Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

Interesting trawler

Saw this vessel at the dock today. I was told it was built at Nanaimo boatyards in B.C. She appears to be all aluminum, around 60'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific song.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	13159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific song aft deck.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	13160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific song dolphins.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	13161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific song stern.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	13162  

Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
A beautiful boat; I've wandered around it a number of times at the dock in Campbell River, which I think is its home berth. Appears to be well thought out.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Beautiful? I'd only go so far as as describing it utilitarian in appearance.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Looks very salty and seaworthy!
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Built in Tacoma in 2004 out of steel.

Vessel Registration Query System
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Built in Tacoma in 2004 out of steel.

Vessel Registration Query System
She has an aluminum striker plate for the Forfjord anchor, and it looked to be welded onto the hull. I wonder if the registry is correct as to the steel construction, but I assume so, and I haven't seen anything like that before. I'll take my magnet over......
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
She was built by a guy that lived in Port Townsend for a bunch of years, he also had the concession for the fuel dock here. Bill built a number of those hulls, and a few of different design .. one I know he was commissioned to build was a Roberts 43 trawler. He built one in about a year, then he ran it down to Cabo.. out to the Marquesas.. up to hawaii... and back to Port Townsend in seven months for a shake down cruise. There is a sister ship to this one ( Mv. Pacific ) that the P.T Shipwrights added about 12' to the foredeck and dumped a literal boat load of cash into a few years ago. Another of his boats was involved in a covered marina fire years ago on Lake Union and was pretty trashed.. It ended up back here in P.T. as a bare hull that needed a complete new deck, house and everything else. It had a big Cat in it... it sold for about 3 grand and was scrapped... I really looked hard at a complete rebuild of the hull ... but I had a moment of enlightenment and ran the opposite direction. To my knowledge all his hulls were steel.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
A picture of the Pacific is on for the advertisement of Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op in the Northwest Yachting.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
She was built by a guy that lived in Port Townsend for a bunch of years, he also had the concession for the fuel dock here. Bill built a number of those hulls, and a few of different design .. one I know he was commissioned to build was a Roberts 43 trawler. He built one in about a year, then he ran it down to Cabo.. out to the Marquesas.. up to hawaii... and back to Port Townsend in seven months for a shake down cruise. There is a sister ship to this one ( Mv. Pacific ) that the P.T Shipwrights added about 12' to the foredeck and dumped a literal boat load of cash into a few years ago. Another of his boats was involved in a covered marina fire years ago on Lake Union and was pretty trashed.. It ended up back here in P.T. as a bare hull that needed a complete new deck, house and everything else. It had a big Cat in it... it sold for about 3 grand and was scrapped... I really looked hard at a complete rebuild of the hull ... but I had a moment of enlightenment and ran the opposite direction. To my knowledge all his hulls were steel.
HOLLYWOOD
Do you know how they affixed the aluminum to the bow? Perhaps just 5200, but I thought I saw weld lines. I remember now seeing the m/v Pacific in Friday Harbor and talking to the owner about the addition of 12' just forward of the bridge. Sounded expensive.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Beautiful?

I agree w Mark. And PG I'll go for the salty but I'd like to see her bottom before pronouncing her seaworthy. But yes she looks seaworthy in the pic.

Re Marin's feelings about fwd slanted pilothouse windows this one would look less like a toy w windows more vertical. But if you're running downwind in the rain those windows may stay almost dry. So may my windows on Willy. Delfin's windows look really right to me.

Delfin got it right "interesting trawler". As does Griffin (as shown).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all to 12-15-09 533 copy 2.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	13172  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Margaritaville
Vessel Model: Wittholz 40 Passage
Love it - she is beautiful! It's all in the lines; utilitarian or not....
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I gotta stop looking at this stuff.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Yummmmmm - - - >>>> !!!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
.... about fwd slanted pilothouse windows this one would look less like a toy w windows more vertical.
When your wheelhouse windows are so far aft, forward raking is not so much for seakeeping safety but more so for being able to oversee a working weatherdeck.
If she is not a working boat, and the wheelhouse is so far aft, raking the windscreen backwards in yacht fashion is quite acceptable.
If you have to worry about boarding seas damage impacting on a properly gauged and well framed tempered glass windshield that far aft, you are way beyond a 60' vessel's seakeeping ability and it is time to ready the liferafts.....

Conversely, here is an example of a high endurance, small 44' boat with the right stuff kind of windshield, very close to harm's way and not raked much forward:

Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Joe View Post
When your wheelhouse windows are so far aft, forward raking is not so much for seakeeping safety but more so for being able to oversee a working weatherdeck.
If she is not a working boat, and the wheelhouse is so far aft, raking the windscreen backwards in yacht fashion is quite acceptable.
If you have to worry about boarding seas damage impacting on a properly gauged and well framed tempered glass windshield that far aft, you are way beyond a 60' vessel's seakeeping ability and it is time to ready the liferafts.....
During a momentary lapse of reason, we crossed Nahwitti Bar at the north end of Vancouver Island into the Pacific after the ebb had turned by about 10 minutes. We quickly went from glass smooth to dealing with some stunningly tall waves of very short period. We took one wave completely over Delfin, and I was grateful that her pilot house windows were raked back rather than forward. I think the pressure on them would have been quite a lot greater if they were raked forward, but it's hard to know for sure.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
..... and I was grateful that her pilot house windows were raked back rather than forward. I think the pressure on them would have been quite a lot greater if they were raked forward, but it's hard to know for sure.
You have that overhanging brow of your wheelhouse deckhead too.
Much like in many cases of flybridge boats as well, the bridge brow overhangs forward.
Many people don't realize, but the over hanging brow is designed to break the falling waves in a horizontal axis, therefore dissipating their pressure on the windshield. Given the correct gauging of glass and structurally appropriate framing, most vertical or near vertical windshields can withstand an awful lot of pressure. The 44 motor lifeboat in my post is a perfect example; she was meant to be knocked down and recover.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Joe View Post
You have that overhanging brow of your wheelhouse deckhead too.
Much like in many cases of flybridge boats as well, the bridge brow overhangs forward.
Many people don't realize, but the over hanging brow is designed to break the falling waves in a horizontal axis, therefore dissipating their pressure on the windshield. Given the correct gauging of glass and structurally appropriate framing, most vertical or near vertical windshields can withstand an awful lot of pressure. The 44 motor lifeboat in my post is a perfect example; she was meant to be knocked down and recover.
Thank you Capt. I was not aware that the overhang was a specific design feature, but what you say makes sense.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Come to think of it, overhang is fairly common. Like the Coot, the 60-foot, diesel-electric Keliautojas has a generous overhang.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Come to think of it, overhang is fairly common. Like the Coot, the 60-foot, diesel-electric Keliautojas has a generous overhang.
And a good price: Keliautojas

Nice boat.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Perhaps I missed the point, but I believe he was referring to the overhang below the pilot house windows, which would absorb much of the energy of a deck sweeping wave hitting the pilot house. The eyebrow above the windows is certainly common, if not universal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Close up pilot house.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	13174