interior spaces on trawler types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"couldn't care less, can't (and don't want to) see it from the inside, don't even know what model of aircraft I'm flying in at any given time"

Considering the Air Bust crash record this is brave indeed!

"couldn't care less, can't (and don't want to) see it from the inside, don't even know what model of aircraft I'm flying in at any given time"

Note my next sentence started with "Safety..." :)

-Chris

I used to fly Frontier Airlines every other week from FL to Denver. I would have preferred Boeing but from what an insider told me, Frontier got some low cost money that wasn't available on Boeing aircraft so it made sense to go Airbus, at least on paper, in the short term.

I think most airline passengers care more about in-flight meals that what aircraft they are flying. Safety is a big concern, legroom, and price are probably up there near the top.

Great thread. When I originally chose our boat, i liked the lines of the boat without the FB. Now, after almost 2 years of boating with only the PH, I long for a FB, especially during warm weather when I want to be outside underway. During the warm months of summer, I find the PH stuffy and hot. Often , Ill program a route i. The nav system and sit up there for a bit to enjoy the sun and breeze, but I never relax much as I am not comfortable being away from the helm controls, especially the throttle. I find myself sitting down for a minute or do then traversing back and forth from the foredeck into the PH to check everything is in order. If there is a next boat in our future, it will definitely have a FB.

Speaking of the Seattle Boat Show, 3 boats really stood out for me regarding use of interior space for our family needs. Our favorite was the kk48, the others were the seahorse marine 46 (i think it was 46) and the Selene 40ish offered by NW explorations.

Speaking of the Seattle Boat Show, 3 boats really stood out for me regarding use of interior space for our family needs. Our favorite was the kk48, the others were the seahorse marine 46 (i think it was 46) and the Selene 40ish offered by NW explorations.

47' Selene which is actually 51' 9" LOA.

47' Selene which is actually 51' 9" LOA.
Magic-Morning-Chatterbox-Falls.jpg

FB or bridge deck? Looks good to me either way. AS BandB pointed out, its a lot bigger than I thought it was, originally.

Below are the original drawings of Gikumi. She doesn't appear in the least awkward to me. I don't think the addition of the modern flying bridge did anything for her looks, but that's a subjective view. I did limit the passengers allowed on the upper decks to 6 plus one crew, to meet stability regulations.

Gikumiprofile.jpg

Gikumiconstruction.jpg

It's all a matter of taste. For instance I think Peter's boat looks very nice, but I don't like the looks of the Healhustler version without bridge at all.

Yeah, and I'm not a fan of the Gikumi addition but I love the GB flying bridge, though I do think that a full canvas up there can be a bit much.

Keith

I will never be able to un-think Fred's term of oxygen tent.

Jet guys...used to thin air (and noticeable side effects) :D

It's all a matter of taste. For instance I think Peter's boat looks very nice, but I don't like the looks of the Healhustler version without bridge at all.

Ah well...just as well it has to stay then, I guess... ;)

We have a full flybridge enclosure, it's ugly as hell...but it keeps the weather out when needed. A bimini top is actually nice looking on our boat but not effective.

***that pic was taken just after we got it in the water after 2 years on the hard, loose lines and all.

image.jpg

I would like to add more interior space aft on ours, but not sure how without making it look goofy .

I would think that you could extend the house line aft to the uprights, then across the beam with a slider door, leaving a usable cockpit....with a transom door!

profilepic4870_5.gif

Last edited:
"I would like to add more interior space aft on ours, but not sure how without making it look goofy ."

Why worry , you cant see the boat when your on it .

Just chainsaw all the "lifestyle" before listing it.

I would like to add more interior space aft on ours, but not sure how without making it look goofy .

And why do you care if it looks goofy if it works? That's like those critical of flybridge enclosures. Well, the enclosed boater is nice and warm and dry while the one who doesn't do it over appearance isn't. The easiest and cheapest way to add space aft is a full camper type enclosure. Also has the flexibility of being open when desired. Looks goofy until you're seen relaxing on the enclosed aft deck and enjoying yourself.

Not sure I would say canvas enclosures by the better canvas makers are the "cheapest way"...they can be painfully expensive if done well.

That's why you see so many home made enclosures of plywood and plexi Some pretty nice)...and one of the reasons you see no full enclosure (upper) on my boat.

Not sure I would say canvas enclosures by the better canvas makers are the "cheapest way"...they can be painfully expensive if done well.

That's why you see so many home made enclosures of plywood and plexi Some pretty nice)...and one of the reasons you see no full enclosure (upper) on my boat.

Cheaper than a new boat? Your point is well made. Still they're a good way to accomplish it.

usually for boaters... canvas quote = sticker shock.

Isn't that the truth!!! I fear the replacement of my canvas/isinglass!!!

And honestly, my boat looks weird(er) without the canvas on it. Probably just the way we are conditioned since most boats have canvas.

Isn't that the truth!!! I fear the replacement of my canvas/isinglass!!!

And honestly, my boat looks weird(er) without the canvas on it. Probably just the way we are conditioned since most boats have canvas.

Baker - That goes for bikinis too!! :dance:

I would think that you could extend the house line aft to the uprights, then across the beam with a slider door, leaving a usable cockpit....with a transom door!

profilepic4870_5.gif

Marty: Here's William with a Nordic Tug 26 cabin. William would be an great candidate for an enclosed cabin.

Attachments

• William with Nordic cabin.jpg
    William with Nordic cabin.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thanks Larry , that's cool looking . I could cut out the deck and gain some headroom with two steps down from the pilothouse . There is a ton of room under that deck and keep the side decks like a Europa .That would give us about 70 sq ft more of indoor space and still have about 60 sq ft of aft deck . I just listed it here in classified . If we don't sell it we might take this on .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom