City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Too much?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Well, at great risk to myself, I will offer a paint suggestion. Interlux has a paint that looks dynamite on interior surfaces. It's called Grand Banks Beige, and with teak frames, doors, and accents it is a smashing look. It will also lighten the room without giving the white look. Just a suggestion. Don't forget to get "warm white" LEDs.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Bravo View Post
Cardude that is what I am thinking of for replacements. Only need the fixtures as well.
Anyone want to buy original jeweled glass lighting fixtures to fund my LED project?
Has anyone just replaced the bulbs with LED conversions? BTW I have 16 fixtures for sale..

Yep.
LED's, thus far.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside Ca
Vessel Name: Tango Bravo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 (1978)
RTF, I have an old stage light that uses a 500w bulb. That may work but I have to admit, I love the sailing hanging light. Bwhahaha
Tango Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I was just taking about replacing the bulbs. Why do you have to get all new fixtures?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
The salon seating is dark paisley red from Dracula's House of Fabric. So updating the cushions is something I plan on doing as well. Might even take it out along with lower helm and place a light colored sectional along starboard side. Other trawler owners said I should keep it original. But they don't make the payments. JS
Wifey B: You'll be amazed what that will do. Even tossing some pillows onto the casket like seats can bring the body back to life.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I am going to look into replacing the bulbs first cardude. If it looks good, then I will go with it.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Pillows may work, but its time to retire the "casket seating"
Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #29
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I have just done a small makeover on the mighty Sarawana, to bring her up a bit.I have the usual combination of Teak & Teak with Teak trimmings.

What I did , & I am very pleased with the effect was to replace all the lights with Warm LED's and also use Strip LED's under the counter top lips, these strip LED's are as cheap as chips easy to install and pick up the Teak beautifully when on.

The trick is to install then so you cannot see the directly when the power is on, what you get is that diffused indirect light, looks great.

Mind that is only good for night time, so if you want to lighten it in day light, maybe some soft cushion colour as Wifey B said. At the risk of incurring RT Firefly's wrath I have to agree with Don, I have seen some very good paint jobs on Teak. Especially where they use the light paint to pick up the Teak, that is not painting the whole cabinet say but the inner panel leaving the Original teak to frame the paint.

Cripes I am starting to sound like an interior decorator!
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #30

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
we replaced all nav & exterior/interior lights to led, man that was no cheap. Don't mention candle power, RT will have something so off the wall it'll hurt eyes reading it. Holly crap, I did't read all the comments - he did cover it!
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Well, at great risk to myself, I will offer a paint suggestion. Interlux has a paint that looks dynamite on interior surfaces. It's called Grand Banks Beige,.
Here is what Grand Banks Beige looks like on a Grand Banks (ours). Petit also makes this color. GB Beige has a slight greenish tinge that some people don't like but we do. It was an original factory color for American Marine on their Grand Banks boats for many years.

Right now GB Beige from Interlux is hard to come by because the plant that used to make it is shut down and the new plant that's going to make it isn't making it yet.

Fisheries Supply in Seattle has been back-ordered for months on the Interlux paint. They have the Petit paint in stock, so we bought a can last Saturday as we have some painting to do inside the boat. We'll see how it compares in color to the Interlux product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GB Beige.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	39214  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
If more light was needed, we'd open more curtains.

Having a light-colored ceiling can lighten up a dark-wood interior. The set of four ceiling LED light fixtures provides plenty of light during dark hours. Rope lights in the curtain valances can be used when ambiance is required. There are also small "reading" lights in the saloon's corners.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #33

City: Bohemia
That's why I do not use teak oil. It darkens the teak. Try denatured alcohol, it removes the oil. Then some fine sand paper, 220 or more. If not, try that bleaching stuff, it starts with an X. It's a powder and you use a wet sponge or scuffy pad.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Oxalic acid?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Any bleaching and sanding needs to be done very carefully on any veneered surfaces or you burn right through the veneer.

Personally I'd paint the walls and leave the trim in teak.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Cardude that is what I am thinking of for replacements. Only need the fixtures as well.
Anyone want to buy original jeweled glass lighting fixtures to fund my LED project?
Has anyone just replaced the bulbs with LED conversions? BTW I have 16 fixtures for sale..

Yes, definitely. No need to replace the fixtures unless you simply want to.
I have done my boat in LED completely now with replacement bulbs.
There are numerous vendors that have suitable bulbs. Dr LED, Superbright LEDs, Marinebeam, etc., etc.

Just keep a sample of what you now have at hand and spend some time on the websites. Many chandleries are now offering stock on hand. Although somewhat pricier you can compare "bulb" to "bulb".
Watch the colours , ie. cool vs warm white. Cool can be harsh sometimes.
I used the warm white.

My very old fixtures required an adapter to get from the B15 twin pin to an acceptable bulb but it all works and well. Better light, lots less current draw and with the voltage regulated bulbs the brightness does not change with normal battery voltage changes.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Fisheries Supply in Seattle has been back-ordered for months on the Interlux paint. They have the Petit paint in stock, so we bought a can last Saturday as we have some painting to do inside the boat. We'll see how it compares in color to the Interlux product.
So just a quick follow-up to this. Today we tried the Petit Grand Banks Beige. It's pathetic. It has no resemblance to actual Grand Banks Beige at all. For all practical purposes, it's almost pure white.

Some of the interior surfaces of our boat have the original paint as applied by American Marine in 1973. Interlux Brightside Grand Banks Beige is a very close match to this. The Petit paint is totally different, as I say, almost white. The only thing I can assume is that the colorists at Petit have never actually seen Grand Banks Beige and are simply using the name for one of their slightly off-white tints.

Fortunately Defender has the Interlux Brightside in stock so we ordered two cans. The Petit paint is off to the dumpster.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #38

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
A vote for marinebeam. Replaced our 10 overhead bulbs...the new ones fit perfectly. Warm white and very bright. I'm going to rewire my 110v reading lamps into the DC cicuit and use 12v led bulbs. Cuts out the inverter middleman when we're on the hook. Makes a big difference in cabin brightness. Although now I can see how shabby the cushions are. Sometimes darker is better.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #39

City: Oakland,Ca
My boat has something like those G4 LEDS in all of the original fixtures, and I love it. They don't heat up, so they can just rest on the glass and the light is great. I've done a c oupke.of sailboats in the past by replacing the bulbs with a set of lower candle power LEDS I got at Ikea. They come in six packs for like 40 dollars. You throw out the transformer and solder the little stick - up lights in the fixtures. Perfect fix to save power, and the light is perfect.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #40

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Most of our boats are clad in teak ply veneer which has become a traditional look by default because of construction expediency and lack of designer input at the yards. A much more even balance of painted wood and varnished teak or mahogany would be more authentically traditional and more typical of wood boats from the early 1900's. I prefer that look, and can understand why some would want to paint some of their wood. The problem with that is that they weren't detailed in a traditional way which would give us clear and proportional lines from which to start and stop paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	319320_390142117701050_1964461476_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	39336   Click image for larger version

Name:	575798_480297928685468_1497850260_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	39337