Interesting transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would refer to it as a Euro transom, but have never seen one on a boat that small

Best,
Maldwin

I haven’t seen that before. Aren’t you concerned about blowing out their eardrums?

Not really. They aren't exposed to it repetitively, long term. Once they have it go off 5-6 times over the course of the summer they learn the lesson. The tricky part is to zip tie it so the horn faces up not down or horizontal. That way you can hear it from the flybridge. If it is facing down in the water then it just sounds like grandma let out a big wet fart in the salon below. We hear that all the time and don't pay any attention to it. You need a sound that attracts attention.

MV Pearkes has a transom like this and was originally built for Royal Canadian police as a rescue vessel Its worth goggle this vessel has had interesting life

That's the meanest comment I have ever read on TF. Why in the world would you tie the poor little critters up when you can zip tie a water activated air horn around their neck? Works good for us.

Why waste a good zip tie? can reuse the same rope again and again.. plus you don't have to bend down to fish them out.. just pull them up by the rope!.. plus you can tire them out by dragging them a bit at a slow idle.
HOLLYWOOD

I have often thought a transom like a pickup truck , the ability to be opened to have a very open cockpit , and be used as a swim platform would be nice.

The dink could be driven aboard every night keeping it safer in many ports. And the dink outboard if not tiny would be a "get home" setup till the gas ran out.

There is a very different boating "feel" to sitting in a cockpit a few inches above the water and observing the water from an oxygen tent 2 or 3 layers up.

Last edited:
I hate designs like that, mainly because they impair easy use the steps from the dock. You can't step from the dock to a second or third step. It's not very convenient, even on the floating docks pictured. Doesn't even appear to be any decent storage accessible from there either.

It’s really meant for getting to the water, or to a tender on a bigger boat. To get to the dock, you would use a passerelle off the stern, or a Marquipt type ladder from the side of the boat.

It’s really meant for getting to the water, or to a tender on a bigger boat. To get to the dock, you would use a passerelle off the stern, or a Marquipt type ladder from the side of the boat.

Exactly. Its a great design if you use your boat for diving, snorkelling and other water sports. I see no issue with the sea worthiness compared to most trawler style boats. It's certainly not designed to be a dock queen.

Believe all the "but it's a pretty design" nonsense you want, but I still think it's ugly and a case of form stupidly overriding function.

I may agree with the ugly part of your comment, particularly on such a small boat, but the design is very functional for water/ tender access on a large boat. Dock access is from the side, or from a passerelle when med moored.

I may agree with the ugly part of your comment, particularly on such a small boat, but the design is very functional for water/ tender access on a large boat. Dock access is from the side, or from a passerelle when med moored.

And where is the passerelle on that boat? Not one in sight. And even if one was present, the lowest step would have people walking right into the passerelle hardware.

This picture captures the problem. Floating dock, tight quarters... leaving no way to take a simple step from the dock onto the boat. Just a narrow strip along the outside, with a grab rail that's likely problematic for guest use.

There's nothing "very functional" about this specific example at all.

I'm all for design choices and many boats do an excellent job of integrating modern looks while retaining good functionality. This just isn't one of them, imnsho of course.

Attachments

• 6889501_20181207141051878_2_XLARGE[1].jpg
    6889501_20181207141051878_2_XLARGE[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 42
in a med moor world...maybe not so bad.

lot's of boats are good at some things, less so in others.

ugly is definitely only a tiny fragment of reality....as we so many things in life people can't categorize and get consensus.

I have often thought a transom like a pickup truck , the ability to be opened to have a very open cockpit , and be used as a swim platform would be nice.

The dink could be driven aboard every night keeping it safer in many ports. And the dink outboard if not tiny would be a "get home" setup till the gas ran out.

I spent some time with the long time owner of the Liz B., a retired 35’ west coast fish boat.

It had a pickup tailgate, which was very handy. Nate used an aluminum skiff, which hauled up easily, or could be towed. The tailgate down made a great place to board the skiff, or access the dock. In the rare rough (inside passage) weather he closed the tailgate and towed the skiff.

The aft deck was watertight with a raised coaming around the fish hold hatch, the tailgate did not seal when closed, but any leakage in a following sea would drain through the scuppers.

I always thought this was a practical design.

9CDF1728-0A9D-477D-8B28-53B11CCB9C34-1744-000000C94D18CFB1.JPG

That's a really practical and great idea. Easy and safe to create, especially with a metal boat.

I love it! Practical... Lots of the east coast canadian boats are doing the same thing, and to a lesser extent, the Downeast lobster boats.

And where is the passerelle on that boat? Not one in sight. And even if one was present, the lowest step would have people walking right into the passerelle hardware.

This picture captures the problem. Floating dock, tight quarters... leaving no way to take a simple step from the dock onto the boat. Just a narrow strip along the outside, with a grab rail that's likely problematic for guest use.

There's nothing "very functional" about this specific example at all.

I'm all for design choices and many boats do an excellent job of integrating modern looks while retaining good functionality. This just isn't one of them, imnsho of course.
We have always had steps with storage on all our floating docks, getting on or off never an issue.

note the euro-style reverse transom

We have always had steps with storage on all our floating docks, getting on or off never an issue.

Sure, when you have the room steps are great, but that shared finger pier looks like it wouldn't offer a lot of room for it. At least not without impeding foot traffic past them. If it wasn't a shared finger pier that would be less of an issue, but it's still no excuse for poor design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom