Interesting read

https://gcaptain.com/icebound-the-cl...eid=5b70bcca05

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I read that article yesterday, it was a good read.
In The Kingdom Of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette.
I enjoyed this book though what those men went through was brutal. There’s a memorial monument to them in the Naval Academy cemetery.

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Other interesting read at the same source. Issues sound familiar.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor 33’
That was good, thank you.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Mr. ASD. IF there is any credibility to the claim that Global ocean clean up is now unrealistic, rather than yet another overhyped “report”, the planet is royally screwed BIG time.
Monies currently being expended on “climate change “ is a complete and utter waste. Attempting to mitigate man’s effect on the climate is useless if he oceans are dying.
Somewhat akin to putting total effort into treating a broken leg when the patient is having a heart attack.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
The Universe has survived and changed for millions of years - mostly without the influence of man kind ... and will likely continue to do so!

Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Other interesting read at the same source. Issues sound familiar.
Bill, Have you read about Shackleton's explorations of Antarctica? Sort of a variation on this theme.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

Mr. ASD. IF there is any credibility to the claim that Global ocean clean up is now unrealistic, rather than yet another overhyped “report”, the planet is royally screwed BIG time.
Monies currently being expended on “climate change “ is a complete and utter waste. Attempting to mitigate man’s effect on the climate is useless if he oceans are dying.
Somewhat akin to putting total effort into treating a broken leg when the patient is having a heart attack.
Man is full of himself, his importance and his significance. If only his humility was a match for his ego.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
Monies currently being expended on “climate change “ is a complete and utter waste.

I certainly hope Greta doesn't see this!
Old 12-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
Enigma

Greetings,

Mr. kt. Ever think about going into politics or working for FOX news? That’s about as good a removal from context I’ve seen in a long while. I’d love to chat with Greta. While she does have the zeal, she’s after the wrong problem IMO. If she crossed the Atlantic by sail boat How could she have failed to see the sorry state it’s (the ocean) in?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
The Universe has survived and changed for millions of years - mostly without the influence of man kind ... and will likely continue to do so!

Yes, the universe will survive, or not, but it's a moot point if we mess up the only planet we can inhabit, at this point.

The story of our stewardship of this planet is extremely complicated, much is still unknown, and unfortunately those that call themselves our leaders and make their living on spreading fear and selling solutions are finding it a fertile ground for their trade. (From ALL sides, I am not supporting anyone here, they are ALL crooks.)

That said, there's an awful lot of us these days and our numbers are increasing exponentially. So is our ability to use the resources around us to shape our environment for better, or for worse.

It will at some point become a matter of survival of the species to reach consensus on how we interact with the world around us.

Whether that moment is now or not.... is up for debate. Consensus is a long, long ways away on this, and many other matters.

So far the human species has a pretty poor track record in the way we treat each other and the world around us.

I'll be gone, long gone but it is something to think about.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
Enigma

Greetings,
THIS sounds too good to be true...https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...newable-diesel
Old 12-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Third Rock out!

Quote:
Greetings,
THIS sounds too good to be true...https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...newable-diesel

RT,
Probably is. Been tried before, issue is cost!

What is really scary, at least to this engineer, is thawing of the permafrost. Once it starts, there's is no going back - and it has started!

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/0...frost-matters/

IMHO - there is only one way to save the species - we gotta get off this rock and soon!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #14
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. O. The article suggests the thawing is past the reversal point. All the more reason to concentrate funds on repairing the two largest carbon sinks on the planet. The oceans and the Amazon rain forest. We'll need them.

While I fully accept that man IS responsible for climate change, I have NEVER seen a definitive statement saying how much man is contributing. ALL such estimates are solely based on computer modeling. Vary the input data and get dozens of "answers".

There is NO need for modeling what is happening to the oceans and forests, it's happening. You can see it. It's non-debatable. It is not some ethereal projection that may or may not be true. Put the $$ into the fix.

Sorry. Rant off.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Scare Politics is nothing new. Neither is Greta.

Quote:
More than two decades ago, in front of world leaders, a young girl from B.C. took to the podium to plead with the planet’s politicians to take action to prevent species extinction and global warming.
Severn Cullis-Suzuki, who was only 12 years old when she addressed the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, became known as “the girl who silenced the world for five minutes.”
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...nced-the-world

Recently I was reading about the Silk Road. The ruins of ancient civilizations in unlikely locations makes me think the conditions for development of those civilizations were far better in the distant past. Climate change may have been with us for eons and eons, long before fossil fuels.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. B. " Climate change may have been with us for eons and eons, long before fossil fuels." That has never been in question IMO. The question has always been, to me at least, how much has and is man contributing to the speed or severity of said change.

Regarding "scare politics". Fully agree. Nothing new but yet again, it's the wrong scare.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
The question has always been, to me at least, how much has and is man contributing to the speed or severity of said change.

I've always wondered the same. It's known that we have at least some impact, but I'm not sure anyone has determined just how much is us vs what would happen anyway. However, at this point, I think of it as changing stuff in a reasonable manner shouldn't hurt. And by the time we have an answer to the big question, if it turns out we do have a significant impact, then it just might be too late. So as much as an answer would be nice, I'm not sure we're capable of getting one, so the safe option is to assume that we're the problem.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #18
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Deforestation for hay production may have been a root of man made climate change.

Quote:
The most important invention of the last two thousand years was hay. In the classical world of Greece and Rome and in all earlier times, there was no hay. Civilization could exist only in warm climates where horses could stay alive through the winter by grazing. Without grass in winter you could not have horses, and without horses you could not have urban civilization. Some time during the so-called dark ages, some unknown genius invented hay, forests were turned into meadows, hay was reaped and stored, and civilization moved north over the Alps. So hay gave birth to Vienna and Paris and London and Berlin, and later to Moscow and New York.

https://www.edge.org/response-detail/10567
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #19
Enigma

Greetings,
A further development that IS doable IMO. As to how much this prerogative might change the environment is debatable but it can't hurt.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/how-...6Kd5PqoSZt-Kn0

I AM doubtful as to the claim that planting large numbers of trees might capture 2/3 of carbon emissions but any improvement is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I certainly hope Greta doesn't see this!
Yes, I'd prefer to not be scream-lectured by a 16 year old semi-hysterical child.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote