Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #61

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Here's a boat I did a while back. Built in the early 1900's as a steam yacht Ilona of Kylesku was up dated over it's many decades in various styles and various levels of quality. We gutted it in it's entirety and I started fresh with it's design and detailing. The boat yard, Southampton Yacht Services, found teak logs to buy that had been underwater for something like 50 years, and it was the good stuff. The interior was more unpainted wood than I personally would typically do, but this was the way the boat was originally built from the bits of original boat that existed. There is not a scrap of veneer on this refit (not that there is anything wrong with that, we just were going for ultimate authenticity).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	39353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona saloon.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	39354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona Master.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	39355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona helm.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	39356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona forepeak-cabin.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	39357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona windlass.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	39358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ilona pflo.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	39359  

Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 AM   #62
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Absolutely stunning, Eric! What beautiful work!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #63
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Ok that's it I'm chunking my wood working tools and my varnish brush. I'll never be this good . Beautiful woodwork and finish . Those sunken logs for years turn into some good looking lumber .
Old 04-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #64
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside Ca
Vessel Name: Tango Bravo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 (1978)
I am truly speechless....
Tango Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #65
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
There are a lot of things to look for in fine woodwork but lumber quality and grain selection is always at the top of the list.For some areas grain selection makes a huge difference on how the finish product will turn out . It's obvious that nothing was overlooked here . For instance in the second picture ,look at the door and how the grain is positioned so it tapers out at the top . This always looks best. A good woodworker can spend a fair amount of time on grain selection .
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside Ca
Vessel Name: Tango Bravo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 (1978)
I have to admit there are a lot of opinions. I am going to go with the lighting first. Upgrade to LED's. Then to the upholstery. That will give the wife something to do. I will update the pics soon.
Tango Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #67
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
That's a beautiful boat and beautiful work you did. But it reminds me of another thing I'm not a fan of, glossy wood interiors. I like the satin look. That much wood in a deep high gloss finish ends up looking like plastic to me.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #68

Thanks Capt. Bill. I personally like a satin finish too. Clients eh?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #69
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
teg...
Your work is stunning! Thanks for taking the time to post & share.
I so some woodworking myself and always interested in seeing others work... but now I feel depressed...
I know I'm an amateur but thought my stuff was OK... I now realize I'm light years away.
Would you share any tips for woodworking aboard boats? glues? finishes? etc

Thanks again... great post
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #70
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. Indeed stunning work. "...woodworking aboard boats? glues? finishes? etc..."

Old 04-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
Thanks Capt. Bill. I personally like a satin finish too. Clients eh?

Hey as long as the check clears.

You might get a kick out of this story. A carpenter friend of mine runs crews on some big refit jobs on 100' plus boats. And the had just finished a big job a 200 or so footer. The owner flew in to look it over. He walked around and was impressed with what he saw and was very complimentary on the quality of the work. At the end of the tour he said there was only one problem that he saw, the entire boat was finished in the wrong wood! Some where along the line there had been a miscommunication and it all had to be torn out and redone. Luckily my friend and his crew had just used the wood they were told to. So someone higher up had dropped the ball.

My friend said the owner was very calm about the whole thing, at least in front of them. But I imagine some one eat a big bill.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
teg...
Your work is stunning! Thanks for taking the time to post & share.
I so some woodworking myself and always interested in seeing others work... but now I feel depressed...
I know I'm an amateur but thought my stuff was OK... I now realize I'm light years away.
Would you share any tips for woodworking aboard boats? glues? finishes? etc

Thanks again... great post
Thank you! But at the risk of lowering myself in your estimation I was only the designer and can not take credit for the great job the wood artists at the boat yard produced.

I was responsible for overall design, joinery details, basically anything the client would come in contact with. As such I do need to know a little about woodwork, desired quality and level of finish.

Sorry if my post misled in anyway.
tegdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Hey as long as the check clears.

You might get a kick out of this story. A carpenter friend of mine runs crews on some big refit jobs on 100' plus boats. And the had just finished a big job a 200 or so footer. The owner flew in to look it over. He walked around and was impressed with what he saw and was very complimentary on the quality of the work. At the end of the tour he said there was only one problem that he saw, the entire boat was finished in the wrong wood! Some where along the line there had been a miscommunication and it all had to be torn out and redone. Luckily my friend and his crew had just used the wood they were told to. So someone higher up had dropped the ball.

My friend said the owner was very calm about the whole thing, at least in front of them. But I imagine some one eat a big bill.
Oh ouch! Hope they had some more jobs lined up since they would have ended up in the hole big-time on that one. They couldn't have even made that up in the barrage of change order fees they all normally invoice at the end of a project!

A good designer or project manager would have caught that mistake in the mockup and design submital stage.
tegdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
Oh ouch! Hope they had some more jobs lined up since they would have ended up in the hole big-time on that one. They couldn't have even made that up in the barrage of change order fees they all normally invoice at the end of a project!

A good designer or project manager would have caught that mistake in the mockup and design submital stage.

They got payed to do it all again since they had only use the type of wood they were told to by the higher ups. But I bet the owner did not foot that second bill.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #75
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
They got payed to do it all again since they had only use the type of wood they were told to by the higher ups. But I bet the owner did not foot that second bill.
Reminds me of the builder I knew of years ago who built a beautiful house, just one little problem. This was out in the country and there was community water. One day the man who owned the water system went to check on it and also on the lot he'd purchased when the developer needed some cash. Well, he stood there a moment, asked a neighbor about the house, then quietly said, "That's going to be either the cheapest house I've ever bought or the most expensive lot Puhn has ever purchased. The builder had obviously forgotten completely until he received a phone call.

Now, as it turns out the land owner was reasonable and the deal made was that when the house sold, he'd let Puhn recover his costs but he'd take all the remainder and all the profit. Puhn was quite relieved that he was able to reach a deal where he didn't lose money.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #76
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
In the first picture of that gorgeous yacht, there is a seagull preparing to do something nasty. If that were my yacht, I would keep it in my living room and admire it all day long. Great job!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #77
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
In the first picture of that gorgeous yacht, there is a seagull preparing to do something nasty. If that were my yacht, I would keep it in my living room and admire it all day long. Great job!
LOL!! If that were my gorgeous yacht, I'd make it my living room and admire it all day long!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 PM   #78
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think it's a fish form hull. The wide fuller part of the hull fwd w a long and slender aft hull. My Willard is otherwise.

All the boats on this thread w bright interiors have white overheads. And of course lots of windows. Passagemakers need not apply.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote