Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #21

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
OK, this is reaching into the back recesses of my brain, but I believe that you are looking at a hull from Halmatic in England, originally designed for patrol boats. I think that in the last days of existence Owens finished a few of these hulls in the US.
Now that I reflect, I think it was Matthews, not Owens.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Here they are, one and two......Thanks to Scott for reminding me where to look....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tramontana.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	18313

Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
Guru

And the Watson hull sections.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zingara.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	18314
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #24
FF
Guru

The shape is that of a plaining hull, so for folks that like operating at 1/4 mpg would be a great choice.

IF it would have smoothed the ride crashing into waves , or get higher on the step , the design would be copied and in use everywhere.

That it remains a one off should give a clue!

AS a displacement cruiser the tiny rudders and major surface area would make it a poor choice.

Never moved , a dockside gin palace might be its best use.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ahhh ... Thank you much TAD and Scott. Indeed there was something to my foggy recollections. I think I had a book at one time that covered all that racing stuff at Cowes in England.

The Watson hull dosn't look warped to me but interestingly it has the same QBB as the boat in the beginning of this thread. With both the transom is smaller than the midships section .... but w the same deadrise. Perhaps I don't have a propper understanding of "warped". I thought it was decreasing deadrise in the aft sections.

This type of hull (Watson and the OP hull) is kind of magical in that at displacement speeds it's semi-disp and w enough fwd motion the QBBL would become horizontal and then achieve a positive angle w more speed and actually become a planing hull. The QBBL would need to be straight though and that may require some angle of attack. By the way TAD a great many here do know what the QBBL is.
The "ragged chine" should be effective at reducing spray but I think the Watson hull actually would be more efficient due to her lesser deadrise. I was in college then and fascinated by all these boats and especially the Moppie in Miami. Soon after I found out how much power these deep deadrise hulls required I was inspired to design my own boat that addressed that shortcoming but w it's own more significant shortcoming. It needed to be of very light disp to perform well and suffered from excessive wetted surface area.

There was a boat that I practically worshiped and I can remember her form quite accurately even now. She was the Woodpecker of Poole. May have been in that same book in another chapter. Woodpecker was about 65' long and fairly narrow. She was more like a stretched out Krogen than anything else contemporary that I can think of but had less freeboard and much less house and top hamper. What I remember most about her was her extremely beautiful form. I'll never forget the Woodpecker of Poole.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Perhaps it is an exaggerated application of "riblets" or attempts at biomemtic duplication of the drag reduction created by the longitudinal grooving seen in sharkskin.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
There was a boat that I practically worshiped and I can remember her form quite accurately even now. She was the Woodpecker of Poole. May have been in that same book in another chapter. Woodpecker was about 65' long and fairly narrow. She was more like a stretched out Krogen than anything else contemporary that I can think of but had less freeboard and much less house and top hamper. What I remember most about her was her extremely beautiful form. I'll never forget the Woodpecker of Poole.
Eric
Woodpecker of Poole is for sale.........she is beautiful!

70 ft Laurent Giles Semi-displacement Motor Yacht 1948 Jack Laurent Giles RA Newmans & Sons of Poole. Project yacht from classic yacht broker Sandeman Yacht Company..
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #28

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
There was a boat that I practically worshiped and I can remember her form quite accurately even now. She was the Woodpecker of Poole. May have been in that same book in another chapter.
Yes, a stunning boat. Just FYI it was the designer's personal yacht.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Eric
Woodpecker of Poole is for sale.........she is beautiful!
Magnificent!!!!!!!!!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
Guru

YES SHE IS BEAUTIFUL.

A little larger than I remember and even a higher aspect ratio than I remember. I love the fact that her beauty hasn't been spoiled by a larger house, a bow pulpit and such but I see she now has a swim step. It's a shame to hide (even to a small extent) that beautiful transom. I see she still has the anchor crane on the bow and probably the original anchor winch. SO many details to see. I like her aft mooring cleats and the 45 degree board where the cabin side and deck meet.

I figured out how to make these pics full screen and am in heaven viewing them. She is listed as a semi-planing boat and at 19hp per ton she must be. Still she has a 1000 mile range and runs at 8 knots at 3 gph. Not bad for a semi-disp hull. I could live w a 35' version of the Woodpecker. That's a thought to drool over and relative to that thought TAD's Yellow Cedar would probably be a better boat than a scaled down Woodpecker.

Thank you very much rochepoint for posting this link.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
From the sales description of the particular boat in question:
The Poseidon Class 53' Motor Yacht is built on solid fiberglass hull 4" thick. The semi displacement hull is designed and utilized for the Royal National Life Saving Service, UK. The hull design is a semi-custom yacht and one of eight that were finished out as private yachts instead of government service. Repowered in Nov 2004 with Volvo TAMD63P-A

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #32

It may not know what it wants to be ie planning, semi displacement or fulldisplacement but I love the looks of the entire craft, if it is a variation of a RNLI design its probably a very capabill and safe boat.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
Guru

expat,
"capabill and safe" ???
Who cares ... look at it.
Just fun'in ya expat.
With 19hp per ton it's either a semi-disp or a very overpowered displacement boat.

Woody/Tony,
You're not making yourself clear ... are you talking about Woodpecker? 4" thick hull? Sounds heavy but I'm not usually in the company of 70 footers. But it says she's got Sabre's. What's this about Volvo's.

You must be talk'in about a different boat.???

Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
From the sales description of the particular boat in question:
The Poseidon Class 53' Motor Yacht is built on solid fiberglass hull 4" thick. The semi displacement hull is designed and utilized for the Royal National Life Saving Service, UK. The hull design is a semi-custom yacht and one of eight that were finished out as private yachts instead of government service. Repowered in Nov 2004 with Volvo TAMD63P-A

Quote:
expat,

You must be talk'in about a different boat.???
He's talking about the boat. You know. The one that this thread is about.

Hint: It is not Woodpecker of Poole.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #35
FF
Guru

The Poseidon Class 53' Motor Yacht is built on solid fiberglass hull 4" thick.

I'm not sure a solid GRP that was 4 inches thick could be given enough power to get that weight up on the plane.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #36
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I could get into this Poseidon boat except for the weird hull design. Exterior lines (from waterline up) look nice to me and interior looks nice as well and price is good for this size boat. Except for the fact I also am not a volvo fan, this hull would be too problematic I think to really want to own. I can't imagine difficulty in bottom paint or haven forbid blister repair. It would be interesting to see how the hull rides but since I cruise at trawler speed regardless of hp, I think it would be a mute point.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
Guru

I think the Poseidon would cruise at hull speed also as she lacks the power to do anything else judging from her small propellers. I suppose though the apparent size of the props may be misleading. The much increased wetted surface of the "ragged" hull may not have that much effect at trawler speeds and unless I'm wrong about the props hull speed it will be. It's probably sellable though as lots of people have enough money that the fuel burn and the Volvo parts cost would be fly stuff.

Most people don't like odd things so if she was for sale the price would probably be right.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
Guru

Well she has a good name, "Big Trouble"......

Re-powered 9 years ago and 150 engine hours since, 16.5 cruising hours per year? Asking $163k......Big, heavy, short boat with over 700HP installed, not a happy cruiser IMM........
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: NA
Vessel Model: NA
Quote:
Ahhh ... Thank you much TAD and Scott. Indeed there was something to my foggy recollections. I think I had a book at one time that covered all that racing stuff at Cowes in England.

The Watson hull dosn't look warped to me but interestingly it has the same QBB as the boat in the beginning of this thread. With both the transom is smaller than the midships section .... but w the same deadrise. Perhaps I don't have a propper understanding of "warped". I thought it was decreasing deadrise in the aft sections.

This type of hull (Watson and the OP hull) is kind of magical in that at displacement speeds it's semi-disp and w enough fwd motion the QBBL would become horizontal and then achieve a positive angle w more speed and actually become a planing hull. The QBBL would need to be straight though and that may require some angle of attack. By the way TAD a great many here do know what the QBBL is.
The "ragged chine" should be effective at reducing spray but I think the Watson hull actually would be more efficient due to her lesser deadrise. I was in college then and fascinated by all these boats and especially the Moppie in Miami. Soon after I found out how much power these deep deadrise hulls required I was inspired to design my own boat that addressed that shortcoming but w it's own more significant shortcoming. It needed to be of very light disp to perform well and suffered from excessive wetted surface area.

Go to yachtworld.com and enter "woodpecker" as the keyword, and you'll find her. A Laurent Giles design, and she's beautiful. Got 600k?

Ouch, I just noticed that Mike beat me to it. Oh well, it was worth repeating... love that master stateroom!

I do think that the hull in this thread is an attempt to duplicate the lapstrake hull. My 38' 1968 Chris Craft Sea Skiff Corinthian was the best boat in a Chesapeake chop that I ever saw, very soft on entry, and just wouldn't pound at 12 kts, her sweet spot. I got about 1 mpg with her on plane at that speed. If most of the hull is riding out of the water, why the worry about the strakes making more wetted surface?
thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
Guru

thurman,

Because the Poseidon hasn't got the thrust to plane. But that's just my opinion. If she does your'e right.

See the link in post #27.