Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
I don't think Navionice does heading up , which I prefer.
Andrew, my Navionics on the android tablet has an icon in the lower left corner that selects various display modes, including track up. It's the icon with the line extended ahead of the arrowhead. It toggles through the choices as you tap it.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
As strictly a backup I use Navimatics Charts and Tides. It is a rudimentary chart platter that uses vector charts. I particularly like the ability to click on a T or C symbol and get the tide or current diagram for that spot. I think it cost $10 for the east coast charts.

For raster charts which you sometimes need, I use PolarView Mx which is free. It is a more rudimentary plotter. You have to load charts via the NOAA list, so it is not as nice as Mx Mariner for Android which lets you download entire NOAA regions. For a free raster chart plotter Mx Mariner is by far my favorite, but alas my Nexus 7 sort of died so I now use an iPad.

If I were going to use the iPad as my exclusive chart plotter I would use something more sophisticated like Navionics, but for backup these work fine.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I'm not much of an iPad guy but I can understand why people use them. Their Nav charts (many different ones) are very cost efficient and I suppose that's the main reason for so many using them.

I'm an MFD kind of guy and like my electronics flush mounted right in front of my face. The new MFDs are incredible! The resolution, detail, coverage, & intuitiveness are better than ever. (ie The Raymarine Es127 & 128 come packaged with Lighthouse, Navionics and C-Map as menu items. I've been a Navionics guy for years but am thoroughly impressed with the C-Map cartography at present. Zooming in & out is done with a knob and is really nice when you are entering waypoints. Same with the radar...turn the knob to zoom out or in. Each device, radar, plotter or fish finder has its own manual...on board! No paper books any more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New PANEL 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	51122   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Charts  2D & 3D.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	51123  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #24

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Check out SEAiq at SEAiq.com it works on many platforms. You can even download a free version to test. It also uses NOAA charts which can be downloaded for free. If you purchase it you can also intergrate with Active Captain.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Melboune
Vessel Name: Lady M
Vessel Model: Horizon 68
"If iSailor is working great for you in Australia, great. Perhaps the Garmin app would be even better. Do you know? "

I am sure that Garmin mobile is excellent however I believe it did have issues in the beginning. I have used Garmin extensively over the years with road navigation and Blue Charts on a Palm pilot and it was fine back then, apart from the rigmarole involved in downloading and unlocking maps that drove me mad.

I have tried and still use for camparison at times Inavx,and Navionics On laptop I have Memory Map for raster scan charts , Open CPN and SOB Max.
I also have a near new Raymarine 120 chart plotter(stupidly I did not get touch screen), to many extra dollars, so I drew the line.

The Raymarine I hate most, poor interface, cumbersome to use, poor navigation info boxes, and in places less detail than isailor, I have them side by side in my wheelhouse , so I make direct comparison.

By comparison Garmin app is much more money and you have to pay for updates!! Charts are much more expensive to, I cant see the benefit in paying more and not getting more.

With isailor I got the app for free, downloaded and purchased charts once, very well priced ,I have it on three ipads and two phones, I have it on the flying bridge, in my stateroom, on the bar, and in my pocket, on every device. I bought it once, I paid once, and all updates for all devises are free forever , so it seems. I have had it now for three years I think and have cruised the East coast of Australia and been into some very tight locations and bolt holes. The depth contours are incredibly accurate.

The thing I love is that I do not even think about which app or which device any more, isailor does it all for me.
Simple clean charts with fantastic detail, great interface with all info you need on one page, heading up (I know navionics does that now), full transfer of all tracks, waypoints etc between all devices including Raymarine, and really easy to use, redundancy due to multiple devices, AIS, tide data, weather, etc. Plus charts are all on board so no downloading, no internet required just ipad gps, I don't even use external gps sensor, never needed it, even though I have one.

Mapping by Transis that I believe every large ship on the ocean uses, so it cant be all that bad can it? I know this because I asked them if I could get a PC based software package and they told me that it is mega bucks for ships.

All for one once of payment.

What is there not to like?

And no I do not work for them and have no association with them I am just a fan.
andrewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #26
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
What is there not to like?
It's the charts. Just like you stumbled upon, Transas charts are made for ECDIS systems for ships. I'll bet the charts for Sydney are spectacular. But find a small bay somewhere with just a few meters of depth, and the charts are likely to be quite poor.

Of course the Transas chart updates are free. What's getting updated are the shipping lanes. How much effort is going into digitizing the recreational areas? There is no free lunch.

Without charts myself of Australia, I can't prove it. But I'll challenge anyone to upload a screen shot of iSailor around Big Majors in the Bahamas. I'll upload the same area from Garmin. Let's compare...
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

All I can say is this definitely not the case here in the areas I have used isailor.

I cant comment for Garmin App but I can tell you that in an area of Australia called The Great Sandy Straights they are notoriously narrow, shallow, and tidal, this together with Hervey Bay are very dodgy areas as far as charts go. What we have done on a regular basis is go along slowly all of us peering at the ipad watching a contour approach where it may go from say 6' to 30' , hearts pounding. thinking can we trust this map? And everytime the chart was true, we cheer have another beer and carry on to the next shallow patch.

I can assure no ship would ever be in that area, you can say what you like I am basing my opinion on hands on experience comparing our sounder to the charts.

We time and time again could never figure out how these charts were so accurate.

My crew have actually said that they "trust them with their lives" !

There are places where we have been that are not charted that are locally known that we have gone into on waypoints provided by local knowledge but no charts we posses have these place charted accurately or at all. If we have found an error like the placement of a mark for example as has been the case on occasion we check the Raymarine Cmap and it has been wrong aswell as has been Navionics.

Anyway you can say what you like you will not convince me or anyone that I know that uses isailor that the Transis charts are not as good or better than any others we have tried in our part of the world.

Anyway no point debating it here, just download it and have look at it , if you don't like don't use it.

I have personally wasted a lot of dollars on trying this and that and always come back to isailor bcause its good for me.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
iSailor is the backup for my Garmin. Each has its place.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Is anyone here familiar with the crowd-sourcing of bottom depth for Navionics charts? I read a great article about it but can't research it right this moment.

From what I've seen in the CA Delta, it's made a significant improvement in bottom depth accuracy. And....after all, isn't that why we have chartplotters and depth sounders...to stay off the bottom?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #30

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malahide View Post

I bought Inavx after ready some positive reviews and confirming that it would work with an external GPS. It wasn't cheap at $50 bucks but was a fraction of a boat unit... This plotter was a poor choice for me. The charts are expensive! $300 every two years for the west coast of the US and Canada??? Too much. Also the charts are difficult to select and navigate. this would have improved with the learning curve but I was turned off by the price of the charts.

I am not sure where you got the $300 price from, but NOAA charts for US waters are free. Charts for all Canada cost $99.95. I just finished downloading NOAA charts for all the Great Lakes, and I didn't have to pay anything. I don't find it difficult to select charts, since iNav-x does this for me. I suggest that you download the users manual so that you can understand all the features of this app.

I have been using an i-Pad and i-Navx for five years. I initially bought it as a backup, but it was so much better than my chartplotter that I now use the chartplotter only as a radar display.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of using an i-Pad is that there are many nav apps available. Unlike old style chartplotters, I am not stuck with the software that comes with the device. Someday I may find an app that I like better than iNav-x. If I do, it will be easy to switch.

A good place to read about boating apps is here: i-Marine Apps
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malahide View Post

I bought Inavx after ready some positive reviews and confirming that it would work with an external GPS. It wasn't cheap at $50 bucks but was a fraction of a boat unit... This plotter was a poor choice for me. The charts are expensive! $300 every two years for the west coast of the US and Canada??? Too much. Also the charts are difficult to select and navigate. this would have improved with the learning curve but I was turned off by the price of the charts.

Just adding my 2c. after being disappointed with Inavx...

I use iNavX on my iPad Air and could not be more pleased. I've been using it for a couple of years, first a supplement to my Garmin 740, and now as primary, keeping the Garmin in the radar mode.

The CHS charts are pretty expensive, but iNavX will display both raster charts and vector charts -- the detail is amazing with the vector charts. I downloaded the Canadian Navionics Canadian 2XG charts from X-Traverse, which includes virtually all Canadian waters, the San Juans, all of Puget Sound and as far south as Portland. It was around 50 bucks and X-Traverse seems to have eliminated the annual subscription fee.

There are as many opinions as there are Apps, but iNavX has worked well for me.

Cheers, Vic
Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #32

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Is anyone here familiar with the crowd-sourcing of bottom depth for Navionics charts? I read a great article about it but can't research it right this moment.

From what I've seen in the CA Delta, it's made a significant improvement in bottom depth accuracy. And....after all, isn't that why we have chartplotters and depth sounders...to stay off the bottom?
This may not be the article that you are referring to, but there is a great discussion here Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Navionics SonarCharts, now via SonarPhone or GPX file, plus the Lowrance autopilot

Make sure to read all the comments
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We have been using Blue Chart as well, as a backup to our Raymarine/Navionics MFD, mainly in the Bahamas. What sold me on it is that Blue Chart uses explorer charts for the Bahamas, which I have found to be much more accurate than the Navionics charts. Either way, it's nice to have two different charts for the same area.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I used iSailor Sunday, took me right to the canal I was looking for in pea soup fog in Oak Bay. I work with a fellow at work who uses it on his North Pacific and another friend who uses it on his Catalina 32. They both recommended it to me.

