Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #81
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Respecting other's opinions as much as possible, I will never understand the animosity toward flybridges. Truly people see the world differently than I do but, with the exception of people who boat in cold climates, some of the reasons put forth against flybridges are laughable.

Fresh air and exposure to nature when you want it; if not, zip up the canvas or go to the lower helm . . . or put on some frickin' sunscreen or a heavier coat. Enjoy total piece and quiet . . . we can hardly hear the engines. Fantastic sight lines . . . certainly better than the raised pilot houses I've been in . . . and the ability to see much farther on the water, including navigational hazards. Acres of room for entertaining. Monitors to tell us if there is a malfunction somewhere.

None of this, I thoroughly realize, will change a single made-up mind . . . and I'm not trying to. But as for me, you can have my flybridge when you pry my cold, dead fingers . . .

(Sister ship; I don't have a comparable angle on ours.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	48587  

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #82
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Chris Crafts have been hit or miss for decades...each year and model deserve close inspection....generally a pretty decent boat and I have seen some nice yacht homes.

As far as flying bridges, pilothouses and all other space utilization....IT'S ONLY PERSONAL OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

I can see and argue against every point ever made. Until you are a boater, either pro or recreational and have run hundreds ofdifferent kinds of bots...just how much is that opinion worth to anyone but yourself?

Maybe nothing to the general boating population and yet 100% for the person posting it. And that's OK...post it...but realize it may be an opinion of 1 of 10,000...or even more....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -
In my opinion, besides being a crappy place to drive a boat from for the reasons I've already stated, a flying bridge generally ruins the lines of an orherwise good looking boat. Grand Banks is a good example of this. There have been photos posted here in the past of a GB that's had its flying bridge removed. What a good looking boat as opposed to the clunky, top-heavy appearance of the stock vessel.

And I believe at some point Healhustler expertly renoved the flying bridge from our own GB36 with the graphics programs he uses. Far, far better looking boat in my and my wife's opinions.

And if we can't hear our engines, we've got a serious problem on our hands.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #84
Guru

May or may not apply to 99% of other boaters and certainly not the GB marketing department.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #85
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
May or may not apply to 99% of other boaters and certainly not the GB marketing department.
Very true. But I found it interesting how many GB owners I know personally or are/were on the GB owners forum who upon seeing the photos of the GB that had its flying bridge removed and a proper house top put in its place remarked how much better looking and balanced the boat looks over the stock configuration.

Not that these folks would want the flying bridges on their own GBs removed as a lot of these folks like and use them. We wouldn't want ours removed either. While we both feel it's a bad place to be driving a boat from it is a nice place to relax, read, have a meal, etc. once we get to where we're going. And on the rare occasions we have guests they sometimes like to ride up there while we're underway if it's not too cold for them.

So you're absolutely correct in that it's a good feature to design into a boat from a marketing perspective. However we think the majority of the flying bridge designs are pretty grotesque aesthetically. Two notable exceptions are Krogen, who very cleverly designed it as an element of the aft end of the raised pilothouse, and Fleming who did the same thing on some of their models.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #86
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In my opinion, besides being a crappy place to drive a boat from for the reasons I've already stated, a flying bridge generally ruins the lines of an orherwise good looking boat. Grand Banks is a good example of this. There have been photos posted here in the past of a GB that's had its flying bridge removed. What a good looking boat as opposed to the clunky, top-heavy appearance of the stock vessel.

And I believe at some point Healhustler expertly renoved the flying bridge from our own GB36 with the graphics programs he uses. Far, far better looking boat in my and my wife's opinions.

And if we can't hear our engines, we've got a serious problem on our hands.
There are sound, sight and odor/smell surveillance systems for that if nervousness prevails... while being on bridge.

That first scare you and wife had when on bridge, being new to boating, and your wife then went below... must have been a corker!! I sure don't blame you for liking to pilot from below (for any reason you have given)... just wish I (and other TF members) could help you "see da Light! - LOL

Happy Boat-Piloting Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #87
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

There is also a low corner I bonk on a lot. I hate it, but we had to compromise stateroom space for much greater living space. It works for us. :-)
Hmmm, Perhaps the mattress is starting to sag. I'm glad it works for you, Tom.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #88
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
There are sound, sight and odor/smell surveillance systems for that if nervousness prevails... while being on bridge.
Clearly you have no clue as to the realities of warning systems. The reality is that electronic and electrical components are designed to fail first in order to protect their fuses or circuit breakers. Water pump impellers are designed to fail first so as not to over-stress the waterfow sensors.. Engines are dsigned to seize first to avoid endangering the integrity of the oil pressure sensors and alarms. And so on.

The vast majority of problems with a new model jetliner that cause delays or cancellations are due to faulty warning sensors or systems. Most of the time troubleshooting finds that the airplane component or system is just fine: the hiccup is with the warnng system associated with it.

Reducing the incidents of delays and cancellations with a new model of plane like the 787 or A350 is more about fixing or redesigning the warning systems than the airplane itself.

Having experienced numerous incidents of sometimes serious problems occuring without the activation of a warning system-- be it with vehicles/heavy equipment, airplanes or boats--- I learned a long time ago not to rely on warning systems alone. They're nice to have, but like the equipment they protect they are susceptible to not functioning when you need them to the most.

So I, like the operators, pilots, and boaters I have come to respect the most over the years, have learned to augment automatic warning systems with other means of being aware of what's going on. Among these are sound, smell, and feel.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #89
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Clearly you have no clue as to the realities of warning systems. The reality is that electronic and electrical components are designed to fail first in order to protect their fuses or circuit breakers. Water pump impellers are designed to fail first so as not to over-stress the waterfow sensors.. Engines are dsigned to seize first to avoid endangering the integrity of the oil pressure sensors and alarms. And so on.

The vast majority of problems with a new model jetliner that cause delays or cancellations are due to faulty warning sensors or systems. Most of the time troubleshooting finds that the airplane component or system is just fine: the hiccup is with the warnng system associated with it.

Reducing the incidents of delays and cancellations with a new model of plane like the 787 or A350 is more about fixing or redesigning the warning systems than the airplane itself.

Having experienced numerous incidents of sometimes serious problems occuring without the activation of a warning system-- be it with vehicles/heavy equipment, airplanes or boats--- I learned a long time ago not to rely on warning systems alone. They're nice to have, but like the equipment they protect they are susceptible to not functioning when you need them to the most.

So I, like the operators, pilots, and boaters I have come to respect the most over the years, have learned to augment automatic warning systems with other means of being aware of what's going on. Among these are sound, smell, and feel.

Paranoia strikes deep!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #90
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One's needs change over time too and sometimes aren't what we anticipate. I've seen parents anticipate their adult kids joining them regularly and they seldom do. However, I've seen other kids bring friends constantly and join and then many grandchildren. As to regular cruising partners, so much depends on your friends and their current lives. Our friends love to join us but most are limited by work. If you're older you may have retired friends who are free to join you but just aren't into boats.

Then there's anticipating your own aging. Likes and dislikes change, health changes, and capabilities change. I know one couple that sleeps in their salon and never goes to the lower deck because she isn't able to go up and down steps. They added a wet shower to their day head. They still love to boat but it's helm galley, dinette, salon, aft deck. Except for the engine room might as well be one deck.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #91
Guru

interior spaces on trawler types

"As far as flying bridges, pilothouses and all other space utilization....IT'S ONLY PERSONAL OPINION!!!!!!!!!!"

I get that. It's the rationale . . . and rationalizations . . . behind those opinions I don't understand. That's my opinion. : )
Old 02-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
"As far as flying bridges, pilothouses and all other space utilization....IT'S ONLY PERSONAL OPINION!!!!!!!!!!"

I get that. It's the rationale . . . and rationalizations . . . behind those opinions I don't understand. That's my opinion. : )
But you don't have to understand. They don't have to explain. You try to understand and if you still don't, you move on.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:

Yep...this site is full of rationalizations based on things that I sometime wonder if its all a dream.

I must really live in Kansas and I have never been on or near a boat.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #94
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Two notable exceptions are Krogen, who very cleverly designed it as an element of the aft end of the raised pilothouse, and Fleming who did the same thing on some of their models.

If I recall from my younger years correctly, these were called "bridge decks" not "flying bridges"

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #95
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
If I recall from my younger years correctly, these were called "bridge decks" not "flying bridges"

Ted

The boat owners called them flying bridges so I assumed that's what the manufacturers considered them to be. If the correct term is "bridge deck" that's cool. But regardless of the name hung on it, it's a terrific idea for several reasons.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #96
Scraping Paint

Quote:
It's the rationale . . . and rationalizations . . . behind those opinions I don't understand. That's my opinion. : )

The bottom line is that whatever you happen to think about how another boater prefers to operate his or her boat, your opinion is 100 percent irrelevant.

My wife and I have easily definable and very tangible reasons for operating our boat the way we do. They make total sense to us (and to a fair number of other boaters we've met who do much the same thing). We do not understand why other boaters do what they do, but as long as they don't actually run into us, we couldn't care less what they do. We don't discuss it, we don't try to analyze it, we simply don't think about them or their boats at all.

We're interested in the why's of how we run our boat. We have no interest whatsoever in the why's of how you run yours.

If you don't understand why what we or anyone else does, it doesn't matter. We certainly don't care that you don't understand, and I doubt anyone else does either.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
The bottom line is that whatever you happen to think about how another boater prefers to operate his or her boat, your opinion is 100 percent irrelevant.

My wife and I have easily definable and very tangible reasons for operating our boat the way we do. They make total sense to us (and to a fair number of other boaters we've met who do much the same thing). We do not understand why other boaters do what they do, but as long as they don't actually run into us, we couldn't care less what they do. We don't discuss it, we don't try to analyze it, we simply don't think about them or their boats at all.

We're interested in the why's of how we run our boat. We have no interest whatsoever in the why's of how you run yours.

If you don't understand why what we or anyone else does, it doesn't matter. We certainly don't care that you don't understand, and I doubt anyone else does either.
Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day. Opinions? I doubt there's anyone on this forum who's more assertive with their opinions--lecturing pronouncements actually--except maybe your dog. Whether it can penetrate your pomposity or not, opinions are what this forum is about . . . you've said as much yourself when you ridicule this forum and those who post here. I'm under no delusions what my opinions are worth . . . no more or less than anyone else's. You're welcome to disagree with anything I post, but spare us the hypocrisy.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But you don't have to understand. They don't have to explain. You try to understand and if you still don't, you move on.
Yes, I don't have to understand . . . but I'd like to. (And I don't require anyone to explain.) Understanding is why most of us frequent forums like this, no? I would think someone as intellectually curious as you seem to be would agree.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #99
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
As a former open-cockpit sailor and backpacker, I much prefer operating from within a pilothouse and don't miss the absence of a flying bridge. I've had my share of direct sunlight and biting/burning temperatures.
Not to mention, I disdain the exaggerated motion/roll and the 7-foot climb/descent of an elevated bridge.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I don't have to understand . . . but I'd like to. (And I don't require anyone to explain.) Understanding is why most of us frequent forums like this, no? I would think someone as intellectually curious as you seem to be would agree.
Yes, understanding is a large part of being here. I try to understand. Some things then I just have to accept. Sometimes I can hear the words and intellectually understand but I can't feel what the other person is feeling, I can't put myself in their place, I can't empathize. So, different levels of understanding.