Old 04-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin, Don,
I buy Grand Banks Beige and haven't used it yet in it's pure form. I use it to mix w two other colors to get my own color .. Three Can Tan mostly.

Paint varnish or stain wise we haven't touched our interior teak. We have lots of windows and don't feel the boat is dark inside. Our inside teak looks great and never changes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #42
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I changed out all my interior bulbs with LEDs and was able to free up a breaker in my panel.

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
A much more even balance of painted wood and varnished teak or mahogany would be more authentically traditional and more typical of wood boats from the early 1900's..
This is the way Grand Banks boats were until they started applying teak veneer to all or most of the interior bulkheads sometime in (I think) the 1980s. The bulkheads themselves are mahogany. For many years, Grand Banks Beige (the correct one) was used on the mahogany panels which is accented by bright-finished teak trim, doors, etc. This is the way our 1973 boat is.

It's a much nicer look than the later, more common all-teak (veneer) interior, which is not only darker, but since there's teak everywhere it becomes sort of like wallpaper--- there but not really seen.

First two photos are the aft cabin of our boat. The last two are from our copy of the sales brochure for our vintage of GB. This is how the boats looked when they left the factory (minus the model ). The main cabin of our boat is exactly like this in every respect except an AC/DC refrigerator/freezer has replaced the original ice box under the galley counter and a converted oil lamp hangs in place of the ceiling light over the table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aftcabin4_203.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	39339   Click image for larger version

Name:	aftcabin2_145.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	39340   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB36 1974.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	39344   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB36 1974-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	39345  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #44
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I like the pained wall look much better to the all teak look as well. The all teak look is just to dark for the size of the space for me. The painted look seems cleaner and a bit more modern as well. Even though it's arguably retro.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Why is the model dressed like that on a boat?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Why is the model dressed like that on a boat?
Because it was 1974. People got dressed up to ride on an airplane, too. Today, every flight looks like it's deporting a bunch of homeless people to Detroit, even in business class.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Sort of like Marin's. The Herreshoff look/style. Dark trim with white panels. Lightens dark interiors. Our old woodie had it. Much prefer it to the all teak interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elena-13-big.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	39349  
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #48
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Sort of like Marin's. The Herreshoff look/style. Dark trim with white panels. Lightens dark interiors. Our old woodie had it. Much prefer it to the all teak interiors.
Love that interior,Dave. I liked the exterior of that boat too.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Because it was 1974. People got dressed up to ride on an airplane, too. Today, every flight looks like it's deporting a bunch of homeless people to Detroit, even in business class.
Wifey B: Oooppps....olden days. I wasn't born then.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #50

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
This is the way Grand Banks boats were until they started applying teak veneer to all or most of the interior bulkheads sometime in (I think) the 1980s. The bulkheads themselves are mahogany. For many years, Grand Banks Beige (the correct one) was used on the mahogany panels which is accented by bright-finished teak trim, doors, etc. This is the way our 1973 boat is.

It's a much nicer look than the later, more common all-teak (veneer) interior, which is not only darker, but since there's teak everywhere it becomes sort of like wallpaper--- there but not really seen.

First two photos are the aft cabin of our boat. The last two are from our copy of the sales brochure for our vintage of GB. This is how the boats looked when they left the factory (minus the model ). The main cabin of our boat is exactly like this in every respect except an AC/DC refrigerator/freezer has replaced the original ice box under the galley counter and a converted oil lamp hangs in place of the ceiling light over the table.
Very nice I'm temped to paint some of the larger (teak wallpaper) panels on my boat. But I worry the next person who might like to buy the boat from me will be an "anything wood is holy" person.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Oooppps....olden days. I wasn't born then.

Yeah. You kids have a lot to learn......
Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Ugh, these posts about painting natural wood are giving me an anxiety attack. Painting teak or mahogany - heck, the copper on the Statue of Liberty is kind of an uneven green, let's paint it. If God wanted fine wood to be painted, he would have had trees circulate latex primer instead of tree sap. Painted teak and mahogany - ought to be a felony.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #53
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea and so do we Marin.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #54

Everybody's got an opinion.
One could also say if God wanted steel not to rust my car wouldn't have been painted. I design custom yacht interiors and custom furniture every working day of my life and wood is a means to an end for me. It gets bleached, stained, burnt, varnished, enameled or anything else that fits the look. It doesn't matter the species, walnut, epe, teak, fir, koa...whatever. god created trees but man created lumber for his creative needs
Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Painted teak and mahogany - ought to be a felony.
There's mahogany and there's mahogany. The plywood used to make the bulkheads of boats like Grand Banks is very Plain Jane stuff. No figuring at all, just straight grain boring looking wood. It's good quality wood, but it's the same stuff in appearance that they use in places like China and the Philippines to make shipping crates. I've watched them being made at an aerospace maintenance and modification center in Xiamen, China. You wonder why use mahogany but over there it's readily available and dirt cheap.

Even with a varnish, oil, etc. finish it's really boring-looking wood in terms of it's appearance. In fact, what it would look like in a boat is an interior that's been painted a uniformly blah, cheap-looking brown color. Which is why it's either painted a real color on the earlier Grand Banks or covered with teak veneer on the later ones.

I'd probably not be inclined to paint teak veneer even if I wanted the painted panel look for the reason tegdesign mentioned a couple of posts ago. This is assuming it's nice teak veneer. This could affect the resale value if one was concerned about that. A lot of boat buyers these days seem to equate an all-teak interior with their image of a "real" boat.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #56
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Ugh, these posts about painting natural wood are giving me an anxiety attack. Painting teak or mahogany - heck, the copper on the Statue of Liberty is kind of an uneven green, let's paint it. If God wanted fine wood to be painted, he would have had trees circulate latex primer instead of tree sap. Painted teak and mahogany - ought to be a felony.
God didn't peel the trees to make the veneer, man did. And latex actually is from trees.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
If this is veneer, I'm fooled/impressed.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #58

framing and louvres (solid lumber) The rest, probably even the teak and holly, would be nice quality veneer.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If this is veneer, I'm fooled/impressed.
Teak veneer is real teak, it's just real thin teak. But in appearance, it can look no different than solid teak. The only thing you see with solid wood is the outside, which is the only thing you see with veneer.

Things like the door and panel frames and probably the door panels, louvers, etc. in your photo are most certainly solid teak. The veneer would just be used on the bulkhead surfaces and perhaps the flooring.

Given the price of teak these days, even plantation teak, veneer makes sense on the bulkheads, sidewalls, etc. if you want to keep the price of a boat even remotely competitive. Make all that stuff out of solid teak and the engine(s) start looking cheap by comparison.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
framing and louvres (solid lumber) The rest, probably even the teak and holly, would be nice quality veneer.
Yes, according to the builder it's "teak veneer with solid teak trim, doors and drawer fronts."