Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
One of the consistently highest rated charter companies in North America is Anacortes Yacht Charters. They have a very good selection of power and sail vessels, and they are right next door to the San Juan Islands.

Anacortes Yacht Charters - Best Power and Sail Boat Chartering in the San Juan Islands and Pacific Northwest

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I chartered the Anacortes Yacht Charters in 2009. The boat was great and had a fantastic time. If you are from Texas and you plan to charter in the PNW, be aware of the tides and currents

Pilgrim 40 Hull #18
Kemah, Texas
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Meanwhile, you could learn about trawlers ridding with Arctic Traveller who is a member of this forum. They have a very nice and highly recommended program
Thanks for the kind words, we try hard to make sure our students come away with a solid understanding of the skills needed to become successful boaters. There has been some good advice here, particularly the advice to make sure your family has a great first experience. Throw in a lot of the things they like to do, and you will win them over quickly. Enjoy the process, and check out our website for more info on our training vacations.......Arctic Traveller
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
...and the problem with that is.......

*the local "aliens" are friendly and will enjoy a beer with you
No we won't. If we see you out in a boat we'll wake your ass with the biggest Bayliner we can find--- twice---, aim the meanest Orca son-of-a-bitch in J-pod at you with orders to bite holes in your hull, crank up Mt. St. Helens to dump a ton of ash on you as you begin to succumb to hypothermia in the water after your boat sinks, and then after we pull you out suggest as politely as we can muster that you go back where you came from. And since you will most likely be unable to find the nearest border through the driving rain we will be all helpful-like and lead you to it.

The other two items in Pau Hana's list are correct.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #25

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I have chartered with SWFY. I was crew for my sister and brother-in-law. My b-i-l knows little about boating. He had a 2 hour on the water session with the boat and one of their captains and they turned us loose. They were not aware of my boating experience.

I'm a fan of anchoring at night, but they like to tie up early at marinas and have dinner ashore at a good restaurant. The area is perfect for that kind of cruising. SWFY is a great place to charter.

I also crewed for them up in the San Juans. We were able to do the same kind of boating there but the waters are not as friendly.

We also crewed for them out of Venice Italy. The Crusader 30 easily handled 3 couples and we found good restaurants there as well, but overnights were at walls, not marinas.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #26

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I have chartered with SWFY. I was crew for my sister and brother-in-law. My b-i-l knows little about boating. He had a 2 hour on the water session with the boat and one of their captains and they turned us loose. They were not aware of my boating experience.

I'm a fan of anchoring at night, but they like to tie up early at marinas and have dinner ashore at a good restaurant. The area is perfect for that kind of cruising. SWFY is a great place to charter.

I also crewed for them up in the San Juans. We were able to do the same kind of boating there but the waters are not as friendly.

We also crewed for them out of Venice Italy. The Crusader 30 easily handled 3 couples and we found good restaurants there as well, but overnights were at walls, not marinas.
Good info, jeffnick!

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, cruise, instruction, learn, school, training