An interesting place to visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very, very cool. I looked at HMS Surprise, $1,000! Now, THAT'S a surprise.

Would need to get a taller mainmast, drop the carronades in the hold and add some 9 pound long guns. (Or were they 12 pounders?) And a pair of brass long 9's. :)

O'Brian fans will know what I'm talking about.

I am looking hard at the "Pride of Baltimore". Nice work on that one, Al.

-- Edited by BaltimoreLurker on Saturday 4th of February 2012 10:53:00 AM

For those of you into steam locomotives, you might be interested in this place.

http://www.warthers.com/carving.htm

I had the pleasure of visiting the museum 7 or 8 years ago and was absolutely capitivated by the engines on display and the stories behind their creation - hand carved. Absolutely amazing.

Gary

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
Very, very cool. I looked at HMS Surprise, $1,000! Now, THAT'S a surprise.

Would need to get a taller mainmast, drop the carronades in the hold and add some 9 pound long guns. (Or were they 12 pounders?) And a pair of brass long 9's. :)

O'Brian fans will know what I'm talking about.

"The real Surprise was built as the French L'Unite from August, 1793, to April, 1794, at Le Havre, captured by the Royal Navy on April 20, 1796, and taken into service as the Surprise.***Armament: Upper deck: twenty-four 9-pound long guns; Quarterdeck: eight 4-pound long guns and four 12-pound carronades; Forecastle: two 4-pound long guns and two 12-pound carronades.*******************************************************************

Under Jack Aubrey and with her hull specially strengthened, she typically carried a main battery of 12-pound long guns".******

I think in the movie "Master and Commander", they used the "HMS Rose"*as the Surprise.*************************** * KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 4th of February 2012 07:47:24 PM

Attachments

• 2618187623_27c6d8749d_o.jpg
    2618187623_27c6d8749d_o.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 58
  • surprise_p_port_side_view.jpg
    surprise_p_port_side_view.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 52
  • surprise-r.jpg
    surprise-r.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 55
  • hmssurpriseandtheachelon-600.jpg
    hmssurpriseandtheachelon-600.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 47
ARoss wrote:

Anybody else into ship modeling? Here's acouple of my "plank on frame" efforts from a few years ago. Kits, but stick-built. Very relaxing detail work when you can't work on the real thing.:
*Hi Al

Ship models, well sort of this is a photo of my first of two IOM One Metre fully remote controlled model. Started with just a hull and you do everything else. A bunch of us at my old yacht club built 8 different boats using two hull types. Build time was about 4 months each, two or three nights a week. Boats had three different rigs and sails for various wind strengths from 0 to 40 knots.

The best part after the building was racing them. At one point we had a couple of regattas with the boys from Vancouver. Over 18 boats showed up. Now my two boats are great toys for the kids that attend our club cruises and it is amazing how much respect they give the boats, no damage!

Attachments

• thee.jpg
    thee.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 51
KJ wrote:
I think in the movie "Master and Commander", they used the "HMS Rose"*as the Surprise.****************************

*____________________________________________________

This is the boat that was used in the movie. We leased her for the San Diego Maritime Museum for two years. You can see the boot stripe of the Star of India to the right of Surprise's stern.

Attachments

• surprise.jpg
    surprise.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 53
SeaHorse II wrote:KJ wrote:
I think in the movie "Master and Commander", they used the "HMS Rose"*as the Surprise.****************************

*____________________________________________________

This is the boat that was used in the movie. We leased her for the San Diego Maritime Museum for two years. You can see the boot stripe of the Star of India to the right of Surprise's stern.
"Originally based in Providence, Rhode Island, The HMS Surprise was actually the HMS Rose, a reproduction tall ship built in 1970 at Lunenburg, Nova Scotia by Smith and Rhuland Ltd. The film crew made several alterations to its design to match the 1802 design of the HMS Surprise. The Rose/Surprise has been at the Maritime Museum of San Diego since 2004, but in previous years the HMS Rose was available for tall ship cruises".************* KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 6th of February 2012 07:22:23 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom