Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #41
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Hadn't read the specifics detail on the site. It well would be that 400 plus hp to drive this rig. It is not as you state, in a single 671. I really believe the stats are confused not correct. What is depicted as the main is a 671. As far as I recall, even juiced to the hilt for a 671 400 hp would be a stretch and expect the engine to operate for the normal many house in marine duty.
However, as Eric is very good about using the lest hp for the max of hull performance, perhaps he will expound on your observation. It is inconceivable that the two dinky Perkins are allocated the responsibility of supporting the general cruising of this size vessel. nor is it conceivable that idling or stopping the main and driving the vessel under the power capacity of two dinky Perkins.

Al

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #42
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
The ad claims 7.5 knots at 1500RPM on the 6-71, burning 4.5 gph. That's about right and indicates a 6-71N, which is rated at about 240 HP at 2200 RPM. With a bit of creativity you can add the 144HP wing engines to the 240 of the main and get 425......

The single 6-71 running at 1500 is just fine for this big heavy boat. 4.5 gph is about 90HP......

Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #43
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Look under specs on the sale sheet. The 6-71 is listed at 424, then the wing engines are listed as 72hp each. Now look at the line that says Engines: total hp 568.

I would like that boat with the 6-71 by itself.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The brokers just were casual w their numbers. Screwing up the numbers a bit just attracts a little attention and brokers don't think that's a bad thing.

Al you make me sound like a hybrid type guy and I'm not. Too much weight, power and just about anything else is a stupid waste. I just don't like excess Al. Thanks for pay'in attention though.

This tri-motor steelie has 5hp per ton w only the DD. That's exactly what Willy has and I consider her to be very slightly overpowered. I suspect the Perky's were not part of the original design and in most ways not a positive addition to this vessel. Perhaps if the main were to be a 4-71 .....

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #45
Al
Guru

No Eric, you are not considered hybrid until you install those funny sunny things connected to your batteries and running a electric egg beater!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #46
Guru

What do you know about "sunny" Al?

I was born in Juneau and probably didn't see the sun till I was 2 or 3 months old. As a result my eyes are sensitive to bright sunlight. My favorite weather is cloudy and not raining. Most of the time that means not breezy either. Like

Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #47
Al
Guru

Thread drift!!! Eric-"Not Breezy" in your case is an oxymoron.

Al--Ketchikan June rainfall 13 inches
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #48
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The fore section is not very unusual except for her obvious heft. But the aft section is short by comparison and has a very steep buttock line.
Nice steelwork, smooth round bottom. Seems to have the U/W shape of a lightship.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #49
Guru

makobuilders wrote,
"Seems to have the U/W shape of a lightship."

What's "UV shape"?
I see what your'e thinking or seeing but the rockered banana shape is missing. I've not seen a Lightship showing her hull so I really don't know but basically I'd say no different shape. I think the Lightships had a wider hull at the WL like old sailing ships. Not sure so maybe your comparison is good.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #50
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here's the only lightship I'm familiar with (sailed around it several times in the 1960s while it was anchored off the entrance to San Francisco Bay). Don't you just love the mushroom anchor? Presumably, its crews became accustomed to its continual intermittent fog horn.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #51
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Check-out this seriously equipped (if not a bit over-powered) 30 ft. trawler.

1983 Wetmore Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 ft. trawler.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	31551  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Check-out this seriously equipped (if not a bit over-powered) 30 ft. trawler.

1983 Wetmore Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I don't believe the broker. No one is stupid enough to dump a half million dollars into rebuilding a 30ft boat with 2/3 of its hull plating rusted away. Statements like that will prevent it from selling!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #53
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I don't believe the broker. No one is stupid enough to dump a half million dollars into rebuilding a 30ft boat with 2/3 of its hull plating rusted away.
I do believe the broker - and I think you misread the hull plating.

Odd that there are no pictures of the engine space, and the one helm photo not well cropped.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #54
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Interesting boat for sure. I want to like it, but all I see is me on my hands and knees with a needlegun all day for quite a while.

Hmmm... I have the exact same "Antique" brass helm wheel from Scotland. The radar appears to be of similar antiquity.

Those are some boogery looking welds on the aft starboard corner of the pilothouse, above the shore power.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I do believe the broker - and I think you misread the hull plating.

Odd that there are no pictures of the engine space, and the one helm photo not well cropped.
"Every inch of the hull has been tested and approximately two-thirds of the hull plates have been replaced."

Wow, a half mil gets you this level of interior finish? I don't think even Feadship would charge that much to rebuild a boat this size! Don't boat brokers have some sort of professional obligation to state accurate facts about a boat and not just take a seller's outlandish remarks for granted???

Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #56
Guru

City: Georgia
Let's see, my time @ $120 an hour, lots and lots - and lot of hours later. Travel to and from the marine supply store "Boat Depot" as it were. Return trips to buy what you forgot the first time. A third trip to get what you really needed to fix the problem. Another return trip the next day to get what you need to fix the problems uncovered while fixing the problem you could see. Yeah. Half mil of work on the boat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #57
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I say we all start prank calling him. Make some offers. start a bidding war. something.
Ask to see the receipts that total half a million?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #58
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. I'd leave him well enough alone. I'm sure he doesn't need any "prank calls". IF he indeed was foolish enough to have spent $.5M refurbishing a $300K vessel, he has more problems than he can deal with at the moment. If that $.5M is the brokers addition, I'd suggest the broker be very careful. MJ is NOT legal in NC yet.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #59

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Many boats,
U/W ?
Under water ?
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #60
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Just because I had some time, I called the broker who listed this boat. It's a donation, and even though the hull had substantial plating replaced there is currently an issue with the bilge where...wait for it...the current owner poured something to add weight to the boat to reduce the rolling because...can you imagine...the boat was "a bit top-heavy".

The broker does not have the $.5mm receipts in hand but has talked to the yard where the majority of the work was performed and believes that it was indeed spent.

I wasn't able to get a solid story on exactly why the hull was substantially re-plated, except that it might have been because the plate that was originally used was under-sized. I had originally read the ad to mean that the re-plating might have been done for any number of reasons other than rust (easier to remove the engine, replacing / enlarging tanks, changing the hull form) but now I truly have no idea why it was done.

Also, did anyone else notice that the price dropped THIS MORNING from $103K(ish) to $95K? Not related to this discussion, just because "it was time for a price drop".

refugio is offline   Reply With Quote