Interesting trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both sons are around 6'2" tall compared to their father's (my) 5'8" height. Two more inches and they would be scraping the boat's ceilings.

Don't think the direction your windows slant have a damn thing to do with the headroom in your cabin.

Boy O' Boy - - > I am sure glad Eric and Marin finally got NS/forward- raked windows all figured out.

Hey, what can I say. Eric has an outstanding sense of aesthetics when it comes to boats.

Boy O' Boy - - > I am sure glad Eric and Marin finally got NS/forward- raked windows all figured out.

Hey, what can I say. Eric has an outstanding sense of aesthetics when it comes to boats.

Aw shucks -It's All OK! Strokes for folks and folks for strokes!! I too do not feel forward-raked windows are too pretty on some style craft... I also feel they look fine on others. And, thay do have considerable usefulness under certain conditions. Long as a boat owner is pleased with their boat - Then... ALL IS OK!! :thumb:

Greetings,
ONE advantage of forward raked windows/ports, is the bottom sill is a good place to park your ice cream cone if a sudden or emergency maneuver becomes necessary. The "drip" doesn't get all over the lace doilies around the compass.

Greetings,
ONE advantage of forward raked windows/ports, is the bottom sill is a good place to park your ice cream cone if a sudden or emergency maneuver becomes necessary. The "drip" doesn't get all over the lace doilies around the compass.

Well, there you go. We've been having this problem for fourteen years. Finally an explanation of forward-raked windows that applies to a recreational boat. We're going to have our windows reversed next week. Thanks, RTF. Our compass is almost unreadable from the ice cream residue all over it.

Don't think the direction your windows slant have a damn thing to do with the headroom in your cabin.

Of course not, but they increase the distance between one's nose and the windows, giving a greater sense of spaciousness.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the archives of my old PC, I had a photo of a GB advertised on Yachtworld with the fly-bridge converted into a hard pilothouse with North-Sea style windshield. It was hard to believe the owner would do such a thing to that style of boat, but the broker said it was certified by GB architects. I did come across this GB example that is quite conservative in comparison.

Such an addition is no complement to finely styled boats, but on more awkward designs such as mine, I really couldn't tell you which version (conventional or North-Sea) is more palatable. Meanwhile, I don't mind having the Boeing 247 of boats (even that one had wannabee windows). I didn't photoshop the example below, by the way.

Attachments

• Dockside-2.jpg
    Dockside-2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Somewhere in the archives of my old PC, I had a photo of a GB advertised on Yachtworld with the fly-bridge converted into a hard pilothouse with North-Sea style windshield.

You sure that's not a refabricated 1965 Pacemaker cruiser's hard pilot house FB??? :hide: Only kidding!!! :rofl: :D

Geez Marin. Did you have an acute adverse childhood experience to create this North Sea pilothouse psychosis?

A bad cold and some Fisherman's Friend maybe?

Attachments

• fishermans_friend.jpg
    fishermans_friend.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 541
healhustler said:
Meanwhile, I don't mind having the Boeing 247 of boats (even that one had wannabee windows). I didn't photoshop the example below, by the way.

Only the first few 247s had wannabe windows. Boeing quickly wised up and realized that a) they were draggy as hell and b) they were ugly as hell.

image-10135799.jpg

image-2291956391.jpg

Pacific Song, sister ship Pacific in Barkley Sound

I was kayaking in Barkley Sound in the Broken Group this weekend and saw Pacific Song in the lagoon between Dodd, Turtle and Willis Island at anchor. This was an unfamiliar design to me so I paddled around the stern to see the name and port. A very sweet design, very salty and practical-looking to me.

I spied it again the next day, it looking to be trolling in Barkley Sound while I was kayaking up to Julia Passage. It had a couple of downriggers in the cockpit and looked well set up for fishing. Today, while sailing from Sechart Lodge to Ucluelet on the Francis Barkley, I saw what this thread identifies as the sister ship, the Pacific. See picture attached of the Pacific and Francis Barkley. I would love to know more about the Pacific and the Pacific Song, these are great looking vessels.

For those interested, the Francis Barkley also has an interesting history. It started life in Norway as a car ferry, built in 1958. When the previous Lady Rose was nearing the end of its life the owners of Lady Rose bought the Francis Barkley and sailed it from Norway through the Panama Canal up to its home port in Port Alberni, BC. It is now nearing the end of its life, as the 400 hp Bergen diesel, a relative of a Rolls Royce engine, if difficult to maintain as parts are not stocked. The engineer Kim gave me a tour of the engine room and a photo of the engine follows. It has an air start which I had not seen before in person (open a compressed air valve, pistons start moving, turn a switch and it fires up).

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind - BoatSelect won't allow it to link. But trust me it ain't pretty. It's very hard to add super structure to a boat and do it well. Maybe a naval architect could find a good looking solution but usually it's a fail.

Back
Top Bottom