Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Bleeding air from Hynautic steering system

There is a good discussion on this at http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ding-6711.html but I am going to start a new thread because my question is not quite on track for the other thread.

I have not used the boat in a few months, due to events beyond my control, so when I went down there a couple of days ago to take it out I had no steering. I know that my hydraulic system leaks some, but usually if I just keep the reservoir filled then it is OK. But there was almost no hydraulic fluid in the reservoir this time. So I put some in it and pumped up the pressure.

Still no steering, though. So I figure the lines have to be bled. The link that I gave above has fairly detailed instructions on doing that, but I am having a problem trying to figure out how far to open the nuts to purge the air. I tried loosening one until it stopped, but it came all the way out, and hydraulic fluid spurted out. So I put it back in.

The two purging screws are not really screws at all. I am sending along a couple of photos to show what the unit looks like. There is a large unit which screws into the rectangular box, and then a bolt on top of the large unit with a nut on it. ??? Loosening the nut does nothing so far as i can tell, so I loosened the lower unit. And that is when it came out and spurted hydraulic fluid on the floor.

So if someone could help me with an explanation of how far (if at all) to open those two i would be grateful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0231.JPG   IMG_0234.JPG  
Old 05-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Northport
Those screws are 'staked' and not supposed to be removed just backed out some for bleeding. I will post a link for some good directions and pictures on rebuilding a Hynautic helm - at the bottom of these directions is another link that takes you to the bleeding process alone with additional pictures.

Hydraulic Helm Rebuild
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Those screws are 'staked' and not supposed to be removed just backed out some for bleeding. I will post a link for some good directions and pictures on rebuilding a Hynautic helm - at the bottom of these directions is another link that takes you to the bleeding process alone with additional pictures.

Hydraulic Helm Rebuild
Whoa! Just exactly what I needed! (And of course I loosened the one which says DO NOT LOOSEN!) Oh well.

The pictures for the air purge instructions are perfect! One strange thing, though. They say to "loosen small nut" on relief valve, and add that "nut is pinned to stud." Well, when I loosen the small nut it just comes up to the top of the stud, rather than the stud turning. I think. I'll back down on Wednesday and check that. If the stud is not turning, then may have to use some vise grips to make it turn.

My most grateful thank you.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Did you loosen the half inch hex nut or loosen the round thing with two flats? the round thing should stay put and the nut with attached stud back out a few turns.

The stud just loads the relief valve spring, it should spin out a few turns and snug up before coming out.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:59 PM   #5

http://aventusllc.com/dalewindle/Hyn...tem%201984.pdf
fireant4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Did you loosen the half inch hex nut or loosen the round thing with two flats? the round thing should stay put and the nut with attached stud back out a few turns.

The stud just loads the relief valve spring, it should spin out a few turns and snug up before coming out.
I loosened the wrong one, Ski! I know better now. :-)