I also have Bluecharts, weren't they the one who didn't have the breakwater in Oakland charted that was discussed a few moths ago? Sorry but the Garmin bluecharts look to cartoony to me.

I have C-Map charts on my Standard Horizon chart-plotter, I like having the redundancy of the iPad and iSailor. I have AIS display on it, AND on iSailor.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
The major drawback to Blue Chart app to me is it can't be used to navigate like a Chartplotter. Otherwise, it is quite nice. Including the Active Captain info.

Trying out iSailor right now. Looks interesting. But trying out figure out in it how to start it following/navigating a route or going to a waypoint (I have my routes and waypoints in the data base) and why head up, course up are greyed out and not selectable.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
The major drawback to Blue Chart app to me is it can't be used to navigate like a Chartplotter. Otherwise, it is quite nice. Including the Active Captain info.

Trying out iSailor right now. Looks interesting. But trying out figure out in it how to start it following/navigating a route or going to a waypoint (I have my routes and waypoints in the data base) and why head up, course up are greyed out and not selectable.

What I have done mainly with isailor is simply tap on the screen where you want to go and a box opens up there. You can drag it around until you get the way point just where you want it and then in the box that opens up choose the little pair of dividers icon and that's your go to.
You will then get all the info , time distance eta etc to the waypoint. Often before you get to that waypoint you will just put in another forther ahead on your journey.

For stored waypoint the same select the waypoint and select the go to icon and your done.

From memory the grayed out heading choice choice becomes active once you are actually navigating underway, I have seen this before but I cant fully remember but I ma sure it just comes available once you are on the go.

Also you can select the compass rose on the chart that gives you your ,main info, like speed heading, etc and then you can maximise the actual chart itself on the screen.

There is heaps more but I just tap and go , pinch and zoom on anything I want then just find ship again. I run more than one device so I might have an overall big picture time to destination on one and my zoomed in short lesg I am creating as I go. I have done hundred of miles up the Australian coast this way and find it just so easy and and accurate .

I am a detail freak so I am constantly checking the charts and zooming in etc, The ipad for me is much easier than my big 120 Raymarine and its wherever I am not just stuck in the wheelhouse.

Only draw back is if your ipad is sitting in sun it can overheat and quit to cool off and daylight viewing is not as good as Raymarine.

I have powered holders dotted around the boat where I have my navirunning so I can keep an eye on the chart all the time and not run out of battery.

I am not a techno person if I can work it out I am sure anyone can.

Good luck its a great app IMHO
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
What I have done mainly with isailor is simply tap on the screen where you want to go and a box opens up there. You can drag it around until you get the way point just where you want it and then in the box that opens up choose the little pair of dividers icon and that's your go to.
You will then get all the info , time distance eta etc to the waypoint. Often before you get to that waypoint you will just put in another forther ahead on your journey.

For stored waypoint the same select the waypoint and select the go to icon and your done.

From memory the grayed out heading choice choice becomes active once you are actually navigating underway, I have seen this before but I cant fully remember but I ma sure it just comes available once you are on the go.

Also you can select the compass rose on the chart that gives you your ,main info, like speed heading, etc and then you can maximise the actual chart itself on the screen.

There is heaps more but I just tap and go , pinch and zoom on anything I want then just find ship again. I run more than one device so I might have an overall big picture time to destination on one and my zoomed in short lesg I am creating as I go. I have done hundred of miles up the Australian coast this way and find it just so easy and and accurate .

I am a detail freak so I am constantly checking the charts and zooming in etc, The ipad for me is much easier than my big 120 Raymarine and its wherever I am not just stuck in the wheelhouse.

Only draw back is if your ipad is sitting in sun it can overheat and quit to cool off and daylight viewing is not as good as Raymarine.

I have powered holders dotted around the boat where I have my navirunning so I can keep an eye on the chart all the time and not run out of battery.

I am not a techno person if I can work it out I am sure anyone can.

Good luck its a great app IMHO

Thanks. Will play around with it more.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #38

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Andrewf and others here:
Thanks for the tips on iPad nav software apps, really appreciate it. I should send you waypoint for beer this summer!

Been playing/learning on iSailor last few days at the kitchen table, very impressive tool, intuitive, easy to lay in waypoints and courses. Figured out the tide table tool too.

Can't wait to try it on the water and run it with my old Standard Horizon plotter and antique radar. This kinda stuff is the way forward in the fog for me!

Next is build RAM mounts for it below and topside, work up some USB power distribution.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
+1 for the Garmin blue chart app. Layer in Active captain to it and its hard to beat.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
GF,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you all the routes we have for the Islands and you can play with importing them into iSailor. Will definitely have to meet up for a cold one!