Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never had trouble moving and or installing the 3 (or was it 4) 8Ds on my N46.
When I had them replaced, the removal and installation was part of the price. :D
8D are meant to be removed and installed by either high school or college foot ball players. They were in the fwd port corner, outboard of the main engine. Had to be lifted out of the corner, OVER the engine, up and out of the engine room.

Dan - No PM's for you?? That's what it says when trying... Cheers!! Art

Even as a young person, no way am I moving 8Ds. My L16 house batteries are bad enough, but they're a good 35 lbs lighter than an 8D and an easier shape to lift (handles closer together). Plus, I can stand next to them for the initial lift (and then pass them off to another person), so there's no awkward lifting them from below floor level kind of problems.

Being already in love with Katherine Jane. :smitten:

Looking at attached photo [showing mast to bridge prow junction] I hope that mast fastener collar is rugged. If size has anything to do with its strength... that photo puts a chill in my bones for high winds / rough water.

Based upon my N46 with sail rig, any light in pilot house or moon light, at night, will reflect into the pilot house and into the eyes of the helmsman. I would suggest that part of the mast be painted black.

Soooo, where's that switch? It should be ON but I cannot find the switch.

I forget how to get into our own [each individual member's] set up... but, it is there somewhere. And, as I recall... the yes/no PM switch is therein. :facepalm: :eek:

Good Luck! :thumb:

I forget how to get into our own [each individual member's] set up... but, it is there somewhere. And, as I recall... the yes/no PM switch is therein. :facepalm: :eek:

Good Luck! :thumb:

Fat lot of help you are :lol:

Based upon my N46 with sail rig, any light in pilot house or moon light, at night, will reflect into the pilot house and into the eyes of the helmsman. I would suggest that part of the mast be painted black.

Even glossy black was too intrusive with big sodium lights on the Bering Sea trawlers. It’s dark so much, and we work the boat 24/7 We went to flat black on the bow cap rail. One of those “small things” that add up?

Being already in love with Katherine Jane. :smitten:

Looking at attached photo [showing mast to bridge prow junction] I hope that mast fastener collar is rugged. If size has anything to do with its strength... that photo puts a chill in my bones for high winds / rough water.

Point well taken, thanks for the heads up.I went back through older images and see the mast had stays to the rail. The aft boom is well stayed (to swing loads) all the rigging is SS and looks fairly new. I will be up the mast shaking things up to see if we got a problem. Rigging masts with synthetic is something I helped develop. I brought the rope (Dynex Dux) down from AK. that came from Iceland. A friend made a biz of it. Stronger and less stretch than steel wire, at 1/9th the weight.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 6.58.12 PM.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

Even glossy black was too intrusive with big sodium lights on the Bering Sea trawlers. It’s dark so much, and we work the boat 24/7 We went to flat black on the bow cap rail. One of those “small things” that add up?

Ah yup, the perfect color, flat black.

If this was posted, I missed it. Seems a little "niche", but a decent little passagemaker, apparently.

https://juneau.craigslist.org/bod/d/nordland-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7219139390.html

Anyone ever run across her, a Washington boat now?

Their Sailblog link: www.sailblogs.com/member/silverado

I saw this boat in San Carlos Sonora a few years back. Word was it took 20 years for the builder to complete. It had no canvas at the time. I ran into it a month ago in Port Townsend on the hard. https://www.seamarineco.com

Last edited:
If this was posted, I missed it. Seems a little "niche", but a decent little passagemaker, apparently.

https://juneau.craigslist.org/bod/d/nordland-ft-custom-pilothouse-cutter/7219139390.html

Anyone ever run across her, a Washington boat now?

Their Sailblog link: www.sailblogs.com/member/silverado
That boat was built more toward sailing than a motorsailing. She has whisker poles on a track system that allows them to be kept stowed on the mast when not in use. That's a rare thing to see on cruising sail boats and even more rare if it all on motorsailors. Also her rigging is more substantial than what I have seen on motorsailors twice her size.

Argonaut II

https://seattle.boatshed.com/classic_73_doubleended_motor_yacht-boat-272704.html

Here is a classic that lived in Boat Harbour (near Dodd narrows) while owned by a BC engineer, Julian Madsen.
We often saw her up the coast before JM sold to the present seller. Before him, Argonaut II was a "mission boat" that supported many of the small communities up the coast. Before that, originally built for service to the McMillan Bloedel coastal mills and logging operations.
Still apparently in classic good condition.

https://seattle.boatshed.com/classic_73_doubleended_motor_yacht-boat-272704.html

Here is a classic that lived in Boat Harbour (near Dodd narrows) while owned by a BC engineer, Julian Madsen.
We often saw her up the coast before JM sold to the present seller. Before him, Argonaut II was a "mission boat" that supported many of the small communities up the coast. Before that, originally built for service to the McMillan Bloedel coastal mills and logging operations.

A slender old Bell! Looks nice. :thumb:

Argonaut II predates MacBlo. She was built for the Powell River Company in 1922.

Used to see pictures of her in the mill.

She's a beauty.

If I had the credentials, I would love to use that boat for dinner cruises, weekenders, and week long cruises. I know I wouldn't get rich but it would be worth it to take people up through Canada and around the Islands. Dinner cruises along the Columbia River. I could day dream all day. :D

The Argonaut II was the United Church of Canada mission boat Thomas Crosby IV based in Ocean Falls. My father was the United Church minister in Ocean Falls during the early sixties. Have many fond memories of that boat from my teenage years.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Fully agree. I get enough spam e-mails without registering with yet another source (Boatshed). Screw you Boatshed!

iu

UserCP: Settings & Options: Edit Options: Messaging & Notifications: Private Messaging:

Check: Enable Private Messaging

Uncheck: Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators

Hope that helps

Oh yea, I unchecked what you suggested. Hope that solves the problem
Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D :dance:
Dan.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Fully agree. I get enough spam e-mails without registering with yet another source (Boatshed). Screw you Boatshed!

iu

I do hope boat shed is happy. When I see I have to register to read their ad, I dont.

Gorgeous boat, well at least the one single photograph that I can actually see. Why do brokers so often require signing in to view info. Perhaps in the future they'll start charging money to see their valuable wears

Here you go...

[youtube]6sqrx8U3uLw[/youtube]

Last edited:
I never had trouble moving and or installing the 3 (or was it 4) 8Ds on my N46.
When I had them replaced, the removal and installation was part of the price. :D
8D are meant to be removed and installed by either high school or college foot ball players. They were in the fwd port corner, outboard of the main engine. Had to be lifted out of the corner, OVER the engine, up and out of the engine room.

I've got 18 of them down there
Only moved two of them myself.
Leave the old ones down there, why get rid of free ballast?

Alaskaflyer, Thanks for getting us in to see the boats.
After 2 hours ..... looking at boats and day dreaming.... I restarted my life.
They are definitely beautiful wooden boats for the folks with deeper pockets than I have.

Greetings,

iu

Ah Mr RT, I am a bit surprised by this.
I was admittedly a Boatshed skeptic myself though perhaps in more reserved terms than this.
I listened to the case for this and studied the alternative platforms as we elected to take two boats to market.
As with many other professional platforms, there is an opt out choice available for those with with only a passing curiosity. There is also a mostly opt out choice that only includes price change notifications, and there is an opt in choice for those seriously buying that can bring you similar boats on or new to the market that are similar to the boat you have looked at.
What differentiated the platform enough to convince me is the capacity to include voluminous details and photos for those who really want to dig in and yet are not ready to speak to a broker. Over a hundred photos are generally included so no more complaining about lack of machinery space photos for Mr RT. They use VR 360 photos that give you a sense of actuallty being in selected spaces in order to look around. There are detailed videos with broker commentary and the general requirement, due to the size of the information pool included, that the broker really needs to get to know the vessel before they take it to market.
What sealed the deal for us is that the platform does not require exclusivity. The boat can also be listed on any other platform. As an example, it may be worth comparing our listings on YW and Boatshed. If you really want to get an insight into a vessel before you pick up the phone, there is really no comparison in the amount of detail you can acquire before you pick up the phone or move on.
I am a convert. I may search YW as previously, but if I really want details on a particular vessel and it is listed on Boatshed, then I will will give them my email and that is where I will find that level of detail. I can opt out of getting emails or not as I so choose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom