Introducing Skinny Dippin' V2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
2000 Navigator 420 Classic

Yea, I know... NOT a trawler. However, our lifestyle isn't conducive to a trawler right now. And while I, personally, had to make a few big compromises, she is an beautiful and well cared for boat. 5 GPH at trawler speed, but she will hop up on plane and scoot up to 20-21 knots if needed. Full pilot house lower helm and reasonably new electronics. We already have a list of projects, but nothing major yet. All I need to do is learn to drive a twin screw. Hmmm... I guess I will figure it out.

Here we go again... Back onto the roller coaster... And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Later y'all

Attachments

• Nav420.jpg
    Nav420.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 4857430_20141111121200338_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111121200338_1_XLARGE.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 4857430_20141111121959382_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111121959382_1_XLARGE.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 4857430_20141111122215128_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111122215128_1_XLARGE.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 4857430_20141111130147079_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4857430_20141111130147079_1_XLARGE.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 100
History shows you will take this great vessel and improve it more!! Congratulations!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I love it!!! What kind of engines???

Congratulations, what a lovely looking boat. We are looking at something of a similar design to live aboard so will be interested to hear how you like her.

Everybody's buying new boats...

I feel left out.

Congrats looks great you now need to change your signature

Congratulations on your new boat! :thumb:

Ted

Thanks everyone!! We are super excited! Being boatless was very boring. Here is a picture of Bimini, boat dog in training for the last year. (phifertex color samples already ordered)

Attachments

• Boatdog.jpg
    Boatdog.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Well done! I'm not familiar with the Navigator name. Where'd you find her? Docking in New Bern, or Oriental?

Man, that's a lot of boat. Looks like someone took a straw and blew up Skinny Dippin I. Anyway, sincere congrats on your new vessel and particularly Bimini!

Bimini is certainly a proper Boatn' Dog name for he/ she. And a fine looking pup :)!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Bimini! Hmmm, I think I see where this is going.:thumb::D

Well done! I'm not familiar with the Navigator name. Where'd you find her? Docking in New Bern, or Oriental?

"The Beaty's: Making slips available at Northwest Creek Marina since 2009" :)

Navigator has a history that is intertwined with Californian. It's not a long history as a brand itself, but they built good, solid boats out of Parris, CA until 2013. It's a thick and solid fiberglass hull with some good flair for cutting through stinky seas. The layout is VERY unique on the inside, however, it does create a few challenges. Nevertheless, there is tons of storage. Anywhere there could be a cabinet... there is one. It also has two very large hanging lockers. Four reverse cycle AC units and two pretty great engines with low hours for their age.

The engine room has pretty good space for moving around and you can get all around the engines (I pushed hard for us to get the Californian because of the stand-up engine room). Although, one of the first BIG projects I want to undertake is to make a couple of hatches in the saloon to allow much better access. The framing is there, I'll just have to make them proper hatches.

How we found her is a cute story. Two years ago we went to Ocracoke in the trawler. We ended up in a slip next to this boat. At the time, neither of us had plans to sell our boats, but Bess and I gave the owner a courtesy boat card and said, "Call us first if you want to sell."

Fast forward two years. We sold the trawler and were making offers on coastal vacation property in Kill Devil Hills. Less than a week after geting an accepted offer on a nice place, we got an email from the Navigator's owner saying he was thinking about putting her up for sale. Figures, right? Well, we turned him down and went back to house shopping. I was convinced we needed to use our money in a positive way and not buy another boat.

One year and four bad real estate deals later, Bess and I decided that we really just wanted to be on the water again. We spent months looking at boats that weren't the Navigator. Most of them much larger than 42'. The Nav was the most money for the least length. Well, finally, after looking at bad Bayliners and colossal-size Californians, we started taking a serious look at the Navigator again. We got a very good deal because the seller wrote us into the broker contract as an exception since we pre-dated the broker's listing. However, we did work with Mark Bowerman (Grace Yachting and a TF member... DaddyO) to manage some of the closing details (He was great BTW). So here we are.

Now we have a boat that is efficient on fuel at slow speeds, but can gettyup if we need to... And during our slow trawler years, we found out we really needed to sometimes.

There you have it... Certainly we should have bought this one from the get-go and we have lost a whole 'nother season of boating, but the way I fig'gr it, now we have the Fall and Winter to learn her, make her our own, and shop for a place to moor here.

Great lookin' boat and pup. By the way, love the names for both too!

Kevin

Tom that is a Fantastic looking boat!

Nice boat, Tom! I've always liked the layout in the Navigator line. Great use of space, easy flow patterns and very good sight lines from the helm.

Congrats on the new boat and dog.

I was convinced we needed to use our money in a positive way and not buy another boat.

No clue what you are talking about here!!!!;)

Congratulations, Tom and Bess, and welcome back to the only real life there is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom