Interesting transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not my cup of tea but wouldn't say its a bad design. Certainly makes boarding from dock or a tender civilized. I wouldn't want it due to loss of cockpit space.

There was a large (100+?) footer in Brown's Bay Marina for an advertising film shoot/
Had a transom like that. They even spread a carpet on the dock for stepping off.

As to this one, do you think the name is trying to tell you something?

I just wonder how it would do with a large breaking wave from a following sea. The boat is beamy and heavy enough to handle rough seas but I don't like the two open areas on the sides.

Our past boat had a similar stern/transom to that boat. Worked well for what we used it for= coastal cruising, while avoiding bad weather whenever possible. The owner of the OA took that boat through the PC and did extensive cruising so it apparently didn't slow him down in regards to seakeeping.

I had thought for a ling time they were stupid designs. Thinking any fool can see getting “pooped” from a stern wave would be a bad thing.

But I’ve never heard of it happening. Perhaps the reason is that with enough power and speed one tends to outrun the advancing water. But if one’s engine quit at the wrong time .......

That design is so wifey can descend the spiral stairs in her evening gown.

I just wonder how it would do with a large breaking wave from a following sea. The boat is beamy and heavy enough to handle rough seas but I don't like the two open areas on the sides.

Boats of that type don't go out in wx. I honestly think if it did, the transom would be the least of his issues...

Howard: I think you hit the nail on the head. It is the wow factor. I like it, by the way.

With two access ways any water taken over the transom has plenty of room to return where it came from. Would you rather get “pooped” with an enclosed transom and limitited scupper area? I can imagine the OA design draining quite well.if the integrity of the salon door is sufficient, no harm, no foul as they say in the NBA.
It is an Ed Monk design and plenty of boats in that class have similar transom. Wouldn’t mind it one bit.

With two access ways any water taken over the transom has plenty of room to return where it came from. Would you rather get “pooped” with an enclosed transom and limitited scupper area? I can imagine the OA design draining quite well.if the integrity of the salon door is sufficient, no harm, no foul as they say in the NBA.
It is an Ed Monk design and plenty of boats in that class have similar transom. Wouldn’t mind it one bit.
Exactly.... most peoples perception of seaworthiness is misguided by years of reading magazines instead of running boats. ;)

Last edited:
That design is so wifey can descend the spiral stairs in her evening gown.

I don’t recall my wife descending in an evening gown, but I like that visual. Mostly bare feet and flops. Feet often wet from being in and and out of the water all day. ;).

That would make a great charter yacht.

Would you rather get “pooped” with an enclosed transom and limitited scupper area? I can imagine the OA design draining quite well.if the integrity of the salon door is sufficient, no harm, no foul

I spent several days dragging an extra ton or more of water around as I was pooped constantly running in a storm. However the boat was big enough that it actually had little life threatening effect. No harm no foul, as you say.

Still, it is something to avoid and was a lesson learned for future bit design.

My girlfriend once told me she thought the difference between a boat and a yacht was high heels. I'm pretty sure she'd call this one a yacht :D

Pacific Blue wrote;
“With two access ways any water taken over the transom has plenty of room to return where it came from.”

But tons of water in the stern cockpit pushing down even for a short period of time could cause other high seas problems perhaps as a prelude to broaching or worse.

An acquaintance fishing out of an aluminum outboard boat (18’ or 19’) in Alaska sank when swamped as a result of moving all the way aft suddenly. One had a good fish on and the other rushed to help. They both weighed about 300# and the boat went down in a second or two. The stern wave filled the “self bailing well” and w the weight of the passengers aft prevented the boat rising to the occasion so to speak. Stuff happens ..

Last edited:
How safe is it for dogs and small children left unintentionally unattended for a couple of minutes while under way?

Greetings,
Mr. r. NOT safe at all IMO. Regardless of this transom situation, children should never be unattended nor should they ever be on deck without a PFD. When the grand kids were younger I insisted they ALWAYS wear their safety equipment. The Admiral didn't think it was any big deal. She was wrong and didn't like being told so.

Last edited:
Lots of lobster boats around this area have open transoms...

Attachments

• Freds-Boat.jpg
    Freds-Boat.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 77
Greetings,
Mr. R. NOT safe at all IMO. Regardless of this transom situation, children should never be unattended nor should they ever be on deck without a PFD. When the grand kids were younger I insisted they ALWAYS wear their safety equipment. The Admiral didn't think it was any big deal. She was wrong and didn't like being told so.

At this point in my life, 8 grand kids, I look at that transom and see baby gates. For two of the grand kids I see chain link fencing.

Lots of things we do as adults are not only dangerous to us, but especially to kids.

Just putting them in a car in most places..... "The price of freedom" is eternal vigilance is true at many levels.

Last edited:
IMHO it's OA's attempt to emulate some of the megayachts and their double stairways.

Reading the list of passages the vessel has done, from CA to the Bahamas, I would say it is a well proven and safe design, and the Ed Monk Jr. styling is easy on the eyes.

Looking closely, you can see swinging SS gates that would close the two openings, and the swimplatform has sockets for removable rails as a last level of safety.

The ability to shed any water from rain squalls to breaking waves is tremendous on this design with that size of opening at the passageway to the swimplatform, much more capable than an enclosed transom with only cockpit drains in the corners.

You would have to have at least 10 square feet of scuppers built in to match the water shedding capability, assuming each passageway at 2' w x 2.5'h.

Oh, definitely. I see them frequently. But I wouldn't want one on my cruising boat.
Why?

...with minimal body blocking restraints but no water holding capability....what would be the issue?

My take, I like the approach from an atheistic stand point but don't like how much room having that takes. I'd rather have a smaller swim platform and larger cockpit. In the PNW we don't use a huge swim platforms. At least I only use them for coming and going and a place to put my tender. Too much valuable space to take up in the colder climates.

Greetings,
Mr. r. NOT safe at all IMO. Regardless of this transom situation, children should never be unattended nor should they ever be on deck without a PFD. When the grand kids were younger I insisted they ALWAYS wear their safety equipment. The Admiral didn't think it was any big deal. She was wrong and didn't like being told so.

Ha..
Tie a rope between the little buggers ankles and the boat and attach that to a bell so when they go for a swim the bell rings..

HOLLYWOOD

Ha..
Tie a rope between the little buggers ankles and the boat and attach that to a bell so when they go for a swim the bell rings..

HOLLYWOOD

That's the meanest comment I have ever read on TF. Why in the world would you tie the poor little critters up when you can zip tie a water activated air horn around their neck? Works good for us.

Oh, come on, lighten up. I say things like that all the time about our thirteen grandkids, and my wife never bats an eye cuz she knows I'd be the first one in after them - after the bell rang. :)

My grand kids know them as “boatcoats” and they know they need to put them on as soon as they go out of the cabin.

Oh, come on, lighten up. I say things like that all the time about our thirteen grandkids, and my wife never bats an eye cuz she knows I'd be the first one in after them - after the bell rang. :)

That's a good plan. With the air horn I do wait for it to go off. I figure that gives them a little time to learn how to swim a bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom