Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great discussion and info on this thread. Now if I can just get the Admiral to do the trial and selection process. She's crazy about her I pad but overwhelmed by the options.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #42
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I held off replying on this thread since I wanted to wait until I have worked everything out on my new iPad.

I must admit that I have a love-hate relationship with iNavx. I originally bought an iPad because of the navigation app, iNavx. And...I loaded $600 worth of CHS charts, as well as the navionics charts. So, all in, a $700 "investment" in it. We used it exclusively for navigation when we did our bareboat charters in 2012. The first boat we chartered had some very old setup that I just didn't trust, and it wasn't available on the fly bridge. I don't recall what there was in the second vessel.

What I like: the CHS raster charts, route plotting, track recording, etc. The NOAA charts are free to download. It was a godsend during our inauguration into cruising. What I don't like? The recent instability issues and the CHS charts. They're too GD expensive! And they have a short lifespan for updates.

INavx has struggled with the changing IOS systems. I'm not sure whether some of the issues were due to my original iPad II which has aged and become sluggish with the IOS updates. I have now updated to the new iPad 9.7" Pro. I figured that the latest iPad was the way to go with all the changes to the IOS. I managed to convince XTraverse to allow me to "transfer" my CHS charts to my new iPad. In doing so I have the latest CHS charts. However, it's a onetime agreement. Hopefully there will be now issues that arise on the near term. And iNavx has been very responsive to my queries and bur reports.

I cannot comment on the other nav apps. We use Coastal Explorer for our onboard system. The iPad is our backup. We loaned it to another vessel last summer when their Garmin plotter packed it in.

FWIW

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Have to put in a plug for isailor on the iPad. I was pretty skeptical, seemed too cheap to be good, but it works great for me. Tested in Downeast Maine, Seattle and on a delivery from Norfolk to Saint Marten over the past year. Using the built in gps only accuracy is impressive. I haven't found any problems with the charts and have gotten free updates. Prices for charts I bought were pretty cheap though I did notice that the Bahamas charts seemed a bit dear. My only gripe is the small screen size of the iPad when compared to a big plotter. But then I think back to my Trimble sat nav with digital Lat-Long readout and I stop whining. Where did I put that sextant?
Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #44
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My first iPad nav app was 'Plan2Nav'. It uses Jeppeson charts, but lacks the detail I get on Nobeltec Trident.

So I just downloaded iSailor and purchased charts for my local area. It is superior to thePlan2Nav in regards to detail in a few tricky areas that I regularly use for anchoring in Moreton Bay, so I'm looking forward to using it next time I'm out.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 AM   #45
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, I agree. I have iSailer too Brian. Looks good. I am looking forward to getting out there and comparing it to the Navionics on the pad I already have and quite like.

By the way. We have had a slight change of plan. I now will only sell Lotus if someone meets my price or betters it. I am leaning towards hanging onto it actually. I have a cunning plan - at least I think it is.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #46
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Pete
Good for you. I think the best plan is for your kids to sell it, eventually, after they have respectfully carried you off it in a wooden box. Tell 'em not to hold their breath, it's going to be a while.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
I also have the CHS charts, but I've lately been using a better option...The Navionics 2XG charts from X-Traverse are only around 50 bucks and cover all Canadian waters, plus all of Puget Sound. And, being true vector charts, are much more readable on my iPad Air. I'll soon be upgrading to the 9.7" iPad Pro, but my current model has worked flawlessly for me, using the NOAA, CHS and Navionics charts. Since switching to the Navionics charts, the CHS & NOAA charts go unused.

--Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I held off replying on this thread since I wanted to wait until I have worked everything out on my new iPad.

What I like: the CHS raster charts, route plotting, track recording, etc. The NOAA charts are free to download. It was a godsend during our inauguration into cruising. What I don't like? The recent instability issues and the CHS charts. They're too GD expensive! And they have a short lifespan for updates.

I cannot comment on the other nav apps. We use Coastal Explorer for our onboard system. The iPad is our backup. We loaned it to another vessel last summer when their Garmin plotter packed it in.

FWIW

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #48
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHASA III View Post
I
And, being true vector charts, are much more readable on my iPad Air.

True?

What would be an alternative vector chart?

-Chris
Old 05-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Funny...yeah, making the mental comparison to raster-scans, which suck when expanded! (Maybe the True ones are guaranteed not to lie?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
True?

What would be an alternative vector chart?

-Chris