Old 11-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Years ago when Keurig just became really popular I bought one for the boat. Worked great on shore power but burned out instantly when I tried it on an inverter. Took it back to the retailer and they gave me a new one. Same thing happened. I knew nothing about inverters and sine wave etc.

I was convinced it was defective Keurigs and so I called them. They asked where I was using it and I explained. They said that it was burning out because it was not designed for that use but that they would send me a modified unit that would work just fine. And they did. And no charge. That's customer service. BTW, we have since graduated to a Nesspreso.

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #22

City: Spending the summer in Baltimore harbor
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Drake,
Call Magnum and ask to speak to Mary Raub...she is VERY good in explaining her products and how they work together. I only installed one BMK, so the "master" inverter knows when to scale back the charging.

HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use Magnum's MS-PAE inverter because it supplies both 120/240 and is also a charger. All ac power runs thru the inverter so when shore or generator power is cut, it switches to battery. Up to 4 inverters can be ganged to provide 16kw. I have 8kw. It also can start a generator when batteries are low. I have an alternator on one of my mains to keep the inverter banks up so I don't run a generator, too.
If you're going to install it yourself, best buys are on Amazon or ebay. Some companies charge double those prices.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #24
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with this brand of inverter?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Inve...19935e68&tpp=1

Thanks

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
It sure would help to know what the OP's current house bank is and what he'd like to run through an inverter otherwise no valuable opinion can be provided.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with this brand of inverter?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Inve...19935e68&tpp=1

Thanks

Ted
These are a Chinese product that is private labeled through a number of USA distributors. Use them on my charter boat to run an air conditioner. Components are of marginal quality and have no corrosion protection for humid environments. I typically get about 4 years out one before they fail. Have one of their smaller pure sine wave units in my pickup that's likely 7 years old. It sees much less use in a less humid salt free environment.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #27
Ted
Guru

Ted,
Thanks for the info, they are the only ones that seem to be able
to build what I need.

Ted
Old 11-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #28

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
These are a Chinese product that is private labeled through a number of USA distributors. Use them on my charter boat to run an air conditioner. Components are of marginal quality and have no corrosion protection for humid environments. I typically get about 4 years out one before they fail. Have one of their smaller pure sine wave units in my pickup that's likely 7 years old. It sees much less use in a less humid salt free environment.

Ted

What size AC unit are you running?
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #29

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
I would suggest put your money in a Mastervolt... kind of expensive but after years of install different inverter types and brands, Mastervolt got my trust.
And try to get as much power as you can afford on money and batteries.. an inverter is alwyas hungry... Be carefull with installation or hire somebody qualified to do it. You're gonna we working with high power batteries.
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Ted,
Thanks for the info, they are the only ones that seem to be able
to build what I need.

Ted
Ted,

Try:

Power Inverters and Solar Inverters for Home and Businesses - The Inverter Store

They seem to have one of the widest selections at competitive prices. Had one of my units die with in a year from something coming loose inside and shorting the inverter out. They replaced the unit promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
What size AC unit are you running?
16,000 btu ac with rotary compressor and 120 VAC raw water pump. It requires about 120 amp 12 VDC. Use a 220 amp Lecee Neville truck alternator to provide power and an 8D battery to handle the starting surge.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #31

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Thanks Ted, sorry to OP for the thread drift.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #32
Ted
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Ted,

Try:

Power Inverters and Solar Inverters for Home and Businesses - The Inverter Store

They seem to have one of the widest selections at competitive prices. Had one of my units die with in a year from something coming loose inside and shorting the inverter out. They replaced the unit promptly.

16,000 btu ac with rotary compressor and 120 VAC raw water pump. It requires about 120 amp 12 VDC. Use a 220 amp Lecee Neville truck alternator to provide power and an 8D battery to handle the starting surge.

Ted
Thanks but they don't have 110v DC to 120v AC units

Ted
Old 11-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #33

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
hmason...Worked great on shore power but burned out instantly when I tried it on an inverter.

Thx for posting, you likely solved a 3 yr mystery on HEY JUDE. We've burned up 2 Lasko vertical fans on our 15 yr old inverter. We have Baker's electrician installing a Magnum 2000 while he upgrades the battery leads & adds a couple of switches.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
As BPoker said, you need to understand your requirements, both current and future. We went with the Magnum 2800 rather than the 2000, because of the increased charging capacity. It's been excellent. You should have the BMK kit with shunt and the Remote panel for monitoring. Magnum is highly regarded and their customer support has been excellent in my case.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #35

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Surprised no one has mentioned this but important to keep in mind inverters are most efficient (maybe even ONLY efficient) near their max power, so a lot of applications are best off having a small even just a 750W inverter to run a couple outlets you use the most (e.g. laptop) and a larger one for remaining. The specs won't normally show the efficiency curve only idle draw and peak efficiency.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #36
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Sure, run them at their maximum. My $500 pos Xantrex 1KW true sinewave puked, rolled over and died on a sudden power load slightly over 1KW operating my fridge and another load. REplaced with Chinese junk 2KW true sinewave for $175 which continues to work very well.

There are other issues pertaining to running at max power and one is cooling especially in warm climates along with being operated in areas where air circulation is poor. But getting back to efficiency. Who really cares if their "box" operates at 89 or 92% efficiency?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Sure, run them at their maximum. My $500 pos Xantrex 1KW true sinewave puked, rolled over and died on a sudden power load slightly over 1KW operating my fridge and another load. REplaced with Chinese junk 2KW true sinewave for $175 which continues to work very well.

There are other issues pertaining to running at max power and one is cooling especially in warm climates along with being operated in areas where air circulation is poor. But getting back to efficiency. Who really cares if their "box" operates at 89 or 92% efficiency?
Your chinese inverter gets 89% efficiency at 10% load? I'll take two!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #38
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Your chinese inverter gets 89% efficiency at 10% load? I'll take two!
Who knows? I don't care what the efficiency is as long as it works reliably

But lets consider efficiency. As a circuit design engineer I designed numerous switch mode power supplies in my past. There are only a few things that drive power losses in an inverter. They include the reverse protection diode at the power input....if they even provide one. One needs to check the device's voltage drop curve as a function of current. It will also change as a function of temperature which is the same for most silicon diodes. That voltage drop times the input current.....for say a 2KW inverter will be in the 165 amp range or a power loss of 165 X (.7-1.0) or 115-165 watts. Good reason to not provide reverse polarity protection.

Been a long time since I did this stuff and power switching devices have improved a great deal over time with the advent of power mosfets. So guessing they could have in the neighborhood of .5 volts when full on. Note-- one power switch won't cut it, too much power so designers use many in parallel for switching. Next power loss will be in the switching transformers, both in the transformer wire along with core losses.

Today I imagine this stuff is now cut and paste so there might be less safety factors in the cheapies vs higher priced units. But I will further guess that there is very little difference in the efficiency. OH.... remember I mentioned that the power switches are paralleled? That could have a negative impact on efficiency if the Chinese cut the total number in parallel to save on component costs but I doubt it. Parts that used to cost big bucks when I was doing circuit design are now priced as if they were popcorn.

You can purchase a $40 shirt made in the U.S. or go to Wally World and purchase a similar shirt for $15-20. Both will serve as shirts. This is going to be a major problem for Donald. The bad thing is today you might not be able to find any shirts made here and the same goes for inverters
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Who knows? I don't care what the efficiency is as long as it works reliably
"Cost is not an object" - said no professional engineer ever.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:18 AM   #40
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I was going to post an observation, but after reading some of these posts i got a headache realising this stuff is so above my head that I am completely out of my depth, so best not to venture an opinion.

Suffice to say.

I had a 2000W Xantrex, it died- not happy
Bought a Victron 2000W inverter/charger, it works-happy

My Victron is a much larger unit & it takes about 15 seconds to switch from inverter power to AC, during that time you must be careful not to turn on any high draw electrical load, such as a compressor, hot water element or jug, as the Victron will howl in protest, till the unit switches automativally to AC

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote