Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #141
Scraping Paint

City: -
Okay, back to stuff that's actually relevant.

As I had speculated earlier, turns out the Gikumi was not constructed with a flying bridge. Here are some shots of her as-built. So Jim added the flying bridge after he started using her in his whale watching venture. Don't know if he designed it or had someone design it for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he built it, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gikumi 1A.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	48668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gikumi 2A.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	48669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gikumi 3A.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	48670  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #142
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
The one thing I have noticed is you northern boys get all antsy when you can't get out on the boats, so I am hoping for clear weather soon so we can get back to people helping people in this forum.
You got that right, I think. It's been particularly frustrating for us because we normally use the boat all winter. But it's been laid up and in and out of the yard dealing with a couple of very frustrating and complex problems since the end of August and we only just this last week got it back after the resolution of what we hope is the final issue.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #143
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
PS. Hey Heals, if you're there and see this, would you have a go at taking my flybridge off. Then I'd have one with wannabe windows and one sans flybridge...
Got 'em ready. Sent you PM.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #144
Guru

Having boated many years on the East Coast and now 18 years in the PNW I see more use for the East Coast FB except maybe the ICW where the bugs were so thick screens were needed for the pilot house. In the PNW most of the year its wet and cool thus the ugly high wind age full enclosure. I am not a great fan of the high pilot house but I think it a much better solution than the pilot house and an enclosed FB on top.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #145
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, coming back to Gikumi, although the addition of the rudimentary flybridge did add a lot to its functionality as a whale-watching boat, so the skipper had a higher vantage point to spot them from, it does not offend, precisely because of its rudimentary nature. That is, clearly just an outside elevated conning position. However, compared to the original (we are lucky to have to compare with), it did not enhance its lines in my view. I loved the interior layout though. Just reeks of real boat. Makes me want to get aboard.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #146
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Got 'em ready. Sent you PM.
Wow, thanks Larry (Healhustler). Those are just too good not to share. I don't mind if folk pass judgement either way, because we are clearly just flying kites here. But boy would that set-up be so much easier to chase down leaks and lay out extra solar panels. Hey, like that, without F/B, I even think the wannabe window version might have the edge, what do others think..?

PS, I'm hoping what I did this morning might have solved my leak issue - fingers crossed...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	peterBwithoutfly.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	48674   Click image for larger version

Name:	peterBwithoutflywannabe.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	48675  
Old 02-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #147
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, understanding is a large part of being here. I try to understand. Some things then I just have to accept. Sometimes I can hear the words and intellectually understand but I can't feel what the other person is feeling, I can't put myself in their place, I can't empathize. So, different levels of understanding.
I understand that I feel more mentally accomplished when I can expand my understand-quotient by perceiving another person's different understanding than mine. To understand via vicariously being able to set oneself into another's "position" of understanding, without actually being in that person's understanding's actual physical or mental place, enables capability to gain more capabilities to understand life outside of one's own domain.

With each success in understanding others' position[s] on topics there comes greater freedom for further successes toward ongoing outside-oneself understandings.

Understand?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #148
Scraping Paint

Quote:
However, compared to the original (we are lucky to have to compare with), it did not enhance its lines in my view.
A lot of major changes were made to Gikumi in its conversion. The piothouse was extended aft and an entire new cabin was added behind it. I think the flying bridge adds to the aesthetics of the "new" boat.

In it's original workboat form I think Gikumi looks a little awkward. Obviously a flying bridge stuck on top of the pilothouse in its original configuration would have looked bizarre. But I think it's a nice design element for the boat as it is today even if one had little reason to use it.

And as I've said many times before, I'm not anti-flying bridge. I just won't drive a boat from one. But as a place to relax and enjoy one's surroundings I think they're great regardless of their aesthetics.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #149
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Wow, thanks Larry (Healhustler). Those are just too good not to share. I don't mind if folk pass judgement either way, because we are clearly just flying kites here. But boy would that set-up be so much easier to chase down leaks and lay out extra solar panels. Hey, like that, without F/B, I even think the wannabe window version might have the edge, what do others think..?

PS, I'm hoping what I did this morning might have solved my leak issue - fingers crossed...
I like it with the wannabe windows. Although I would prefer the brim (front roof line) extending further forward. While it may not be as astetically pleasing, it very functional for rain and as a sun visor.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #150
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
BandB-- At the risk of upsetting Al again, I can tell you that the design of a plane plays a huge role in the marketing of an airline. A number of airline CEOs and marketing managers have told me in the course of interviews how passengers are blown away by the shape and look of the 787's wings and what they do during flight. It's one of the most positively commented upon features of the plane in passenger surveys the world over. Passengers have commented that they select window seats just so they can watch them.

I'm with B on this one: couldn't care less, can't (and don't want to) see it from the inside, don't even know what model of aircraft I'm flying in at any given time (other than when learning the safety precautions). Safety, on-time-ness (?), decent terminal operations, etc. If they can make a tin can fly, works for me.

Different for boats. Looks matter somewhat more there, for me. I'm not attracted to anything that looks Italian -- nor even anything that sounds like it was probably named by an Italian ("Fly" for example). I think I have an Italian stomach and Italian wines are usually highest on our list, I loved Italy and the people I met there, but when it comes to boats and when given a choice I prefer "Down East" or similar.

More "different strokes."

-Chris
Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #151
FF
Guru

"couldn't care less, can't (and don't want to) see it from the inside, don't even know what model of aircraft I'm flying in at any given time"

Considering the Air Bust crash record this is brave indeed!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #152
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"couldn't care less, can't (and don't want to) see it from the inside, don't even know what model of aircraft I'm flying in at any given time"

Note my next sentence started with "Safety..."

-Chris
Old 02-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #153
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

I used to fly Frontier Airlines every other week from FL to Denver. I would have preferred Boeing but from what an insider told me, Frontier got some low cost money that wasn't available on Boeing aircraft so it made sense to go Airbus, at least on paper, in the short term.

I think most airline passengers care more about in-flight meals that what aircraft they are flying. Safety is a big concern, legroom, and price are probably up there near the top.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #154
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Great thread. When I originally chose our boat, i liked the lines of the boat without the FB. Now, after almost 2 years of boating with only the PH, I long for a FB, especially during warm weather when I want to be outside underway. During the warm months of summer, I find the PH stuffy and hot. Often , Ill program a route i. The nav system and sit up there for a bit to enjoy the sun and breeze, but I never relax much as I am not comfortable being away from the helm controls, especially the throttle. I find myself sitting down for a minute or do then traversing back and forth from the foredeck into the PH to check everything is in order. If there is a next boat in our future, it will definitely have a FB.

Speaking of the Seattle Boat Show, 3 boats really stood out for me regarding use of interior space for our family needs. Our favorite was the kk48, the others were the seahorse marine 46 (i think it was 46) and the Selene 40ish offered by NW explorations.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:53 AM   #155
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post

Speaking of the Seattle Boat Show, 3 boats really stood out for me regarding use of interior space for our family needs. Our favorite was the kk48, the others were the seahorse marine 46 (i think it was 46) and the Selene 40ish offered by NW explorations.
47' Selene which is actually 51' 9" LOA.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #156
TF Site Team

Quote:
Love those Selenes...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #157
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:

FB or bridge deck? Looks good to me either way. AS BandB pointed out, its a lot bigger than I thought it was, originally.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #158
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Below are the original drawings of Gikumi. She doesn't appear in the least awkward to me. I don't think the addition of the modern flying bridge did anything for her looks, but that's a subjective view. I did limit the passengers allowed on the upper decks to 6 plus one crew, to meet stability regulations.

Name:	Gikumiprofile.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	48702

Name:	Gikumiconstruction.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	48703
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #159
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's all a matter of taste. For instance I think Peter's boat looks very nice, but I don't like the looks of the Healhustler version without bridge at all.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #160
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Yeah, and I'm not a fan of the Gikumi addition but I love the GB flying bridge, though I do think that a full canvas up there can be a bit much.

Keith