Old 01-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #21

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Depending on your electronics you may also be able to install or have a Wi Fi capability. I know with Simrad/Lowrance with the Wi Fi module you can use your iPad as second screen for any nav, radar or echo sounder function.

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
We us a non cellular iPad with a Dual Bluetooth GPS puck. The program is iSailor, charts are updated regularly. It has worked flawlessly here in the PNW and Gulf Islands for the last several years. If you like send me a PM and I'll stop in town and let you take a look.

Bob

Old 01-10-2016, 01:54 AM   #23

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Recently bought an iPad 4 mini (Nov 2015) with iSailor charts.
Love it!
I have also loaded it with a world Tide & Current Tables. Nice
Spyglass is worthwhile too.
All-in-all = +1
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:48 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
Looking at navigtion and in general electronic information systems for lower helm in 36 ft gulfstar. Presently have radar, and multifunction display in flybridge. lower helm nothing. I like to use active captain but it is only on my lap top and not easily accessable when making way. Weather is another issue. Use predict wind to make float plan decissions. Would love realtime weather reports in area like pireps for aviators. In any case I am thinking of bringing on board an Ipad. how do others use the ipad and has it been a help.

Ken
Sooo....I think that's a definite "go for it"...

And yes, not to be left out, I totally agree as well, so that's a wrap..!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #25

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Apps

Marin, would love to know what nav and weather apps you are using.
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Marin, would love to know what nav and weather apps you are using.
We don't use a navigation app per se on our iPads. We prefer dedicated plotters for navigating our boats. The app we use on our iPad, which is on the screen in the photo I posted earlier, is a charting app called Navimatics. The specific version we bought is for the west coast of the US and Canada as well as the entire coasts of Alaska and Hawaii (not that we have any need for the Hawaii info--- been there, done that, got the T-shirt, never again.)

It was one of the earlier (I think) chart apps to incorporate Active Captain. As our iPads are wifi/cellular we have no need of connectivity to use Navimatics and Active Captain but we do need connectivity to update the Active Captain data base from time to time.

Navimatics also has tide and current data from all the reporting stations that can be selected with a finger tap which overlays a graph for that information which we find very useful at times although it's generally just as fast and easy to get the relevant tide or current book out and look it up.

So for us, the iPad and Navimatics replaces the paper charts or chart books that we like to use to give us the bigger picture much faster than zooming and scrolling around on the plotter displays.

You can put a single A to B straight line course on Navimatics and use the app to steer you along it but it's pretty rude and crude and we've never used this feature.

For weather, we mostly use the NOAA marine forecasts for this area. There are some weather apps that provide radar data that we'll look at occasionally but we use them so little that I can't even remember their names. Our weather here is not very violent and if you live here rain is something you live with all the time. The whole length of the coast from Puget Sound on up to Glacier Bay or thereabouts in SE Alaska on the inside waters one is never very far from a protected harbor, marine park, or anchorage so we've not found the need to get the kind of precise weather and storm cell information people boating along the east coast or Florida or Gulf seem to benefit from having.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"Recently bought an iPad 4 mini (Nov 2015) with iSailor charts.
Love it! "

"We us a non cellular iPad with a Dual Bluetooth GPS puck. The program is iSailor, charts are updated regularly. It has worked flawlessly"

We mainly put -put the east coast and Florida , but will be motoring north next season up the AICW.

For such limited use a dedicated GPS would seem overkill as I prefer to operate the AP , rather than let a machine do it.

Does anyone think just an I pad or similar would be a reasonable nav method , or would a GPS for an old lap top be a better nav tool?
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Does anyone think just an I pad or similar would be a reasonable nav method , or would a GPS for an old lap top be a better nav tool?
If you buy a cellular iPad, you know the GPS will work and provide reasonable navigation location with one of the well known marine navigation apps.

If you try to marry up a GPS dongle or puck to an old laptop, it might work but then it might not depending on how old the laptop is and what version of Windows you have. Also, keep in mind you will need a navigation software package for the laptop which can be fairly expensive and the old laptop might not have the horsepower (disk space, CPU power, and/or RAM) to drive it. OpenCPN of course is free but it is kind of a resource hog IMHO. The only way to tell is looking at all the specs for the GPS dongle/puck, the navigation software and the old laptop. Also keep in mind, the graphics displays on old laptops are quite substandard compared to an iPad and the graphics can also be quite slow. There is no easy answer on the old laptop approach. If it all works together, you have a cheap navigation system but unless you are quite knowledgeable on PCs, the screw you get might not be worth the screw you get. I would recommend if you want a laptop navigation system to go with a new or newer laptop and not the el cheapo models.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have both, an iPad and a laptop. With the hardware and charts for both systems, less than $1K.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Recently bought an iPad 4 mini (Nov 2015) with iSailor charts.
Love it! "

"We us a non cellular iPad with a Dual Bluetooth GPS puck. The program is iSailor, charts are updated regularly. It has worked flawlessly"

We mainly put -put the east coast and Florida , but will be motoring north next season up the AICW.

For such limited use a dedicated GPS would seem overkill as I prefer to operate the AP , rather than let a machine do it.

We cruised the loop this year with a boat that only had an iPad and Bluecharts as their chartplotter. They had no problems. They finished the entire loop that way. I ran into a sailboat coming down the river that was using a cell phone as his chartplotter. He was heading for the Keys. The guy was a tug boat pilot/captain.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
The Admiral is sitting here planning out a 7 day trip from Longboat to Naples with the Ipad Air and the cruising guide book. The Blue Charts and the Active Captain data make it a snap.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #32

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
Have yet to put it into operation but just purchased a Toshiba 15.6" laptop with Windows 10 that folds into a tablet.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We have a 10 inch netbook on a GPS puck running OpenCPN (no internet) as our main nav computer and a small Garmin GPSMAP 276C. I also have a Samsung Note 8 that serves multiple purposes at the lower helm.

1. Navionics for marine charting
2. Marinetraffic and Boat Beacon for pseudo-AIS
3. Full internet access through cellular data (email, news, info search)
4. Internet Hotspot
5. Music via aux jack to stereo using Pandora, Prime Music or other music sources

The Note 8 has internal GPS so no other GPS antenna is needed. I use the tablet for so many functions that it is now considered essential equipment on my helm.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #34
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Have yet to put it into operation but just purchased a Toshiba 15.6" laptop with Windows 10 that folds into a tablet."
What I use, less the foldover option. I got the wide screen so that I can get the biggest display of my chart possible. As I am in Canadian waters, I use CHS charts in CAPN nav software. Flawless.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #35

City: Tewksbury, MA
Personally I found the latest Navionics+ app the best. Check out the new features:

Navionics Boating (US) | Navionics

Most notable: real-time position tracking, auto routing (very cool feature), download latest charts anytime (they update fresh charts daily!), geo-tagged photos and posting with chart, wind forecasts, sonar static bathemetry line overlay (real time bathemetry when connected to sonar via Wifi) Arguably the best cartography (chart detail, recency and accuracy) imo.

I have no affiliation. I find my myself using iPad for navigation more now then looking my garmin 3 year old chart plotter. Each iApp update gets better each time.
DPTrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #36

City: Tewksbury, MA
Quote:
Looking at navigtion and in general electronic information systems for lower helm in 36 ft gulfstar. Presently have radar, and multifunction display in flybridge. lower helm nothing. I like to use active captain but it is only on my lap top and not easily accessable when making way. Weather is another issue. Use predict wind to make float plan decissions. Would love realtime weather reports in area like pireps for aviators. In any case I am thinking of bringing on board an Ipad. how do others use the ipad and has it been a help.

Ken
Extremely useful! Check this one out. The latest updated features are amazing.

Navionics Boating (US) | Navionics
DPTrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Lopez Island
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Vessel Model: Mainship 400T
We have a raymarine c80 plotter w navionics Gold, an IPad with Garmin Blue Charts and Navionics, and Compass rose point on a PC. The Ipad is right next to our C80, harder to see but I think more accurate at least in the Bahamas. Definitely get an IPad with the internal GPS. You don't need to activate the cellular to have it work. The IPad is our go to tool to plant trips, as well
Mainship400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
We have a 10 inch netbook on a GPS puck running OpenCPN (no internet) as our main nav computer and a small Garmin GPSMAP 276C. I also have a Samsung Note 8 that serves multiple purposes at the lower helm.

1. Navionics for marine charting
2. Marinetraffic and Boat Beacon for pseudo-AIS
3. Full internet access through cellular data (email, news, info search)
4. Internet Hotspot
5. Music via aux jack to stereo using Pandora, Prime Music or other music sources

The Note 8 has internal GPS so no other GPS antenna is needed. I use the tablet for so many functions that it is now considered essential equipment on my helm.
I'm overloaded with this volume of input. I get by without harm just using the one electronic display.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #39
omc

City: Antibes
Vessel Name: LUTIN
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
iPad aboard

iPad aboard is very useful and handily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.2 KB