Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
Interesting link - 1979 Trawler reviews

Hello all, Whilst Googling a boat part today, I came across this interesting link to a 1979 Boating magazine that had reviews of a LOT of the boats I have been lusting for.

Hope the link works - scroll down to page 49 for the beginning of the reviews or read it from the top - interesting articles and ads too!

Google Books

NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
link no workie

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Drat, OK, I'll try this again. I probably should accept that computers are not a passing fad after allhttp://books.google.com/books?id=sLzMepsGo2UC&lpg=PA55&ots=K7xAPy2LeP&dq=o mc%20power%20pointer%20helm&pg=PA55#v=onepage&q=om c%20power%20pointer%20helm&f=false
Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #4

City: Nokomis
you can use this: MotorBoating - Google Books but you will still have to wander through the magazine to find the articles.

Some info is disturbing. Grand Banks 42 with twin Lehmans $134,900. New. Wow!
Willard 40 with 130 Perkins $110,000

Sept 79 issue.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Very interesting read, thanks for posting. Brings back memories, both good and bad!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That was fun.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Amazing how I remember the advertisements so well.

There were a lot of ugly power boats built then. Very angular lines, high freeboard, and flat sheers.

The sailboats were s bit better. I never knew that Bill Garden designed the Buccaneer...
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry folks for the lousy link attempt. But, as always, you marvelous people find a way! I thought it was a great article (or series of articles) that actually compared a LOT of boats in the same time period. Sort of an "apples to apples" comparison.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Anyone read the article "Close Encounter on the Bahama Bank"?

I bet if they were not armed the story would never have been told, just another lost boat and crew to the ocean.

Like I always said just another tool in the tool box to deal with unexpected crap.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Guru

Spy,
I'd probably be happier not knowing BG designed the Buccaneer.

Actually the lines aren't so bad. But it's so flat and stiff for a sailboat. Gardner was probably told to design a sailboat that was not "tippy".

Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
That was a great trip down memory lane. I recall how much I enjoyed Dick Bradley's' column Thanks.
John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great link. Fun to see the ads too.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #13

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
I read the Willard blurb...it describes the 1979 40' "full house" model and lists the price at $110,000. My Willard 40 wide body sedan is one of only three such yachts produced before the company narrowed the house to add side decks in 1980. I'm biased, of course, but we really enjoy the spacious saloon made possible by the 10'x11" interior. Also, the sweep of the 5 front windows that make her stand out in an anchorage, 2 more windows than in the later models. Nice to know that some of these classic trawlers are selling for more now then when new. But just think if instead of a Willard, you bought a So Cal house in 1979 for $110k -- today it would be worth millions! I guess that says a lot about the real value of boats ;-)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Guru

Did you notice the 1.3gph at 6 knots?

Not bad when you consider that my W30 burns 1gph to make 6.15 knots.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Very nice return to yesteryear! Thanks, for posting that boat mag link!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sortie View Post
That was a great trip down memory lane. I recall how much I enjoyed Dick Bradley's' column Thanks.
John

I have a book of several of Dick Bradley's articles, I really enjoyed it. They were published before my involvement with boats and I think they're just as appropriate and funny today.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
So, if a GB 42 sold new for $135K, why are the prices about the same, or in some instances, more today? Thirty five year old boat, possible thousands of hours on engines, maybe outdated electronics, outdated interior designs. Probably canvas that needs to be replaced. Things that make you go hummmm. I really must be missing something. I've never owned a boat I thought I could profit from.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
So, if a GB 42 sold new for $135K, why are the prices about the same, or in some instances, more today? Thirty five year old boat, possible thousands of hours on engines, maybe outdated electronics, outdated interior designs. Probably canvas that needs to be replaced. Things that make you go hummmm. I really must be missing something. I've never owned a boat I thought I could profit from.
I have made profit on boats before. But, you better get it in really good condition to begin with and keep it that way or better during ownership; as well as having paid a discount price from the get-go and then selling it in correct economic climate.

Reason that very well built boats from reputable builder names are similar in dollar cost today as back when built Ė Itís Called: Inflation!

If you went to build same boat new today instead of the original $135K cost from yesteryear - Try $300K to $500K!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I have made profit on boats before. But, you better get it in really good condition to begin with and keep it that way or better during ownership; as well as having paid a discount price from the get-go and then selling it in correct economic climate.

Reason that very well built boats from reputable builder names are similar in dollar cost today as back when built Ė Itís Called: Inflation!

If you went to build same boat new today instead of the original $135K cost from yesteryear - Try $300K to $500K!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art
We bought our current boat, a Catalina 36, new in 1999 for $141,000. Since that time we have added over $40K in upgrades/maintenance. It has never looked anything other than delivery day new. I think I have it sold for $102,000 including a slip for this season. No broker, so, I get to keep the whole think. Now I can add another $50K out of my pocket and hope to find a 30+ year old trawler that needs who knows what and hope that it will last for awhile. Finding a boat that offers a few more creature comforts is like getting old (which we are), it ain't for sissy's.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
We bought our current boat, a Catalina 36, new in 1999 for $141,000. Since that time we have added over $40K in upgrades/maintenance. It has never looked anything other than delivery day new. I think I have it sold for $102,000 including a slip for this season. No broker, so, I get to keep the whole think. Now I can add another $50K out of my pocket and hope to find a 30+ year old trawler that needs who knows what and hope that it will last for awhile. Finding a boat that offers a few more creature comforts is like getting old (which we are), it ain't for sissy's.
Bp - Congrats on sellen ya boat!

If I understand you correctly... youíre planning to spend $152K on a 30 +/- yr old trawler. What size/make you talking?? I don't know boat values in your district, but, for that type of payola in SF region there are some outstanding BIG Old, but in good condition, high quality boats for sale. Shopping is what itís all about in the used boat market. Some owners want Big Buck$$$ for their prized baby... others donít.

And, some brand names carry a premium price just because of their name. A boat thatís 30 yrs old dollar value is not so much because of the original builder (although there are some builders to shy away from)... but rather the condition of boat and how well it was looked after by previous owner(s). There are good and bad and medium deals in the used boat market. If money is an issue Ė careful shopping will usually turn up some real good boat-deals!

Best luck! - Art