Internet on the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Hope

Looking for some advise on the best way and most economical way to get internet access while cruising. I've done some basic searching but wanted to get some real world advise. It appears that Starlink may be one of the best options. We're planning on a trip to Bahamas this summer and I will need tostay in-touch with my business. I don't need access year round (I'll be docked at the marina) but for this summer I will be cruising and will require internet.

Looking for some advise on the best way and most economical way to get internet access while cruising. I've done some basic searching but wanted to get some real world advise. It appears that Starlink may be one of the best options. We're planning on a trip to Bahamas this summer and I will need tostay in-touch with my business. I don't need access year round (I'll be docked at the marina) but for this summer I will be cruising and will require internet.

If you need continual access, Starlink would be the best. Take a look at this site. These folks review different approaches for boats and RV’s.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/planpicks/

Another Starlink feature is that you turn it off and not pay for it when you aren't using it. Mine is turned off now, until I reactivate it in the spring.

These folks report on their Starlink experience.....

We have the flat panel Starlink and have had no issues with the service. We haven’t been to the Bahamas yet, though.

We've had Starlink for about two years now. We've been up to Alaska, and down the West Coast of the US, Baja, Mexico. Now in Barra de Navidad, on the Pacific side of Mexico. Almost 6000 miles now using Starlink.

Heading through the Panama Canal and over to Florida and Bahamas later this year.

Starlink has worked pretty much continuously for us. We pay $145.00/month for the residential plan with portability. We also have the Dishy, rectangular panel, with motors disabled so it remains flat.

We've experienced no degradation in signal with the motors disabled. We just followed youtube instructions on how to do it. It took about an hour to do, including dismounting and remounting after drilling the hole and unplugging the motors.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike Musk and giving him money Starlink is a reasonable choice if your travel plans are appropriate. We needed secure phone and internet so went with sailor fleet one using the coastal plan most of time which is good out to 200 nm throughout the world. It’s pay as you go if you time the prepaid cards. So our routine was Wi-Fi or local phone chip in cruising grounds and fleet one on passage or for secure communications.
Never dropped a call nor failed during an up/download regardless of weather conditions or locale. Truly reliable.

Seems like Sailor Fleet One is rather defunct compared to Starlink, which is cheaper, faster and has better range. What am I missing here?

Amazon is planning selling their satellite service in 2025. The only price I've seen is $400 for the antenna. I have Starlink, it works fine, but competition can't hurt. I'll probably try it.

I use the tmobile tower that converts data into wifi.

It cost $50/ month and so fat its been okay.

Starlink. We used it up the Inside Passage, now using it offshore near Baja...it just works and for your seasonal use case, you can pause the service when you're not onboard.

A captain a few slips from me often goes to the Bahamas fishing and swears by Starlink.

I would join in the votes for Starlink. I have it in SE Alaska and it works very well. They say you can’t use it in motion, but at trawler speeds (no more than 8 knots) it works fine. I’ve even had it work deep in Ford’s Terror, a narrow fjord with cliffs thousands of feet high on both sides. It has plenty of bandwidth for running Zoom meetings.

When I was traveling by car around the USA, My Verizon Hot spot worked well, needed no antenna but cost the same per month as Starlink. The same hot spot worked reasonably as well on the boat right up until I crossed into Canada.

While cruising the inside passage my Verizon phone stopped working north of Desolation Sound. However, I was able make WiFi calls through my Starlink.

So here in the PNW there is no answer like Starlink. Now I have no experience on the ICW so there cellular might work better, assuming you do not go to the Bahamas or Canada.

Starlink has worked very well for us. Never lost signal all the way around New Zealand last summer.
We cruise at 16kn and have never had our RV plan stop service.
We didn't bother disabling the motors and it is mostly fine like that. Occasionally we have to cycle off/on to get it to align to the south. If you swing a lot at anchor it goes flat anyway.
We had mini m and iridium go on previous boats but Starlink is miles better.

Put Starlink on the boat last year. Pretty much flawless from Fort Myers, FL, up the East coast, through the Great lakes, and the remote parts of Lake Superior. Voice over internet was perfect both receiving and making calls and texts. Never a problem streaming video.

I have Dishy with the tilt motor disabled, so always parallel to the water. $150 per month, currently hibernating through the winter.

Ted

Amazon is planning selling their satellite service in 2025. The only price I've seen is $400 for the antenna. I have Starlink, it works fine, but competition can't hurt. I'll probably try it.

I have a vested interest in their program and can’t wait for it to be available. Well I guess I can wait because it will be a few years before Kuiper becomes a viable alternative to Starlink.

Put Starlink on the boat last year. Pretty much flawless from Fort Myers, FL, up the East coast, through the Great lakes, and the remote parts of Lake Superior. Voice over internet was perfect both receiving and making calls and texts. Never a problem streaming video.

I have Dishy with the tilt motor disabled, so always parallel to the water. $150 per month, currently hibernating through the winter.

Ted

There were a few references to disabling the "tilt motor". Can someone inform us neophytes why you would do this, what this does to it's performance, and with what plans does this help or hurt. Just don't understand at all. Thanks so much, in advance. Tim

A flat antenna works better while moving. However, we noticed that the antenna goes flat automatically when we move.

On a boat, I see no reason to disable the tilt motor unless you want to mount it flat for aesthetic reasons.

There were a few references to disabling the "tilt motor". Can someone inform us neophytes why you would do this, what this does to it's performance, and with what plans does this help or hurt. Just don't understand at all. Thanks so much, in advance. Tim

No increase in performance, you just do not lose signal when the boat swings on anchor. The antenna takes a breath before it starts searching after a lost connection.
Starlink did not offer a flat mount until the hackers found the go flat solution. Now a flat panel is sold at boat dollars instead of RV dollars for mobile use.

A flat antenna works better while moving. However, we noticed that the antenna goes flat automatically when we move.

On a boat, I see no reason to disable the tilt motor unless you want to mount it flat for aesthetic reasons.

I keep hearing this, which is new. Before it would rotate tilted, now it goes flat, finds a signal and tilts. I will be checking it out next trip. Maybe the flat hack is no longer needed.

First, the satellites aren't located only over the equator, they're over most parts of the earth in low orbit. As the platform (boat) you are on keeps changing direction, especially at anchor, you're more likely to pick up a satellite by the dish pointing straight up. With in the antenna, there is some ability for the antenna to focus on a particular satellite, and while underway, to change satellites. So, from what I understand, looking straight up gives the antenna more satellites to choose from, and in remote areas with less satellites, to be able to electronically point at the available one.

Second, there has to be some energy savings as you swing at anchor, not trying to keep tilting at a fleeting satellite as you swing.

Lastly, when in channels with steep hills or trees, you're much less likely to be obstructed with the antenna pointing straight up as opposed to being angled. This was especially true for me when in the narrow channels with high cliffs of Isle Royale National Park and also when traveling through the Dismal Swamp canal.

Ted

So, you are disabling it because if it's flat, it doesn't need to readjust it's curvature to better focus, but just is faster because it can pickup signal faster if it's flat? Sorry, I'm asking for possibly a more fundamental understanding. Dishy has this ability to move and conform in a static location if it has lost connection due to something like... clouds? To bring other satellite feeds into the mix?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom