslist posting admits
....owner sacrificing to pay off balloon on home.
He may reject your offer at first but my guess is he'll soon get tired of the $1000 or more per month to dock and insure a boat on Puget Sound. And big gassers are hard to sell.

Damn...that is a cool boat. Yes, I agree, gas would turn me off a bit. BUT, I also agree...if it ticks all of your boxes, go for it. And as was said, hit him with a low offer to start and see where he is. Certain boats in certain regions fetch different money. A Tolly in the PNW is a highly regarded boat regardless of the engines(Tollys in that size range were almost all gas anyway). My point being, if you can get it at a good price, you will likely not have a problem selling it at a later date. I ALWAYS go into boat buying knowing I can get rid of it if I need to...I think this boat falls into that category.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!! And yes....get your **** figured out before you go blasting around the sound!!!

It would be irresponsible to buy the boat without a survey, mechanical survey and prearranged moorage. Once that is done then you can learn how to operate it....

I’ll add an insurance quote to your list.

great looking boat... gas engines kill it for me though... :( If you're new to boating (as we all were at some point) look and pay the extra for diesels!!! They will pay for themselves 10x over! I made that mistake on my first boat...
Other than that though, great looking boat! :)

first of, something about the add isn't right, many of the pics are from somewhere else than Washington state.. no washingtonia robusta 0r Queen palm trees here,it may have been moved up from cali at some point on the other hand. No one on Bainbridge "sacrifices" their boat to pay off a balloon note!
All that being said, if its not a scam it would be a great bang for the buck at that price, gas kind of sucks but if its a boat you have for a few years then step up it could work.
Hollywood

....looks like a shrunken Ocean Alexander 420 or 440. Me thinks Ed Monk Jr had a hand in that design...and that's a very good thing. A 39 would be the cutoff for gas engines around the Great Lakes. That said, rebuilt gas engines are cheap. I'd look closely at potential machinations to remove/replace the engines.

OA 440
IMG_4248 (2).jpg

If it were me and I planned to do a lot of cruising I would join the rest of the guys and look for diesels. $$$$ and safety.
But it is a great looking vessel.

If you're seriously a boating newbie considering making the dive, I suggest you find a boat that you can sell in a couple years without too much of a financial bath. Why? Because in my experience this is exactly what happens with most new boat buyers after they learn that the costs and maintenance are much more than hoped, and they use the boat far less than dreamed.

So what kind of boats am I talking about here?

- An older boat that's fully depreciated and can be had at a bargain price

- A newer boat that can be had for an absolute steal

Good luck, hope you're able to stick with it!

Seamanship would be down on list somewhere. Lot to learn before you own. Rent or lease one or two for several weeks. Get your feel and go from there. If you decide to buy, research and secure services of Sam's or Nams trained surveyor. Good surveyors can teach you alot. Do not buy without C and V survey. Good luck.

If it passes Hull and Engine Surveys - buy it - life is too short.

Jumped in too fast - didn't realize it was gas. Don't buy it - look for diesel power - my first boat had 2 x 454's - couldn't keep it in gas - sold it for a diesel trawler after 3 months - losing considerable dollars in the process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom